CPF-NW 2012 Spring GTG (Greater Seattle Area)

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all goes well, I will bring the newly re-made, 30 inch Night Hawk with hopefully not too problematic reflector covering, (I need a better adhesive solution).

Hopefully I can get donated power, from the barn or generator like last couple years. I will need about 1,500 watts 120 vac current to power light, support equipment and cooling fans combined. I have enough RV battery power for about 10 minutes of operation if nothing else.

7247423402_9bef7a17b7.jpg

30 inch experimental reflector
Reflector showing reflection of surroundings.

Bulb holder and split reflector
7247423970_23078dcd0b.jpg

Jenbo 1,200 watt HMI and split reflector and homemade socket.

You can see the mounting hardware used to hold bulb on a shaped cutting board as the socket body. The 'back-reflector' is seen above bulb and supplied light back to the main reflector that otherwise would be wasted.

boomzilla

Newly Enlightened
party barn...looking forward to the get together...to me a chamber flag is sufficient to show a weapon light, & i'm quite interested...glenn

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this will do.?!,,

I fired up this thing last night, and will bring this and a couple 'regular' flashlights. This Nighthawk is a little easier to transport and handle than the Gorilla. Gorilla is a tough act to follow...but...

Here the 30 inch Nighthawk, is about to be tested on multiple fronts, such as does my homemade light socket work, focusing while in operation, etc...
7266416076_0ea0215d8d.jpg

Nighthawk ready for 'Ignition".

7266416384_68c64da0ab.jpg

Nighthawk Beam is fatter than expected

Nighthawk Beam is bright, but a little fatter than expected. The 10 mm arc may be too large for any reflector smaller than 30 inches, if it is to make a narrow beam. I still can adjust the focus, though mechanism not easy to work with when lamp is on.

7266416202_b1bf0eacf2.jpg

7266416312_fabe1e82e9.jpg

Nighthawk lights up the clouds a mile and a half up

Hopefully I'll have a chance to 'fine-tune' the Nighthawk before 'showtime'. I can't transport my generator right now, so I only have about 10 minutes of battery power to power the 1,400 watts total power needed for light, fans and related electronics. I'm hoping for electric power to be provided by some generous individual(s), such as during the past events...fingers crossed...lol...Chizel, IgNITEor? Por-favor.

C-Yah there!

Last edited:

chizel

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully I'll have a chance to 'fine-tune' the Nighthawk before 'showtime'. I can't transport my generator right now, so I only have about 10 minutes of battery power to power the 1,400 watts total power needed for light, fans and related electronics. I'm hoping for electric power to be provided by some generous individual(s), such as during the past events...fingers crossed...lol...Chizel, IgNITEor? Por-favor.

C-Yah there!

I'll be bringing my 2KW Yamaha and we'll get it lit up! It's a good opportunity for me to exercise the thing anyway!

Sam

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
I'll need directions to this fabled Barn O' Partying. If it's not along public transportation routes I might also be looking for a ride from downtown Seattle. Hope to make it! I'll be bringing... enthusiasm (and some less impressive lights that I do use quite often).

Last year's video has me excited:

Last edited:

boomzilla

Newly Enlightened
there will be some of us meeting up at RF&GC to caravan over after closing

yowzer

Enlightened
Found the address in a thread about an older meetup:

20245 SE 192nd St. Renton 98058

Not near any bus lines, IIRC.

Still haven't heard anything about when it starts.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Yeah... little weird to not have a formal post here saying when and where it is. I've begun to suspect that the event might simply be exclusive and not actually open to the public.

As a recently relocated east-coaster I find myself easily confused by the west-coast-casual attitude though, so I very well might be jumping to conclusions. :shrug:

dwminer

Enlightened
Yeah... little weird to not have a formal post here saying when and where it is. I've begun to suspect that the event might simply be exclusive and not actually open to the public.

As a recently relocated east-coaster I find myself easily confused by the west-coast-casual attitude though, so I very well might be jumping to conclusions. :shrug:
It's open to every one. With the forums off line so much lately, there has been a lot less posting. We always have a good time. I have to stop at Safeway and grab some chips and Coke for my part.
dave

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Address is indeed 192nd street?

Edit: (sounds like that's the place to be!)

With the forums off line so much lately, there has been a lot less posting.

Ah but of course - the sever migration. Eternal thanks to the powers-that-be who are clearly working so hard to maintain these lovely forums... I surely must show my 'support' formally soon. I've learned so much in my humble 24 posts.

It indeed isn't near public transport, so my chances of participating seem dim. If anyone near Capitol Hill could offer a ride... :naughty: PM me and get some gas money out of it! I'm a nonthreatening geeky 27 year old Eagle Scout willing to ride in the trunk.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone make it out? What's the report?

Sorry couldn't make it.

You are invited if you like lights! It was Awesome. If you were in the area you would have seen many little lights shining about and two powerful, (sometimes three), searchlights buzzed the sky over the get together, to guide late night travelers. I'll post some more photos, after I get some sleep...:cool:

7285943578_154c1f38c2_z.jpg

Nighthawk and Death Ray at CPF Get Together.

Nighthawk and Death Ray at CPF Get Together. I need to better focus the Nighthawk. 24 hours later you can see this thing shining in the sky from seven miles away!

7285944066_e1a39895b0.jpg

NightHawk, Death Ray and Baby Ray

NightHawk, Death Ray and Baby Ray light clouds up.
7285944606_696d30d68b.jpg

NightHawk and Death Ray light clouds up

7285944252_a735de545d.jpg

NightHawk, Death Ray and Baby Ray light clouds up lighting terrain below.

NightHawk 24 hours later...re-focused, now much better beam. Can be seen seven miles away!

7285942978_34b04531d9.jpg

30 inch Searchlight shines out over Hillsboro.

Searchlight as seen from seven miles away!
7285946490_dcb65da8da.jpg

Portland is what is lighting up the clouds in background.

I'll get some more photos posted, as I get them edited.
7319170276_3cf0df6542.jpg

Imitation 3-D view of the 30 inch Nighthawk

30 inch Nighthawk ready to paint the sky with artistic homemade lighting.

Last edited:

Photon

Newly Enlightened
[...]

Imitation 3-D view of the 30 inch Nighthawk

30 inch Nighthawk ready to paint the sky with artistic homemade lighting.

That is a pretty cool 3-D picture. We should have more 3-D pictures in CPF.

What do you mean "imitation 3-D view"? Your 3-D image works pretty darn good, assuming you know how to view 3-D cross-eyed photos.

Suggestion: include a human for size reference. Yes, it does say "30 inch Nighthawk", but something about seeing a flashlight half as big as a person is muy bueno.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a pretty cool 3-D picture. We should have more 3-D pictures in CPF.

What do you mean "imitation 3-D view"? Your 3-D image works pretty darn good, assuming you know how to view 3-D cross-eyed photos.

Suggestion: include a human for size reference. Yes, it does say "30 inch Nighthawk", but something about seeing a flashlight half as big as a person is muy bueno.

I know what you mean about the 3-D photos. I learned that 'crossed-eyed' trick during Geology map making class.:)

A human cutout ,(LOL), will add good scale.:devil:

oldkim

Newly Enlightened
So when's the next one? August... September?

I would gladly help... so put me on the planning team.

I think last year was September 22nd. It falls on a Saturday this year, so that could work. If we can get a date down, I may be able to bring an interesting prototype light :whistle:

Hoop

Enlightened
I'm in Spokane. I can come and bring my Lk14 build, Olight SR-90, and my 2nd homemade incan handheld spotlight build. (almost-finished-yet-to-be-posted)

Last edited: