CPF UK - AND NOW THE 2018 PARTY STARTS!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess a pre Christmas meet didn't work out. We'll sort something out in the new year. In the meantime I went shopping in the Olight sale and picked up....

IE3 AAA light 90 lumen
I3T EOS AAA light 190 lumen, tan colour
Baton Pro 2,000 lumen, tan colour
Another IE3
Another I3T EOS
S2A Baton 2xAA 550lumen
Bike mount

All for £101. Not bad I thought. I guess I know what I'm giving to people for gifts this year.

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bluddy L Jay

Had to have a look and now I have a Warrior X and some AA types (+odd freebies)

Thanks Jay

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Busy hunting...……………………………………………...bog rolls.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
All good here.

Three generations of Nyctos in the same house. Got enough bog roll for a bit. Can't remember the last time I saw any in shops! (along with pasta, rice, flour, bread, hand sanitizer, paracetamol etc etc).

Very quiet around here. We're all hiding from the Bogeyman!

Stay safe one and all.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^ Poor kid.

How's everyone doing? Guess we won't have a get together any time soon!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bored
Beyond
Belief

On the plus side, I started making rings as something to do...

Mostly wood, some metal or resin, opal and metal inlays, etc...

Tofty

Enlightened
Very nice work.
I take it you have a lathe.

Hope everyone is well.

I recently started going through all my torches to check their condition, remove all the batteries and charge those that required it (I haven't done this for far too long).
A few of the cheaper lights had suffered from some battery leakage. There was even some CR123 and Energizer Lithium AAA cell failures, which I didn't know was something that happened. Fortunately nothing expensive or irreplaceable has suffered, but I will now store all my non-active use lights completely empty, even the Li-ion ones, even if I haven't suffered a leak from them so far.

My Pila charger is still going strong, but my Cottonpickers variable current USB charger seems to have packed up in the years since it's last use. No charging light and no charging output, although it will read the battery voltage.

Can anyone recommend a Li-ion charger suitable for 10180 to 10440 sized cells?

Cheers.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tofty, perhaps the lights had a parasitic drain that flattened the lithium cells? Mind you, I've know a couple lithium cells to go in my time.

I bought a micro lathe (Proxxon) but the speed control broke after a few weeks and it went back. I'm making do with ring mandrells in a drill clamped to the bench. This works fine but means I can only do the outside of the rings. I have a small chuck but it mounts to a M16 1.0p thread and I can't fit M16 threaded rod into my 13mm drill chuck and I can't find a M16 thread adaptor.

Was thinking of buying a M16 1.0p bolt and finding a local engineering place that might turn the end down to 13mm for me for a few quid.

Last edited:

Tofty

Enlightened
It could be that, at least partially, but one of my CR123s went pop while not in a torch, so I no longer trust them.

I can turn down an M16 bolt for you if you'd like. The myford should be up to the task.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the offer Tofty but it appears that M16 1.0p is a very unusual size. I could find M16 1.5p but not 1.0p. Strange because I found 16mm nuts with a 1mm thread but no bolts! I wonder what they put them on ? I looked at buying a 16mm bar, 1mm tap and threading it myself but that would work out more expensive than just buying a micro lathe chuck that mounts to a 12mm thread.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toffty, I have a charger that came with my Lummi Wee. USB plug, heatsink covered board and wires out with croc clips holding small magnets. You can have if you like. Bung me your address.

Tofty

Enlightened
I could always just cut 1mm pitch threads into some bar stock for you. It should result in a better fit for the chuck.

Thanks for the offer of the charger but I don't think I will need it now. I had a go at repairing my Cottonpickers charger and amazingly was able to fix it with some re-soldering (dry joint on one of the components).
I also bought an Adafruit 100mA USB charger to try out.