Current best LED lantern?

DigMe

Enlightened
I found this thread after a last minute walmart purchase of a Coleman Max 3D 190 lumen LED lantern. I do NOT recommend this lantern. Brightness was disappointing. I'm returning it. I may never be happy with anything else after my old 4x 6 volt battery Coleman with two flourescent tube bulbs broke. That was cray bright. Very heavy though of course. :)

brad

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm very happy with the Coleman CPX 6 LED Work Lantern

31d60byrrvlsl500aa300.jpg

Here in Australia it comes with the rechargeable (lead acid) battery pack and an empty pack for D cells, I have plenty of Nimh D's and I prefer the Nimh to the lead acid pack. The Lead Acid pack is only 2.2Ah and the Nimh D's I have are old but still test at just over 6Ah.
Norm

Last edited:

Minni

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a warm white LED lantern that matches the description of the Favourlight mini lantern and I'll have to see how it compares to my current favorite the Rayovac 3D which I use nightly to read by.

My only complaints with the Rayovac is the flashing locator beacon which I took care of by opening it up and wiggling the green LED until it broke off, but I would rather have a warm light to read by so I'll give this new light a try.

I've already tried the Brunton Polaris but found the glare too problematic to read by. I'm concerned that the Favourlight might have a similar issue but I'll give it a try. The Rayovac's diffuser has been hard to beat compared with any light I've tried personally or tested on a store shelf. The company that makes the lantern for Rayovac has a version they sell in Japan with warm white LED's but price is a little much to buy it an have it shipped.

Filibuster, how does your Rayovac compare to your Warm Cree? I'm tempted to get the Rayovac (it's been in my amazon cart for quite a while already.

I recently ordered the Warm Cree via amazon, and finding it somewhat brighter than the Energizer Weatheready, though the Energizer Weatheready may last much longer due to D cells.

Wondering whether it's safe to use Lithium batteries inside the Warm Cree?

NickBose

Enlightened
I'm very happy with the Coleman CPX 6 LED Work Lantern

31d60byrrvlsl500aa300.jpg

Here in Australia it comes with the rechargeable (lead acid) battery pack and an empty pack for D cells, I have plenty of Nimh D's and I prefer the Nimh to the lead acid pack. The Lead Acid pack is only 2.2Ah and the Nimh D's I have are old but still test at just over 6Ah.
Norm

How much did you pay for it?

Norm

Retired Administrator
How much did you pay for it?

Too much, they retail for about a $100 in Australia about 3 times the price on Amazon, it was on special for about $80, I only bought it to use up a store credit I had. But that doesn't make me any the less happy with it.
Norm

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked on Amazon and I didn't see much. I would need it to be powered by AA batteries (Eneloops), have good runtime, ideally at least a high mode and a low mode that has at least 24hr runtime. I like warm/neutral tints but the only models I saw were no name brands, I would want a decent brand (I know I won't find the top tier flashlight manufacturers in this market, but I at least want Dorcy, Coleman, Rayovac, etc.). I've pretty much accepted that I won't find a warm option. I'd also like water resistance. So preferences in order: AA powered, decent brand, good runtime, warm tint, water resistance (IPX8 would be great). Has anyone found anything decent that runs on AAs?

EDIT: Seems like Coleman has some decent offerings with good amazon reviews, I've listed my findings and links below. These seem to be "mini-lanterns", I don't think they have the output of larger ones, but they meet my criteria. These are not reviews from me, I don't own these lanterns, this is just my summary based on what I have read on websites. If I end up getting one I'll post my thoughts. Anyone have one of these or have any thoughts?

Micropacker: Lowest price. Not sure if it is regulated? Video.
4AA Exponent Pack Away, 4AA Pack Away: These say they are regulated. Video. According to owner on the video high runtime is 8 hrs (90 lumens), low runtime is 20 hrs (35lumens), also has strobe function. Beam didn't look very good.
High Tech Led Micro Lantern: So far this looks like the best. CPF thread. Adjustable output, says 85 lumen high for 6 hours and 5 lumen low for 200 hours (Walmart site says 75 hours on low), 6 outputs adjusted with a dial. Not sure if it is regulated? (I'd like to see the package for some specs).

