CR123s and RCR123s (16340s): What Do We Like (and what about multiple RCR123s?)

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Hi All,

As I get ready to place my biennial CR123 order, and consider the number of lights I have that run on CR123s, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps it's not time to invest in some RCR123s?

First question is: What do we like in RCR123s, for flashlights, these days?

Secondly: ISTR, from hanging out here in the past, that multiple RCR123s is bad ju ju. Do I remember correctly? (I've a SureFire that takes 3 x CR123, for example.)

Question the Third: I presume my Intellicharger i2 will be fine for RCR123s?

Fourth, and final RCR123 question: On average: How many recharge cycles can I expect to get from a quality battery?

Lastly: CR123s: I've traditionally purchased Titanium brand, usually from Battery Junction. Are those still regarded as a good bang for the buck?

TIA,
Jim

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123s: I've traditionally purchased Titanium brand, usually from Battery Junction. Are those still regarded as a good bang for the buck?
I can't help with the rest, sorry Jim, but I'd like to add that I'm very curious about this question, too!

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Hi All,

As I get ready to place my biennial CR123 order, and consider the number of lights I have that run on CR123s, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps it's not time to invest in some RCR123s?

Secondly: ISTR, from hanging out here in the past, that multiple RCR123s is bad ju ju. Do I remember correctly? (I've a SureFire that takes 3 x CR123, for example.)

Fourth, and final RCR123 question: On average: How many recharge cycles can I expect to get from a quality battery?

Lastly: CR123s: I've traditionally purchased Titanium brand, usually from Battery Junction. Are those still regarded as a good bang for the buck?

TIA,
Jim

I personally use Olight branded RCR123 batteries and Eneloops for AAA.

The RCR123's should not be used in your three 123 surefire. They are 3.7 volts each not 3 volts and I believe you will not have a good ending.

Your charger will work, it is slow at 750 mAh so you will be waiting a while for charges, could upgrade to a faster charger, but it doesn't bother me personally.

You should get several hundred charges depending on various factors 300-500, others more experienced are on the way.

I think Titanium brand are good. I personally have 110 new SF123A batteries I just stuck with Surefire brand, they seem to be around the middle to the top of the pack.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi All,

TIA,
Jim

Can only answer for me!
Size, balance of run time and output in EDC lights
Too much voltage with rcr123 as these are 4.2v fully charged, with 3 cells you will have 12.6v could use 2x 17500 maybe in place of 3x cr123 cells.
Yes it will charge, you only need up to 0.5a as they are around 600mah on average............soon top off to 4.2v
Full charge cycle, which you could say from 2.8v to 4.2v would be around 300 before you loose a % of the mah, with topping off cells say from 3.6v, its a part cycle. So many part cycle/top offs over time.............should be good for years.
Cant comment on that last Q

:)