Recommendations for a Surefire Sidekick replacement...

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and Good Evening CPF!

It has been a while and my last purchase from Surefire were a handful of the Sidekick keychain/fob type light. I have them as gifts and only kept one for myself. It quit working approx 2 weeks ago and I am looking for a replacement.

I first tried to reach out to Surefire for a warranty replacement but unfortunately the Sidekick is limited one year.

I actually like the form factor of the Sidekick. The keys are either in my bag or in center console of car depending if I am on the train or in my car.

Through all my reading on this forum, I am avoiding the Nitecore TIP/TUP/TINI or whichever series they have thats like the sidekick. Too many issues.

I am trying to figure out all the differences in the Rovyvon Aurora series of lights. I know the latest ones can change cells.

Budget is $100 tops. I had a bag stolen from my car that had my photons int'l cr2 that was just refurbished by Muyshondt. That sucked. So something sub $50 would be great but if the flashlight is good and is Ti, may go up to $100.

I don't need a billion features, usually 2 or 3 modes is fine.

I have a new in box L3 illuminations 4 mode 1 x AA light as a if all else fails keychain light, but I like the sidekick form factor.

Thank you,
Jason

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a while and my last purchase from Surefire were a handful of the Sidekick keychain/fob type light. I have them as gifts and only kept one for myself. It quit working approx 2 weeks ago and I am looking for a replacement.

Surefire said:
SureFire warrants that if you—our customer—purchase one of our products, and we determine that it is defective in material and/or workmanship during your lifetime, we will repair or replace it—no hassle!
Contact Surefire.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a Sidekick that stopped working. It was over the 1 year period. Surefire replaced it. Best of luck.

I emailed them when the light failed 2 weeks ago. Basically said outside of the 1 year period, you are on your own. It must be a fairly recent change for the Sidekick because too many were failing and they discontinued it.

@aznsx will look into it!

LEDphile

Enlightened
If you don't mind a longer/skinnier form factor, you could do far worse than the Peak Eiger (or any of their other lights).

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand not wanting a Nitecore Tip after how many times they've messed up that model, but the Nitecore Tip 2 never had problems with parasitic drain on a lockout mode or an overly complicated U.I.. It has recessed side switches (on the narrower side) that prevent accidental activation and one button for on/off and the other for brightness settings. The only thing you have to get used to is having to hold down the power button a bit to turn on (prevents accidental activation in pocket). Most of these type lights are made of thin aluminum. The Tip 2 is carved from an aluminum block and is much tougher. It's also more waterproof than most of these type lights with a magnetic seal for the charge port. The magnet and clip also give you hands free options. The magnet basically makes a breakaway lanyard so you can quickly separate the light from your keys during use. The Tip 2 is $45 and much better built than a plastic Surefire Sidekick.

Latest posts