Last edited:

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
The Coleman High Tech is a pretty decent one. It produces a soft, smooth output and lasts for a decent amount of time. Unfortunately, it is not very bright. The others have been reported to have significant issues of glare. There are other threads in this forum that discuss them in more detail. The glare and irregular beam pattern was enough to drive members to do mods to smooth the output, even at the loss of some brightness. The only other options for decent AA based lanterns are the Chinese made ones that are being rebadged under various names such Eureka Magic, UCO MightyLite, Camp Chef, etc. See this thread for instance: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...20E4AA-L-Lantern-(185-Lumens-Max-4xAA)-Clones

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coleman High Tech is a pretty decent one. It produces a soft, smooth output and lasts for a decent amount of time. Unfortunately, it is not very bright. The others have been reported to have significant issues of glare. There are other threads in this forum that discuss them in more detail. The glare and irregular beam pattern was enough to drive members to do mods to smooth the output, even at the loss of some brightness. The only other options for decent AA based lanterns are the Chinese made ones that are being rebadged under various names such Eureka Magic, UCO MightyLite, Camp Chef, etc. See this thread for instance: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...20E4AA-L-Lantern-(185-Lumens-Max-4xAA)-Clones
Thanks for the reply, looks like I am going to have to do some research the next few weeks. I was just looking at the Favour Light website. I like the warm model, which is selling on amazon right now. The only thing that concerned me was beam profile, which I'm not to picky about, and the drain of the green indicator light. The favor light website says that is two years. I'll be using eneloops and it will see regular use, so the indicator light shouldn't be a problem.

filibuster

Enlightened
Filibuster, how does your Rayovac compare to your Warm Cree? I'm tempted to get the Rayovac (it's been in my amazon cart for quite a while already.

I recently ordered the Warm Cree via amazon, and finding it somewhat brighter than the Energizer Weatheready, though the Energizer Weatheready may last much longer due to D cells.

Wondering whether it's safe to use Lithium batteries inside the Warm Cree?
I do like my warm cree lantern and use it nightly to read. The Rayovac SE3DLN lantern is still my choice for room lighting as it gives off more light but for reading the warm tint is hard to beat.

The Rayovac is actually on sale today for $18.99 so if you haven't got one this is the best time to do it.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Perhaps I've been spoiled by the brightness of my single XPG-R4 flashlight, but compared to the flashlight pointing up to the white ceiling, the Rayovac Sportsman led lantern is not impressive at all. To start with, there's a big shadow created by the top of the lantern. Then there's the blinding "ring of light" at the mounting level of the LEDs. The diffuser does nothing to diffuse this ring and it really hurts the eyes, unless I elevate the lantern to almost above head height. Short of haning the darn thing overhead, there doesn't seem to be a way to escape that blinding ring. Do I have a bad diffuser or something?

jtice

Flashaholic
The lantern may not be perfect, but its still the best LED lantern I have seen, so much so, that I had to order a second one once I saw the post here about them being on sale!
You are right, if you are at eye level with it, it can be blinding, I either hang mine up over my head, or place it lower.
Taking the top off and hanging it upside down works really well.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
I wonder how much more expensive it would be if the design was modified so that the 3 LEDS are tilted slightly up and inwards. Wouldn't that improve the light pattern some?

Megacam

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, I love these forums! We have power outages at least once a year and this is one reason I bought my mini-maglite LED (because of the sweet lantern it can become). The Rayovac SE3DLN just happens to be on sale on Amazon now for $18.99 so I think I'll pick one up! seems like it'd be great for all around work light, emergency light, and camp light. Can't wait to get it!

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...This brings up the question, what would I consider the perfect LED lantern? For the purposes of this thread I will say this: Alkaline cells of any size or number, SUPER runtime, and bright enough to navigate the house with....

