Cree Recessed Downlights (CR6 v. DRDL6)

RobDMB

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to replace a few downlights in my home with the Cree LED models that are cheap now. Assuming both will fit my cans, I am wondering if there is a difference in quality between the CR6 recessed downlight all-in-one model versus the DRDL6 Model. I read there were some changes to the CR6 Model along the way. Seems the CR6 model is rated at 50,000 and a 10 year warranty versus 35,000 and a 5 year warranty for the DRDL6 model. The CR6 also uses 9.5 watts versus 12.5 on the DRDL6. The DRDL6 seems to look a little nicer from the lens perspective.

Any input on which model to go with would be appreciated. Here are links to both models:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-Tru...sed-Down-Light-Bulb-H1CR6TW62527E04/204656359

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-TW-...n-Light-DRDL6-06227009-12DE26-1C100/205337184

made in china

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to replace a few downlights in my home with the Cree LED models that are cheap now. Assuming both will fit my cans, I am wondering if there is a difference in quality between the CR6 recessed downlight all-in-one model versus the DRDL6 Model. I read there were some changes to the CR6 Model along the way. Seems the CR6 model is rated at 50,000 and a 10 year warranty versus 35,000 and a 5 year warranty for the DRDL6 model. The CR6 also uses 9.5 watts versus 12.5 on the DRDL6. The DRDL6 seems to look a little nicer from the lens perspective.

Any input on which model to go with would be appreciated. Here are links to both models:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-Tru...sed-Down-Light-Bulb-H1CR6TW62527E04/204656359

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-TW-...n-Light-DRDL6-06227009-12DE26-1C100/205337184

I just bought 20 of the DRDL6 this weekend and installed them.

Technically, the efficiency specs are poor. But, the light quality is very good on these, I was able to retrofit a bunch of screw in LED bulb converted cans and some incan cans. In getting rid of the 80 CRI LED lights we saw a HUGE improvement in light quality. I wish I hadn't even purchased the 80 CRI LEDs over the years because the light quality sucks, frankly. But the DRDL6 at 90 CRI are great.

My biggest reason for getting them is twofold: We have had problems with flying insects and drafts getting thru our older style non-insulated cans (vaulted ceilings and ridge vents created a pathway for bees, yellow jackets and bottle flies to get in, and heat to get out thru the open backed cans), and secondly these older style cans are NOT like the typical 1990s and up style with the spring-leg mechanism that everyone uses. Ours are early 80's Lightolier cans that are in no way like newer cans, so most of the LED retrofits do NOT fit our cans. The way the DRDL6 mechanism is, with its 3 spring legs matches up to the Lightolier's 3 internal baffle points, making so that these LEDs can be used in our older style cans. The CR6 type would not work for ours because our sockets are not detachable, and the CR6 spring legs are too high up to fit the curve of our old cans.

I have no experience with the CR6 product.

I would buy one of each and see how you like it, from install to dimming and light quality.

I would disregard the warranty. You'd either feel compelled to upgrade your "obsolete" LED technology in the future or LED retrofits may become so cheap that the warranty is not worth tracking. BESIDES, I guarantee CREE will NOT be able to replace a dead CR6/DRDL6 with an exact match. If you did get a warranty replacement, it would likely have a different housing and put out different light temp/CRI, so it likely would not match your other older LEDs. The warranty being downgraded does not mean that the product is less reliable, it is probably just CREE getting more in line with what the market expects as LEDs become more common and need less incentive to get people to adopt. I won't go out on a limb and say these will last a long time, as they are cheaply made in China and like all complicated crap will eventually fail, some sooner, most later. 5 years is still a long time considering where the LED market will be at by then.

As far as the DRDL6 being less efficient, I'd say it really doesn't matter. The DRDL6 is putting 625 lumens of light out the front. Incan 65 watt BR40's are slightly less (actual out the front) and CFL BR40's are about the same efficiency (out the front) but have very poor light quality. So, if you already have CFL, get either model for the CRI improvement. If you have incan, get either model for the big efficiency jump.

The DRDL6 is about what, 50 lumens per watt, and some high CRI LED lighting gets into the 70 lumens per watt range. Even compred to 100 lumens per watt, unless you had 100 cans that are on for a long time, you'll never really "feel" the difference on your electric bill between a 50 lpw LED and a 70+ lpw LED. The DRDL6 is already 5x more efficient than the incan BR40, maybe even more as my DRDL6 seem slightly brighter than the 65 and 100 watt incans I replaced. I just removed 1300-2000 watts of incan cans for 250 watts of LED. Hopefully we'll notice that on our bill. And less flying insects, maybe a little less heat lost into the ceiling space.

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with the DRDL6, but I installed CR6s in our basement last spring. I'm quite happy with them, except that I paid nearly twice the current price just 9 months ago. They dim well on a Lutron dimmer designed for use with LEDs, which is important since our primary TV is in the basement.

From an efficiency point of view, if you use the DRDL6s for their full rated lifespan of 35,000 hours, each one will use 105 kilowatt-hours more than a CR6 run for the same amount of time.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
I just realized that I used DRDL6's to replace 100 watt and a few 120 watt BR40's, none were 65 watts. The DRDL6's are just as bright as the 100-120 watt BR40's.

And I use the $9 standard Leviton dimmers, no need for special "LED" dimmers, all CREE LED's that I have ever bought work great with even the most basic dimmers.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
You got a CREE to fit in a Lightolier? I tried one for the CR6s from Home Depot last year, and I couldn't get it to work. Did you just fit it into the baffle/reflector trim?

