CPFReviews.com: Orb Raw NS - Review - Additional Pictures & Info added...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orb Raw NS
Provided for review by Lummi
General Description:
Orb Raw NS is good looking two light level Nickel Silver Flashlight from Lummi. Powered by single rechargeable 1/2 AA size Li-ion battery (ICR14250 Li-Ion). Raw NS is small, pocketable, bright and high quality flashlight. The solid state illumination source of Raw NS is Cree 7090 XR-E Premium Q5 binned LED. Orb Raw NS uses simple twin level direct drive electronic circuitry. It offers very simple yet reliable operation. Switching between high and low output is achieved by twisting the bezel. There is a micro switch installed on the inner side of head. The micro switch is activated first for low and further twist activates the high mode. The maximum light output with fully recharged battery is around 160 Lumens at the LED. Orb Raw NS body is machined from beautiful metal alloy Nickel Silver. You can also order Orb RAW NS with pre installed with ice blue colored tritium locator vial as an option. Raw NS has O-Ring seals at various places for water resistance. Orb Raw NS is designed small pocketable Every Day Carry (EDC) light. The Raw NS package comes with accessories that include Nano battery charger, metal wire based lanyard / key chain assist and rare earth magnet spacers to assist connectivity during battery charging.

Light Features:
  • Cree 7090 XR-E Premium Q5 binned LED
  • Twin Output Levels
  • Solid Nickel Silver Construction
  • Reliable Operation
  • Tritium Locators that will glow for years and years, no charging required! (Optional Accessory)
  • Flat Tail Cap allows 'Candle Mode'
Pictures:
Packaging: Orb Raw NS comes beautifully packaged in deep ocean blue metallic bubble wrap.
IMG_1860_Orb-Raw-NS_Packaging.jpg

Inside you will find 3 things. First the Mineral Glass Crystal envelop locked with two rare earth magnet spacers. The Orb Raw NS flashlight packaged in translucent 'bolt' case and lastly the Nano Li-ion battery charger. Inside the Mineral Glass pocket is metal wire based key ring attachment.
IMG_1863_Orb-Raw-NS_Contents.jpg

Nano Charger: Nano charger is indeed one of the most compact and smallest Li-ion charger available in the market. This charger is basically designed for CR123 cells but you can charge other cell sizes as long as the charging current is safe with the battery being charged.

Size Comparison: Comparing size with standard AA cell on the left Raw NS is tad smaller than AA cell in height and a tad thicker in diameter. The Li-Ion Rechargeable 1/2 AA size battery that goes in to Raw NS is placed on right. Raw NS is twice the size of 1/2 AA size battery.
IMG_2073_Orb-Raw-NS_Size.jpg

Bezel: Reflector in Orb Raw NS is custom built Solid Aluminium with LOP finish. Cree XR-E LED is almost perfectly aligned and centered within reflector. The beam pattern with this reflector is mostly wide throw with smooth transition from hotspot to side spill, yet there is distinct difference between hotspot and side spill.
Body: Raw NS is built from Nickel Silver. Nickel Silver (NS) is primarily a metal alloy of copper(65%), nickel(18%) and Zinc(17%). Orb Raw NS is machined out of solid NS Alloy Stock. The Machining is excellent and without any major flaws. At the bezel end you will notice a black colored O-Ring sitting just inside the bezel. The mineral glass crystal is placed over the attractive LOP reflector. You cant see it, because it's clear glass crystal.
IMG_2060_Orb-Raw-NS_Bezel.jpg

The head has three machined cosmetic grooves giving an exquisite look to the Raw NS flashlight. The grooves also help in providing the firm grip. The body consist of two parts. Head, which houses mineral crystal Lens, reflector, Cree LED and tailcap accommodates the Li-ion 1/2 AA size Rechargeable Battery. On battery tube, the light name "Raw NS" is machined. Just above the machined name over the battery tube, there is a slot machined to carry Tritium Glow tubes. Iice blue tritium glow vial is an optional accessory that you can order extra. At the tail end, there are slots machined to allow installation of key chain attachment. Alphabets "NS" depicting light material are also machined on the tailcap.
IMG_2053_Orb-Raw-NS_Body.jpg

Orb Raw NS Components: Showing from left to right components of Orb Raw NS include battery tube, Rechargeable Li-Ion 1/2 AA size Battery sized battery and the Head. Threads on battery tube are machined perfectly. O-Ring is placed just behind the threads. O-Ring acts as a seal and prevents entry of dust and water. It also acts for twist motion damping ensuring a smooth twist acton. Ensure that you lubricate the threads with a good silicone based grease.
IMG_2077_Orb-Raw-NS_Components.jpg

Runtime:
Here is the runtime chart.
RT_Orb-Raw-NS.gif

The runtime of Orb Raw NS to 75% is 9 Minutes, to 50% is 17 Minutes and to 25% is 18 Minutes.
More...

