Considering a replacement dutylight

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my Klarus XT11 since 2011 without fault, 800-900Lm is still decent light output but it's time to step up the illumination factor, the only problem is charging ports... I don't want them, so many lights seem to have them as standard.

The Jetbeam TH16 released in 2023 seems to be on point as I can live with a removable C-port battery, are there any other lights (without charging ports OR magnetic charging docks) I may have overlooked? 🤔

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
An external charging port is a deal breaker, so many otherwise suitable lights (including Fenix) appear to have adopted it as almost standard... the dual fuel Fury has potential 👍

Last edited:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
My 2 cents worth: I am over 70 years old, and have a flashlight aficionado for about 50 years. For about 20 years, I was active in helping lots of LEOs obtain, upgrade or maintain their lights. It has been very funny over the years to hear stories of my officers being asked to go over to another cop's call because of their flashlight.

this thread describes one such light from many years ago: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/the-story-of-a-hero-cop-and-his-flashlight.482601/

Over the decades I have owned or maintained many hundreds (maybe thousands) of lights of many many types and makers. Some ideas to keep in mind while selecting.

1. Pick a light that takes 18650 batteries. For lots of reasons.
2. KISS. The fewer levels the better.
3. Try to avoid any company that does not REALLY have a no questions asked lifetime warrantee. That basically means, buy American Made. Surefire and Malkoff have always been totally outstanding in honoring their lights. Unfortunately, I have not had a single China made light that either had no warrantee, or for which it was a huge hassle (send back to China on your dime, and we will see. You may hear back, or maybe not, within several months.) And, yes, that includes some American run companies who have their lights made in China. Now, some of the new companies, like PowerTac, I have not had experience with.
4. Verify that your department approves the specific light, if required.
5. Really think about how you will be carrying and using your light. Lots of officers just prefer to use an armpit hold for many light uses, like writing tickets. So, a two 18650 might be most useable in the long run.
6. Don't get too attached to turn-on lumen or candela output. Look rather at the actual out put over the first 3-5 minutes.
7. Consider having a smaller light for admin or close duties, and a larger one for search or other purposes. This is in addition to a small keychain light: A Surefire Titan Plus has served me and many others without fail since they were first released.

8. Avoid electronic switching and stick with mechanical switching lights. The old Surefire 6p or Malkoff M series are perfect examples.

Here are my recommendations:
For a single light: Surefire Fury Intellibeam, Cloud Defensive EDC DF, or Malkoff MD2 with M61 SHO and hi-low switch.

My personal favorite two light configuration: Surefire E2T MV Tactician and a Malkoff MD4 Hound Dog. The Tactician has very similar output with Obtronics 16650 batteries compared to primaries. And the MD4 with two of Obtronic's best 18650s gives fantastic solid long range and long term performance.

A note about the Intellibeam: I was very suspicious about the sensor when they first came out. But, after many years of use, I and others have never had a failure, and the actual light output at the low level is super practical at all normal distances.

Last edited:
I do have a few lights for sale here.

There's a Maglite with a Malkoff M91T and adapter for two 21700s. Ready to go, just needs a pair of button top protected cells.

I also have a Modlite that runs on one cell if that's a better format. Also comes with a Thyrm switchback clip, has a SureFire DF thread pattern to allow for other heads to be used. It'll come with one Modlite cell and I can throw in a charger (if needed) so it'll be ready to go.

Taking offers. 😁

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
What disadvantages do charging ports have for you?

Moisture ingress, I've had enough issues with just regular Android USB charging ports, a simpler format is preferable... and I know I'm going to eventually lose the dust cover for the port either through wear and tear OR pouch friction.

My 2 cents worth: I am over 70 years old, and have a flashlight aficionado for about 50 years. For about 20 years, I was active in helping lots of LEOs obtain, upgrade or maintain their lights. It has been very funny over the years to hear stories of my officers being asked to go over to another cop's call because of their flashlight.

I'm not an LEO (Remote/Static Security & Patrols) but appreciate a decent quality light with good output (apart from also being a collector), I have primarily kept to the 17670/18650 format due to interoperability, just looking for a bit more light output (than the Klarus XT11).

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted the below in a similar thread and I haven't changed my opinion.

There are many lights from many manufacturers to choose from so I have not tried every light available, but i have tried quite a few!

48923469917_c93b5decf5_c.jpg

For me 'Cop Lights' can be categorized in three groups Belt Light, Bag Light and back-up.

The stand out lights for me personally at this time are the following:

1. Malkoff M91T MD3, small enough to always be on a duty belt, 750 continuous lumens, 1 1/2 hour runtime on 2 x 18500 batteries. Always comes on in high with the head tight, but has a very useful low mode when the head is loosened slightly. If you a happy to carry the longer bodied MD4 (2x18650's) then expect closer to 2 hours runtime.

2. Streamlight Stinger HL DS, 800 lumens, 1 1/2 hour runtime on high, the go to duty light for many Officers. If your department fits Streamlight chargers in your cruisers then this is a no brainer of a choice. In my opinion it's too bulky for a 24/7 belt light but it should be seriously considered for the midnight shift.

3. Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X is a game changer for searches or non tactical use, with an output of 3500 lumens on high and a runtime of 1 1/4 hours but more useful is 1000 lumen mode that will run for 2 1/2 hours. Upgrade the batteries to 3600mAh 18650's and the run times will be even longer. The head size is the same as a Maglite D cell so the traffic wand should also fit the HL-5 for Traffic duty.

4. A back up light should be compact, bright and fueled with lithium primaries. An old Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61 drop-in and a pair of CR123's for me is ideal.

49582748021_6f1156d742_c.jpg

Above L-R Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X, Streamlight Stinger HL DS and Malkoff M91T MD3.

Whatever you choose, stay safe out there!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must confess the Streamlight ProTac HL5-X is extremely tempting... even with the abysmal currency exchange rates, local vendors are asking in excess of $300 :faint:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must confess the Streamlight ProTac HL5-X is extremely tempting... even with the abysmal currency exchange rates, local vendors are asking in excess of $300 :faint:
That'd be a situation where I'd be browsing eBay a few times a week. I think I got one for $60usd a while back. Didn't keep it because I only really like rechargeables that can cradle charge.