...Really this all comes down to is what LED lantern gives the best combination of output VS runtime!

I would also argue "the only good lantern is the one you have with you."

I think I've finally found my compromise.

Diffused at 4 lumens

6523054055_1f1fbd25db_z.jpg

Focused at 4 lumens

6695361809_63af09f669_z.jpg

EDC-able (business card, half w/ aluminum foil tape, twisty-ties taped to back to set/hold bounce angle)

6695794507_862e41d4cd_z.jpg

Comparing it to my Black Diamond Apollo....

- I like the 180 directional light better than 360, since I can keep the bright lantern out of my line-of-sight without wasting any light
- Low at 4 lumens looks about the same as the BD on low - 48hrs Quark, 60hrs BD
- Medium at 19 lumens also looks about equal to the BD - 6hrs Quark, ?? BD
- High at 83 lumens is much brighter than the BD - 1.5hrs Quark, 15hrs, BD (unregulated?)
- Moonlight - 400+ hrs. Quark.
- Batts - 1 AA Quark, 4 AA BD

While moonlight is not much after being diffused, with night adjusted eyes, I find it is still enough for simple tasks like eating, navigating inside a house, going to the bathroom, brushing teeth, sitting around talking with other people, etc. 4 lumens looks like a good general purpose level, including reading, and medium more than enough for complex tasks.

The lumen comparisons feel about right as I can only see 180 degrees... the other half the BD's lumens are going the other way.

Anyways, hope that helps

CyberCT

Enlightened
I now have two Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 3D lanterns. The first one I bought a few years ago was actually pretty neutral in color, quite nice. The one I just bought is BLUE and I couldn't stand it. I ended up looking up guides on this site and decided to replace the LEDs with something more neutral and efficient. Plus I wanted the experience.

I just bought a few drivers and switches so they will have to arrive yet, but the neutral XPG-R5 LED is very nice! Installation is pretty simple on this lantern if anyone is willing to try it. You just need a $15 solder pen and an LED. With the stock driver it's very bright but heats up fast on high mode. Low mode the lantern just gets warm and still lights up the entire room. I bought a 3 mode switch so hopefully it shouldn't get too hot and I will have lower low also.

If you want to use Eneloops like me, just boy those 2AA to D cell adapters on ebay. They're cheap and I bought a bunch. Work great in the lantern.

GGallent

Newly Enlightened
Not to go too far off topic, but what about the TK41 and the Fenix Tk-Series White Diffuser Tip? Lumen modes from 800 down to 10 give plenty of flexibility.

Plus, strobe mode is like an instant dance party! :)

tritan

Newly Enlightened
I would also argue "the only good lantern is the one you have with you."

I think I've finally found my compromise.

Diffused at 4 lumens

6523054055_1f1fbd25db_z.jpg

Focused at 4 lumens

6695361809_63af09f669_z.jpg

EDC-able (business card, half w/ aluminum foil tape, twisty-ties taped to back to set/hold bounce angle)

6695794507_862e41d4cd_z.jpg

Comparing it to my Black Diamond Apollo....

- I like the 180 directional light better than 360, since I can keep the bright lantern out of my line-of-sight without wasting any light
- Low at 4 lumens looks about the same as the BD on low - 48hrs Quark, 60hrs BD
- Medium at 19 lumens also looks about equal to the BD - 6hrs Quark, ?? BD
- High at 83 lumens is much brighter than the BD - 1.5hrs Quark, 15hrs, BD (unregulated?)
- Moonlight - 400+ hrs. Quark.
- Batts - 1 AA Quark, 4 AA BD

While moonlight is not much after being diffused, with night adjusted eyes, I find it is still enough for simple tasks like eating, navigating inside a house, going to the bathroom, brushing teeth, sitting around talking with other people, etc. 4 lumens looks like a good general purpose level, including reading, and medium more than enough for complex tasks.

The lumen comparisons feel about right as I can only see 180 degrees... the other half the BD's lumens are going the other way.

Anyways, hope that helps

what model is that quark? is that from 4sevens?