Cordless power tools

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do torque limiting extension bars work? Is there a clutch built into them? I'm old school/lazy and use a small drill motor with a light clutch to set my lugnuts, then do a patterned final tightening with my click-hand-torque wrench.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
they twist at preset torque, they only work on impact tools, not on regular drills.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm on the hunt for a smaller driver. Does anyone have any experiences with the Milwaukee M12 12V line?
Am looking at the Milwaukee M12 BD-202C. Not looking to get into an eco system, this one will be standalone.

Only need a 1/4" bit holder without impact function, as this one won't be used for any drilling or any wood screw above 45mm.
But I need a torque selector, and I am willing to pay the extra cost (in money and weight) for a metal housing, if that exists in this class.
I've been using that drill for about a dozen years. I bought it to build a 16' long handicap ramp for my dog and have used it dozens and dozens of times since.
You can set it to be a screwdriver or set it for various clutch settings. It easily drove 8" (200mm) wood screws into the handicap ramp.

Last weekend I used it to drill about 20 holes at 1" in a steel barrel to use for burning scraps. No problem.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Picked this spare battery for my 36V brushless air compressor.
Some guy tore it apart and said it has the Samsung 30T (21700) cells in it, 10 to be exact.
The capacity isn't 8Ah at 18V or 4Ah at 36V using the 30T cells,
I'm ok with the lower actual capacity of 3Ah at the full 36V output

The cheapest I could find 30T cells was $6 each,,,
so using the coupon it was a good deal at $59 for the battery pack.

** 30T are high Amp cells

1711477394836.jpeg

edit: clarify runtime capacity of packs

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I've been using that drill for about a dozen years. I bought it to build a 16' long handicap ramp for my dog and have used it dozens and dozens of times since.
You can set it to be a screwdriver or set it for various clutch settings. It easily drove 8" (200mm) wood screws into the handicap ramp.

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply here. Meant to do it, then it slipped my mind.

Honestly, if the Milwaukee M12 BD-202C can do all of those things, it sounds way too powerful for my needs.
I would primarily need it to slowly and securely handle laptop screws. 3mm and the like. Including screwing them back in, without over-torquing or stripping heads.

I recently got my Dewalt DCF601 back, with a note and official stamp from the service center:
"Not a warranty repair. No fault found. Repaired on manufacturer's goodwill."

But I did get a new unit back. Which did feel way different than the one I sent in. And I had 2 carpenters feel the drill and give me their opinions before I sent it in, and both - and me - said there was something wrong with it. I call BS on the "no fault found", but I'll take the replaced unit, though the whole return note felt rather derogatory.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sorry, I completely forgot to reply here. Meant to do it, then it slipped my mind.
Honestly, if the Milwaukee M12 BD-202C can do all of those things, it sounds way to powerful for my needs.

I would need it to slowly and securely handle laptop screws. 3mm and the like. Including screwing them back in, without over-torquing or stripping heads.

I recently got my Dewalt DCF601 back, with a note and official stamp from the service center:
"Not a warranty repair. No fault found. Repaired on manufacturer's goodwill."

But I did get a new unit back. Which did feel way different than the one I sent in. And I had 2 carpenters feel the drill and give me their opinions before I sent it in, and both - and me - said there was something wrong with it. I call BS on the "no fault found", but I'll take the replaced unit, though the whole return note felt rather derogatory.
The drill I spoke of would physically be way over sized for the task you cite. The clutch could possibly be set "soft" enough to not over tighten but agaiin just the size alone would make me not want to use it for that.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
The drill I spoke of would physically be way over sized for the task you cite.
The drill I speak of is the same one as you have, right? The M12 BD-202C? I know there are several models (all of which looks almost identical to me), and I am not familiar with Milwaukee's product naming in the different regions.

Size-wise the Dewalt DCF601 is perfect for me. It's just the build quality I'm not happy with, and on paper the BD-202C is the same weight but with supposedly superior build quality (all-metal gearbox, which is what I'm after).

But I am putting off any Milwaukee purchase for now, as I got a new DCF601 back in exchange for the one I sent in.

I've been looking at and trying smaller tools too, like the 10.8V and 3.6V options, but those are too uncomfortable to hold and use over longer periods of time.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I have the 2410-22 from about 2009 or so.

You can twist the front end to have clutch settings like a drag on a fishing reel or lock it to become a screw driver.
My apologies, I didn't mean to cause you hassle with the pictures and everything, but thank you very much. ❤️
This is of course the drill driver version, whereas I only need a driver, but I would assume the torque is identical in both versions.

I had to google the 325 in-lb to Nm (and found it to be the locally listed 30 Nm), and I also just found the explanation on why the images I found online didn't match when I searched for the model earlier.

I presume the "Milwaukee M12 2402-22" is the US designation

...and "Milwaukee M12 BD-202C" being the EU designation.

But why the colours are not the same, I have no idea. Unless it is only to differentiate between the EU and US models.

In any case, I cannot say whether 30 Nm is much too much for my needs, when the DCF601 specifically seems to have entirely different types of measurements depending on the region. With the US site only saying "200W" (whatever that is in terms of measurement of force without a load), and the EU site saying 8 Nm (which I, as a non-prefessional, call BS - it has to be more than just 8 Nm).

Watching this right now to hopefully get a final answer on the DCF601 actual torque:
EDIT: And the conclusion on the DCF601 torque is..."low battery" >-<

But after all this, I'm kinda set on the M12 BD-202C or 2402-22 or whatever. Seems definitely like a more "heavy-duty" version of the Dewalt DCF601, which is pretty much exactly what I want. The weight is about 300 grams more, but that's okay.

...Yes, I work with IT, but I can handle a single kilogram, thank you very much. Can even handle 50 of them, up a staircase, if I have to. ^^

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
M12 is a very good drill. I bought one for my father in law, and sent it overseas, when i visited him last summer he said he like it very much, thou even if he did not, he probably would not tell me, just to be polite, i probably would not, if we switched places, however our AC crew uses them on service calls, they are very happy with them, if they were not they would be carrying something else.

My makita 18v drill failed few days ago, I was using a 2 1/2 inch hole saw, and in 2nd gear it started to slip, felt like like gears were stripped, under light load it works ok, but under heavier load of a large hole saw, it starts slipping, however it does not slip in 1st gear. drilling holes in gear 2 does not cause it to slip, for now. I looked up parts store and entire gearbox is like 34 bucks, so not expensive to fix if i decide to.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Seems if a person just wants a few cordless tools, maybe bought one at a time, Milwaukee would be their best bet. I do like Ryobi for the price and HUGE selection that works off of the same in-house battery. But it's clear that some of their cordless tools are very underpowered.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2410-22 from about 2009 or so.

You can twist the front end to have clutch settings like a drag on a fishing reel or lock it to become a screw driver.
+

If you search 2 Pcs Milwaukee 48-11-2430 M12 Red Lithium CP 3.0 Battery Free Shipping NEW! on ebay,,
you can get two genuine Milwaukee CP3.0 batteries for $49 free ship

Those are 3Ah at 12V