Connoisseur's Diary

scout24

Flashaholic
Nice65- As stated, it's my Wife's enjoyment, I just play along and enjoy what she likes. It is very good, and the texture is fantastic. I like hard cheeses best, the brie, while good, is not my cup of tea. Even if it is double cream... Cruccolo is another that I enjoy... :)

FlashlightWidow

Newly Enlightened
Sweet, er sweet, Mrs Guru will be all over this. Come to think of it, this will be the first official CPF post that she is interested in. :clap:

Hey I saw that!

Don't you dare go look at the original post date. Just don't, Ok.

I add Yumm Sauce from Cafe Yumm. Savory but not salty. The stuff is addictive. They put it on rice & bean bowls, we also use it as a dressing & dip. An Oregon thing, but available on their web site http://www.cafeyumm.com/shop.html

Mrs Guru

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
So there's this place in Portland called Voodoo Doughnut, a very unique little shop that has quite the menu; some samples:
[...]
They'll sell you a 12-hour old BUCKET of random doughnuts for $5.. :eek:oo:
Funny but this just came up during lunch conversation today, one of their donut buckets showed up in the office yesterday morning. I ate one donut that was the size of a paper plate, literally. Apparently the buckets are $7 now - which wouldn't stop me one bit. :devil:

I add Yumm Sauce from Cafe Yumm. Savory but not salty. The stuff is addictive. They put it on rice & bean bowls, we also use it as a dressing & dip. An Oregon thing, but available on their web site.
We've hit the Cafe Yumm in Corvallis for their rice&bean bowls, it was 'ok' but we were a bit disappointed on the meager serving size for the money. :sigh:

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Mexican Coca-Cola
Coke changed from sugar to corn syrup for most/all their US sold soda some time ago (plug: see the movie King Corn). For some reason, Coke made in Mexico is still made the old way and its now being imported. Restaurant price: $3/bottle. Costco price: $0.85/bottle.
Three years late, Australian Coke always has been made using sugar.

Norm

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I ate one donut that was the size of a paper plate, literally.

Ah oh, got one of them within bicycling distance :eek:

We've hit the Cafe Yumm in Corvallis for their rice&bean bowls, it was 'ok' but we were a bit disappointed on the meager serving size for the money. :sigh:

Hmmm. They have three sizes, maybe they served the small by mistake? :thinking:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's a bold statement to put a dead pirate captain in the midst of a gale on the label of your beer, but if ever a book lived up to its cover, this would be the example. A deep, rich porter with a jet black coffee streak that comes across as remarkably drinkable and not anymore spirituous than a mild stout; midway through your tasting you find yourself degrading at a remarkable rate, only to then note that this is in fact ten percent ABV.. Ya best start believin' in ghost stories..

ibjJSVDN0ql1Bf.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
not just a dead pirate captain, but also his dead parrot on his shoulder! Cool label. :)

The joys of a great porter or stout! Yumm! Definitely one of my vices.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch The Fog from 1980 to complete the effect___________^

... on that note

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
________^

there's not much better in life than a couple really good beers & a big slice of great pizza.

Like a Sierra Pale w/ a Hawaiian slice or a Full Sail Amber w/ any'slice

Milwaukee is just south of me and I'm not sure how many billions of gallons of beer have been produced there,,
but when I lived in Portland OR, they had the best beer festivals.

nbp

Flashaholic
________^

there's not much better in life than a couple really good beers & a big slice of great pizza.

Like a Sierra Pale w/ a Hawaiian slice or a Full Sail Amber w/ any'slice

Milwaukee is just south of me and I'm not sure how many billions of gallons of beer have been produced there,,
but when I lived in Portland OR, they had the best beer festivals.

Hey orbital, on the 20th there is a great beer festival in Cathedral Square Park downtown, called the Firkin Fest. I have gone the past few years and will be there with a few friends this year too. You should come down and check it out. Admission gets you a Fest pint glass and unlimited sampling from loads of craft brewers - one of my favorite tastings to go to.

http://www.milwaukeefirkin.com/main.html

If you decide to come, let me know, I'd be glad to meet you in person after all these years. ;)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey orbital, on the 20th there is a great beer festival in Cathedral Square Park downtown, called the Firkin Fest. I have gone the past few years and will be there with a few friends this year too. You should come down and check it out. Admission gets you a Fest pint glass and unlimited sampling from loads of craft brewers - one of my favorite tastings to go to.

http://www.milwaukeefirkin.com/main.html

If you decide to come, let me know, I'd be glad to meet you in person after all these years. ;)

+

That sounds like a blast, but I'll be at the Brian Redman event that whole weekend.

What about Kettle Moraine day hike or somethin' like that,,? Forest map [PDF]:)

nbp

Flashaholic
+

That sounds like a blast, but I'll be at the Brian Redman event that whole weekend.

What about Kettle Moraine day hike or somethin' like that,,? Forest map [PDF]:)

Yeah that could work out, we'll have to make a plan of it. :)

For you dark beer lovers, try Contorter Porter from Ale Asylum out of Madison WI. One of my favorite porters.