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re: CPFReviews.com: Orb Raw NS - Preview

Nice review and nice light (I have the AL version), but I have a note:

The tritium locations are extras, your have to order together with the light.

And Europeans has to be aware that the nano-charger only has a American plug, Lummi does not include an European adapter, that has to be bought somewhere else (Not what I would expect from an European company).

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

14250 cell is not the same as CR2..

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Ultafire 3.0v RCR2 is labeled a 15270 and fits fine in a Surefire Titan.

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

The confusion may be that the Orb Raw is a CR2 light, the NS version is the smaller 14250.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review and nice light (I have the AL version), but I have a note:

The tritium locations are extras, your have to order together with the light.

And Europeans has to be aware that the nano-charger only has a American plug, Lummi does not include an European adapter, that has to be bought somewhere else (Not what I would expect from an European company).

Thanks HKJ, I have updated that.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ooo, I like the CR version. How much is that little sucker?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, great photos. :kewlpics:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

ViReN, why your beautiful pics too often tempt me to buy the lights you review? :p

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fantastic review!!I own an Orb Raw NS, with a tritium insert, and I LOVE it!! It IS one of my very favorite lights. In fact, mine has been on me since I got it. GREAT light. I love it so much, that I ordered on in titanium, and 2 Ti Wee's as well, ALL with tritium inserts.

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks TKC :thumbsup:

Update 1: Just added additional info to #1 . Run time & Beamshots in progress...

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alright, I won't be ignored.

H O W M U C H ?

:)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alright, I won't be ignored.

H O W M U C H ?

:)

Dear guiri,

I am sorry I missed your post earlier. Please forgive me. :)
(click the links for respective site)
I just checked Lummi Web Site the latest Price for Orb Raw NS is £55 without Tritium Vial. Add £6 for Optional single Ice Blue, White or GreenTritium Vial. For Four (4) Optional Ice Blue, White or Green Wee Locators £20

Check out Lummi Forum on CPF

Cheers :thumbsup:

wbp

Enlightened

The confusion may be that the Orb Raw is a CR2 light, the NS version is the smaller 14250.

I'm not sure the "Orb Raw" is still available. If you go to the main Lummi web site it doesn't show up at all:
http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Lummi_Home.html

It does show up on what looks like an older web site:
http://www.lummi.co.uk/index.php
http://www.lummi.co.uk/orbraw.php

All of the newer "Raw" models use the 14250 battery.

I have a Raw NS and absolutely love it. Tempted to get an AL, and sometimes even tempted to get a TI but so far have managed to resist going that crazy.

What's really fun is when someone pulls out what they think is a cool bright light. I pull out the Raw NS and turn it on at low. They go "nice light, but mine's brighter". Then you twist it to high and the jaws drop. I measured 165 actual lumens from mine...

William

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

William,

I was stunned yesterday after looking at the total output... it peaked at about 2200 (220x10) on my light box. Shortly after that I did a run time test....continuing the same battery and the first reading is.....
ORB-Raw-NS-Li-Ion-Output.jpg

2130!!!
(213x10) That's Well over the the specifications...
It would be an equivalent of about 200+ lumens!!! Yes, the output does drop but not that sharply. The total run time to 0% is about 27 minutes (27 images in all) ...
approximately 17 minutes till 50%
(yet to log the readings manually from the pictures to excel sheet so at this moment of time cannot say for sure on the run time at 50%
half of 213 i.e. 106.5 occured between 16th and the 17th image)

YET it's Glorious 17 minutes of Blinding light (above 100 lumens) from such a small light....amazing:twothumbs

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks viren, I'm thinking I'll have to get me one of those when I get a little more money :)

wbp

Enlightened
Viren,

Your meter is probably calibrated for Illuminant A, so the reading may be a tad high, but I agree, the little Lummi sure is bright.

William

Patriot

Flashaholic

ViReN, why your beautiful pics too often tempt me to buy the lights you review? :p

Ditto! ViReN's pics are extraordinary! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting them with your review.