CR123 smell?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date

David_Campen

Enlightened
Re: Smelly Lithium 123s

MSDS for 1,2 dimethoxyethane indicates it is a bit nasty:

"Harmful by inhalation, ingestion and through skin contact. Possible teratogen. May impair fertility." and recommendations are for "suitable ventilation".
Read an MSDS for food grade ethanol, it would say almost the same.

David_Campen

Enlightened

In fact here is text from an MSDS for ethyl alcohol. It is a bit nasty!
http://www.nafaa.org/ethanol.pdf

Material Safety Data Sheet
Ethyl Alcohol, 70%
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
Appearance: colorless clear liquid. Flash Point: 16.6 deg C. Flammable liquid and vapor. May cause central nervous
system depression. Causes severe eye irritation. Causes respiratory tract irritation. Causes moderate skin irritation.
This substance has caused adverse reproductive and fetal effects in humans. Warning! May cause liver, kidney and
heart damage.
Target Organs: Kidneys, heart, central nervous system, liver.
Potential Health Effects
Eye: Causes severe eye irritation. May cause painful sensitization to light. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal
damage.
Skin: Causes moderate skin irritation. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with
acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness,
drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to
respiratory failure.
Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea,
headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause narcotic effects in high
concentration. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Chronic: May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Animal
studies have reported the development of tumors. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage.
Section 4 - First Aid Measures
Eyes: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids.
Get medical aid. Gently lift eyelids and flush continuously with water.
Skin: Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and
shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Ingestion: Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give
anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Inhalation: Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If
breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. Do NOT use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened

David_Campen said:
Read an MSDS for food grade ethanol, it would say almost the same.

I agree with your point entirely.

I showed someone a data sheet for caffiene once, with the "caffiene" reference blanked out. They guessed it was referring to caustic soda.

That said, I wouldn't snort food-grade ethanol.:)

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened

David_Campen said:
In fact here is text from an MSDS for ethyl alcohol. It is a bit nasty!

Yes, point taken. I think a large percentage of the population who drink alcohol knows it has some side-effects. :)

However so many people are exposed to it, that we have a good feel for it's health impact.

What I'm trying to get to the bottom of here, is what exactly is coming out of these batteries and whether it is anything to be concerned about. If it is a substance that people are not generally exposed to, and the MSDS for it indicates there are health problems, then it is best to be cautious.

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened

I've got a response to the email I sent to a battery manufacturer.

The question I asked was:

Lithium CR123 cells produce some sort of vapour when in storage. This is evident from the smell that builds up if kept in an airtight container.
What is the vapour, and how important is it, when designing equipment that uses these batteries, to allow ventillation?

The response was

Thank you for contacting *** and also for your inquiry.

The No. CR123, Lithium / Manganese Dioxide battery, contains the compound DME (1,2-Dimethoxy Ethane), a colorless liquid that has an
ether-like odor. This compound, over time, can diffuse through the battery seal system. Although this odor can be noticeable, it should
not pose safety or health concerns.

So, in conclusion:

• "Flashahol" is 1,2-Dimethoxy Ethane
  • You can make up your own mind about how safe you think that is, by, for example:
    1. Reading a(n) MSDS on the substance
    2. Looking at David_Campens' Link http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/HESIS/glycols.htm

lebox97

Enlightened
Re: Smelly Lithium 123s *OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM MANUFACTURER*

:thinking:
I love the legal/CYA dance that people come up with ...

"it should not pose safety or health concerns"

there is also,
"practically non-toxic"
"sorta pregnant"

ayyayay :shrug: :)

changsn

Newly Enlightened

Guys, the amount of stuff you are breathing is practically nil. You're doing yourself more harm when you fill your gas tank - unless you are careful enough never to smell the gas. On the other hand, I wouldn't go around deliberately sniffing the stuff like some have indicated...
Sam

ongbs

Newly Enlightened

Hmm...I just have a funny thinking:

When this "gas" escape/evoporate, is they anything to do with the battery capacity or its performance over time? Like in our automobile battery (not maintenance-free battery) when water level too low it will spoil the battery.

Hope someone will enlighten me :)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Bumped to the top as a result of a similar closed thread...

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Funky Smell when I open up my CR123 Flashlights

I've been nevous even since I read those threads where some flashlights exploded because of gas that was discharged from the batteries.

I just happened to open up the battery compartment in my Inova X5, X0, and Brinkmann Maxfire, and if I stick my nose in and take a whiff, it stinks like a racid "gassy" smell. What is going on here?

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: Funky Smell when I open up my CR123 Flashlights

Bill97z said:
...threads where some flashlights exploded because of gas that was discharged from the batteries.

not by the gas, but from the two theories,
one being a manufacturing flaw that caused the cell to short itself during discharge or under higher-than-normal working temperature.
the other following the inability for non-rechargeable lithium primaries to tolerate incoming charge, so under a high drain, multicell state cells with different remaining charge states are used together, it may cause one cell to reverse charge the other.

the explosions useally occur within the cell body, not outside the body. If you look at the thread pics, each of the reacted cells have their guts ejected:barf:

natural release of hydrogen and or other gasses normal during the discharge of the cells I guess.

I know exactly what your talking about [Inova fan here] since I've had similar alarms after finding this sweet and sour odor coming from my lithium stash and lights.

Inovas use a special type of grease i cand figure out what, but upon inquiry they said it was white lithium grease...it doesnt smell like WLG to me:barf:

Im assuming its not as toxic as the lithium byproducts after short induced oxidation...since I've had plenty of contacts to the gases in a closed enviroment with no problems, but I wouldn't go around sniffing cells though:whistle:

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perfectly normal.. don't worry about it, but I also wouldn't go sniffing it for fun..

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

These batteries release aerosolized vitamins and antioxidants, which are recommended for optimal health. Take a deep sniff whenever possible.

alanagnostic

Enlightened

I kinda like the smell of lithiums when I open a flashlight or case they're in. Everytime I smell it I'm doing something that I love....playing with my lights.:grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic

powernoodle said:
These batteries release aerosolized vitamins and antioxidants, which are recommended for optimal health. Take a deep sniff whenever possible.

um....remind me to mail you the bill when I end up in the ER:ohgeez:
[only kidding ;)]
really? thats interesting, link on this apparent research?

erm, by the way...this topic has been discussed many times
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9212
(Moderator note: Thanks for the links Illum...I just merged them all into one thread!)

Last edited by a moderator:

wmirag

Enlightened

My entire flashlight cabinet has that nasty Lithium battery smell. I hope it's not harmful!

W.

pathalogical

Enlightened

powernoodle said:
Hmmm...I'll stick to Liquid Paper.

cutlerylover

Banned

Same here, every single CR123 light I ever had spoted that same rancid odor...I got nervous after readign about that guy who accidentally smelled a venting CR123 and the acid started eatign his lungs and throat and he had to go to ER cause he was having trouble breathing...but Im sure thats alot different sicne it was venting, and what we are smelling is more normal I guess? I don't know, but thats just another reason why for ther most part I try to keep away fromCR123's...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Goes to illuminate the wide differences that exist between humans (and some of us near-humans). I like the fragrance of most VOCs including the ether-like odor released from primary lithium cells. Naphtha, lacquer thinner, turpentine, gasoline, and linseed oil would all make pleasing eau de colognes.