Convoy S2+ punching in the positive terminals of battery - should I worry?

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
You can see in the attached pic, the Murata cell I have now has an innie instead of an outie? This has happened in a couple of the Convoys I bought...

Is it this particular battery and how it is built? Or something else. Should I worry or just stick some foil in there to take up the gap that has been created?

Attachments

• IMG_2757.JPEG
    IMG_2757.JPEG
    729.2 KB · Views: 100

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see in the attached pic, the Murata cell I have now has an innie instead of an outie? This has happened in a couple of the Convoys I bought...

Is it this particular battery and how it is built? Or something else. Should I worry or just stick some foil in there to take up the gap that has been created?
I'm far from a cell expert, but just lookin' at that photo makes me cringe instinctively. I would probably retire it on general principle.

I take it that was born a 'button-top' (which is what I use exclusively)? (EDIT: ...aside from one Fenix light I have which was designed specifically for 'flat-top' cells, but it's a fairly old light. I believe they've since standardized on designing for button-top.)

Makes me wonder what length (EDIT: range) your light is designed / optimized for, but from looking at this, I think I'll steer clear on principle. I'm referring to the light manufacturer, not necessarily the cell. I know little specifically about MuRata, but from my exposure to their name and some of their stuff over some years in the electronics industry, I'd always assumed them to probably be a serious operator.

One thing I will add is that I think the addition of something like foil to compensate for the damage also makes me cringe.

Some others who hang out here probably know way more than I do about cells, so I'm curious what they have to say.

Edit: added strikethrough

Last edited:

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
I have to assume that given how popular Convoy is, that it isn't the flashlight design.

fulee9999

Enlightened

that... doesn't look safe. I have a few convoys and none of them did this, so probably switch to a different brand of battery.
by the way is murata a well known li-ion manufacturer...? if yes, are you sure that battery is legit and adheres to the 18650 standard size..?

and just as a rule of thumb when dealing with li-ion, if something looks sketchy, it's better to safely dispose of it, no li-ion is worth the inferno these little bundles of energy can cause

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that is definitely not OK, I have several convoys s2, s2+ none does anything like that. I used the same cells in mine, sony, removed from Makita battery, as well as protected cells. something is not kosher with your light, either the driver too low, or the tail spring is too long. without close examination hard to pinpoint the problem

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like an unprotected flat top cell. Is that so?

Did you or someone else do any modification to the engine of your flashlights?

Adding a piece of foil is not something I would do. Are you saying the battery is now not long enough to function in the flashlight that crushed this cell?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey @akatsuki:

This thread hasn't advanced much, so let me ask a couple of things.

First, I want to clarify that I didn't mean to impune the quality of your light specifically. I know zero about that brand, but it may well be a great light, and it wasn't my intent to suggest otherwise; only that popularity is not an indicator of quality - either good or bad. Plenty of crummy things are 'popular', and that is sometimes based largely on price (or 'group-think'). Sorry if my comments implied that I was knocking your light specifically. I don't even know enough about the light (or its cost) to do that, .

I assumed since you use the term 'outie', this implied that the cell was born with a protrusion (it was not flat), thus my assumption it was a standard 'button-top'. You should clarify that. I can't tell for sure by looking at it now, post-damage. If so, I would likely assume that if anything, that would add some additional strength to the end (along with overall length) of the cell, and that could also be a big factor if the light was designed with insufficient length tolerance; however whatever it started with, there may be an issue / factor in play which might make that strength less relevant. It would, however be relevant in that it would also make the cell longer, and overall length may in fact be part (or all of) the problem; thus my question of what length range the light is designed for &/or what type of cell the manufacturer recommends.

If the manufacturer provides proper ANSI FL1 specs for their product (which is an indicator of manufacturer quality), that standard requires that all spec measurements be made using the specific recommended &/or provided (if it came with one) cell, and that cell info is relevant here. That can be informative regarding this, and the info would be noted together with the provided FL1 specifications (by requirement). If you know the specific cell, you can find out its length. If not, either way, this begs the question of whether or not this is a type of cell that is provided with the light, which obviously should itself imply compatibility, so you should clarify whether or not the cell(s) are provided by &/or recommended by the light manufacturer. It's OK if they're not, but the answer matters in this case.

Some lights are designed to use shorter cells in general, such as the type designed for spot-welding bus bars on them for constructing battery packs, which is a fundamentally different application. The ends of those 'bare/flat top' cells may be more prone to such physical damage than those with the button disk added to a bare cell end. Again, however, if the light is specifically designed for such shorter cells, it may not be designed to accept much deviation from the 'nominal' length of the cell type (such as 50mm for an 18650). I would consider that a design limitation (although I'll stop short of calling it a 'defect') in the real world of flashlights, where cell lengths do commonly vary, and also many of us also want to use 'protected' cells, which also adds to that nominal length. It may just be a rather inflexible design. What is the cell length (or specific type) stated / recommended by its manufacturer? Is the one in the photo a 'protected' cell? I can't determine that by looking at it either, and does the manufacturer recommend that, or is that not stated either? Many manufacturers do recommend that. That info would provide another clue.

It was asked whether your light is stock or has been modified, but since you have the same issue with multiple lights from that manufacturer, that is not likely a factor. I would think it's unlikely that they are all 'modified'. If it is occurring with multiple lights, unless they are of the same model, that would also imply that if the issue could be a bad design, rather than a unit / sample-specific issue (just one defective light), which is a critical distinction. Are those several lights of the same model, or different models? If they are different models, but using the same cell type, that would perhaps lead one to look more at the cell than the light for root cause. Since it involves multiple lights, that leads to the obvious question of whether you've been using that particular type of cell in each case, or more than one type of cell, so you should clarify that as well.

Addressing those various questions I've posed will greatly assist others in helping you diagnose this problem to root cause. If anyone is to provide a valid opinion regarding root cause, they will require more information than is in your original post. I think the ball is in your court.

NiOOH

Enlightened
This happens when the positive terminal has a hard-mounted pin instead of a spring, and the light has been subjected to some shock. However, my S2+ has springs on both terminals. I've been using it for couple of years with no issue. Can you post pictures on yours?
About the cell, it is best to retire it. A small depression is not a problem, but in this case it is quite a lot, and this could block/damage the safety vent.