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
I just realized that I used DRDL6's to replace 100 watt and a few 120 watt BR40's, none were 65 watts. The DRDL6's are just as bright as the 100-120 watt BR40's.

hmmm...the CR6 I tried out from home depot (625 lumen) was noticeabley dimmer than the Br40s we had in our 6-inch Lightoliers and was closer to the brightness of the Phillips led BR30 (730 lumens) we have in our 5-inch Lightoliers.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
You got a CREE to fit in a Lightolier? I tried one for the CR6s from Home Depot last year, and I couldn't get it to work. Did you just fit it into the baffle/reflector trim?

Yes. If you look at the difference between the CR6 and DRDL6, you'll see the springs are lower/closer to the face of the light, which allows the springs to dig into the Lightolier body before the curve. You need to pop out the baffle trim if yours have it. Mine were a black baffle snapped into the white housing. If yours are like mine, you'll see 3 sets of bumps that the baffles snaps in to. Those 3 sets of bumps also line up with the DRDL6 springs and makes a nice tight fit. Also, be sure to quickly snap in the DRDL6 module, don't insert it slowly, the springs won't set right.

hmmm...the CR6 I tried out from home depot (625 lumen) was noticeabley dimmer than the Br40s we had in our 6-inch Lightoliers and was closer to the brightness of the Phillips led BR30 (730 lumens) we have in our 5-inch Lightoliers.

Your BR40's are likely brighter than mine, ours were 130V long-life, and our house runs at 120V. I had 3 1500 lumen CREE PAR38's in one location that I replaced with DRDL6's. The DRDL6 LEDs are not super bright, but that's fine by me because those 1500 lumen PAR38's were starting to bug me. I'm OK with 625 lumen lighting, even at 625 lumens we dim them a bit, never run at full brightness unless we have visitors.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
Your BR40's are likely brighter than mine, ours were 130V long-life, and our house runs at 120V.

I have some of those that the previous owner put in a downstairs bathroom. I'm just waiting until they burn out so that I can replace them with something brighter: the Sylvania and Phillips 70watt infrared halogens (70watt) are noticably brighter than the 130v 120 watts.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
Your Lightolier trim sounds slight sounds slightly different. Mine is completely smooth on the inside (no bumps), and the baffle grips the trim using tiny friction clips (which have a habit of falling out if you remove the baffle from the trim).

I gave up on using all-in-one designs my Lightoliers. First off, I have 6-inch (BR40) and 5-inch (BR30) cans, and most companies make retrofits that are 6-inch or 4-inch. On top of it, many of the 6-inch retrofits (like the CREE) have lumen output more like a BR30.

Lightolier does make a retrofit that is similar to the CREE (CorePro CP630k10), but it is 3000k and 1100 lumens. For some bizarre reason, they don't actually fit Lightolier fixtures (I ended up sticking it in one of the Juno cans in our basement).

Here's my thread on struggling with the CREEs and Corepros in a Lightolier fixture:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg0716044111053.html?20

My solution for the top floor: I'm wrapping foil tape around the gaps in the socket cup and using regular old LED BR40 bulbs (Ecosmart or Feit). I already taped and foamed the fixtures on the attic side, so they are closer to being airtight.

pavlov70

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I accidently installed shallow 6 inch cans in my office instead of the standard depth . I purchased the CR6 LED retrofit modules and of course they don't fit as they are about .5 - .75 inches too deep . For the time being I put in some Philips modules but I much prefer the higher CRI of the CREE's I have throughout the rest of the house.

I'd like to try the DRDL6 as it appears to be a bit smaller and worse comes to worse I can probably clip off the Edison base and wire-nut to the can. The picture on Cree's website shows the Edison base connected with red and black wires while the picture on Home Depot shows black and white. If the wires are red and black, is the red going to be the neutral? The local HD doesn't stock the DRDL6 and it's a bit of a drive to one that has them in stock. Before I waste a trip I want to make sure this will work.

Feedback appreciated.

thanks
rob

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Properly wired or not, once the wiring harness goes through a device you never know the true color without checking with test tools.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
My DRDL6 have red/black wire, and the screw-in adapter appears to be a power supply for the LED module.

With the DRDL6 you shouldn't need to modify them, they are pretty short already, especially compared to the CR6.

BTW, we tried the Philips LED retrofits and didn't like them. Give the DRDL6 a try, they are much better IMO

pavlov70

Newly Enlightened
My DRDL6 have red/black wire, and the screw-in adapter appears to be a power supply for the LED module.

With the DRDL6 you shouldn't need to modify them, they are pretty short already, especially compared to the CR6.

BTW, we tried the Philips LED retrofits and didn't like them. Give the DRDL6 a try, they are much better IMO

Thanks a bunch for the reply and the warning about the screw-in adapter. I'll go and pick some up this week and see if it fits.

pavlov70

Newly Enlightened
I got the Cree DRDL6's installed this evening. They fit just fine in the Halo shallow cans and look better on (and off) than the Philips. They're pretty much indistinguishable from the CR6's I have installed elsewhere.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
I got the Cree DRDL6's installed this evening. They fit just fine in the Halo shallow cans and look better on (and off) than the Philips. They're pretty much indistinguishable from the CR6's I have installed elsewhere.

Awesome! The Philips looked kinda cheap to me. What do you think of the light quality?

pavlov70

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! The Philips looked kinda cheap to me. What do you think of the light quality?

The Philips light quality was OK but not up to the Cree and as you mentioned the housing looked a bit cheap. The CR6 is the standard in my house along w/ the TW A19 bulbs and the DRDL6 lives up to those standards.