CONTEST> Diving light design

flavitie

Newly Enlightened
Hi , I'm new to this forum I read rules and policies but I am not sure if the content of the following post would be considered not appropriate...

Here is the matter>

I would like to propose a contest to all you guys for the design of a diving light.

Rules of the contest:
* Every member of the forum can participate with one or more design, the design should include all that is necessary to actually build the light (electronics design, mechanical design, part list, prices/cost estimation, etc) and a general description of the design illustrating design choiches, pros and cons.
* The specifications of the light to be designed are>
canister type with LED emitters, battery powered diving light, head compatible with goodman handle.
double beam, i.e. one focused beam (something in the 10 to 15 deg range) and one wide beam (in the 25 to 100 deg range) on the same head, it should be possible to activate the two beams one at a time or together.
High power: at least 3000 lumen on focused beam and at least 3000 lumen on the wide beam
Burn time, at least 100 min at full power
Safe and robust, should be able to do the job at reasonable depth (let's say at least 50 m) without leaking/exploding/killing any living thing around and possibly work for more than a couple of dives.
* Designs should be posted on the forum. The judges of the contest will be the members of the forum, each member could choose up to 3 of the proposed design and assign a rating (A,B,C) to each of the following criteria:
design completeness (info, instructions and details), Price/Performance ratio, safety and robustness

Why all this?
1) I am a diver with little budget and some (limited) experience in DIY. I would like to build a light with the listed specifications (that is my dream light, I know each member of this forum might have different ideas, but that's mine. furthermore it is a reasonably challenging design). I do not have the knowledge and experience needed for a proper design, plus I am lazy. So why not ask you guys to do the design for me? I will use your design to build my light, of course just for my personal use.

2) For the fun of it

3) For a prize. I was thinking of some reward, maybe a bottle of whisky or good wine or similar... any suggestion?

What do you think about it, will the forum members be interested?

Ciao, F.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why should we spend our time designing a light for you?
It would take countless hours to do and the reward being a bottle of Whisky that most of us could buy with a couple of hours wages.
Do some research, read the forums. Design your own light. Personally I have no use for a twin beam 6000 lumen light, or the bulk that would go with it.

Codiak

Enlightened
Have to agree with Packhorse... All the details you'd require have been posted within the last two years for multiple variants.

I dont mind mind the bulk as much as PH and my latest design meet or exceed your ask, but I'll submit the build on my own terms and in my own time. Just off the top cost for parts and materials your looking at around $350. Depends how creative YOU can be.

suggest you just better off buying a light, since the cost of tooling alone can't be justified by a single build.

MAD23

Newly Enlightened
Hi , I'm new to this forum I read rules and policies but I am not sure if the content of the following post would be considered not appropriate...

Here is the matter>

I would like to propose a contest to all you guys for the design of a diving light.

Rules of the contest:
* Every member of the forum can participate with one or more design, the design should include all that is necessary to actually build the light (electronics design, mechanical design, part list, prices/cost estimation, etc) and a general description of the design illustrating design choiches, pros and cons.
* The specifications of the light to be designed are>
canister type with LED emitters, battery powered diving light, head compatible with goodman handle.
double beam, i.e. one focused beam (something in the 10 to 15 deg range) and one wide beam (in the 25 to 100 deg range) on the same head, it should be possible to activate the two beams one at a time or together.
High power: at least 3000 lumen on focused beam and at least 3000 lumen on the wide beam
Burn time, at least 100 min at full power
Safe and robust, should be able to do the job at reasonable depth (let's say at least 50 m) without leaking/exploding/killing any living thing around and possibly work for more than a couple of dives.
* Designs should be posted on the forum. The judges of the contest will be the members of the forum, each member could choose up to 3 of the proposed design and assign a rating (A,B,C) to each of the following criteria:
design completeness (info, instructions and details), Price/Performance ratio, safety and robustness

Why all this?
1) I am a diver with little budget and some (limited) experience in DIY. I would like to build a light with the listed specifications (that is my dream light, I know each member of this forum might have different ideas, but that's mine. furthermore it is a reasonably challenging design). I do not have the knowledge and experience needed for a proper design, plus I am lazy. So why not ask you guys to do the design for me? I will use your design to build my light, of course just for my personal use.

2) For the fun of it

3) For a prize. I was thinking of some reward, maybe a bottle of whisky or good wine or similar... any suggestion?

What do you think about it, will the forum members be interested?

Ciao, F.

Enough said...

flavitie

Newly Enlightened
Ok, fair enough.
I tought that in a forum of 'flashaholics' such a challenge could be considered as good fun, I was wrong, my fault.
Thanks anyway for your replies and good dives to everybody.

ciao, F.