Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

I carry a peak flashlight of my keyring. The only thing I like about it is the lug attachment.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

Manker Quinlan/Godmes T01 & Nitecore EA11 are both very small 900 lumen AA lights.
Neither one of those can reach 900 lumens, or even 500 on a single AA. They require a 14500 for that.

markr6

Flashaholic

I just ordered the orange 4 mode L11c with Nichia :) I blame this thread.

I like the High CRI, the no PWM, and that it is 1/3 as heavy as an SC5

The SC5 is so heavy and bulky compared to some others...I didn't know what to do with mine. I recently tossed it in my jeep, in the small tray near the cupholders. It may see some use. I would sell it, but the tint is so darn good and it's a nice light in general. Just not an EDC for me.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neither one of those can reach 900 lumens, or even 500 on a single AA. They require a 14500 for that.

true, but were getting caught up on the max lumens specs.. for any light using an AA battery, there is only so much power to be had.

the EA11 is rated for 160 lumens on a 6 minute turbo, but it runs much longer on its 90 lumen high. Zebra SC5fd is similar, 228 lumens after a 3 minute turbo, and the lumens drop to 50% in 45 minutes. My incoming L11C is rated 140 lumens, dropping to 50% in about 80 minutes

see the pattern? more bright, less time, and in all cases lumens drop over time.. none of these lights will hold the high for long

So, if you want an AA light, and max brightness and or "efficiency" is a priority, you will end up with a light that has low CRI

the only thing that makes a light more "efficient" is that it gives up CRI.. which is why the XML is so popular with people that prioritize brightness, but dont prioritize CRI..

no free lunch, its all tradeoffs.. there is no Best

but, the OP wanted this thread to be about "long runtimes over high output"… to me that just means lower brightness, like using Medium instead of high.. LOL!

my criteria are High CRI, no PWM or pulses, and low weight.. so best for me is the L11C. It also has to me, very practical mode levels.. a super low moon, a very modest low, a very practical medium, and a high that is not as high as some, but lasts longer than the ones that are brighter..

tops2

Enlightened

The SC5 is so heavy and bulky compared to some others...I didn't know what to do with mine. I recently tossed it in my jeep, in the small tray near the cupholders. It may see some use. I would sell it, but the tint is so darn good and it's a nice light in general. Just not an EDC for me.

Lol.. I agree too. Mine's no longer my EDC light, but I do use it after I get home. I love the tint also.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oztorchfreak said AA lights and nothing about cell chemistry. 14500 is an AA size(AA is a cell size not chemistry) and these are small AA lights. And, the Manker tested 480 lumens even on NIMH by selfbuilt. It also can use more chemistries, almost quadruples the throw of the SC5, and doesnt use PWM/Pulsed current like the SC5. I was simple suggesting other options to Oztorchfreak but, as I said, the OP was looking for KISS suggestions and none of these fall into that category imo.

I second Jon's vote for the L11C Nichia or L10 Nichia if you want even more simple. High CRI NW(92CRI/4500K), 140 lumen high for 1.5hours, 0.09 lumen moonlight for 147hours, and no PWM/Pulsed current.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

true, but were getting caught up on the max lumens specs.. for any light using an AA battery, there is only so much power to be had.
I wasn't making any kind of recommendation for the Zebralight, only that the reply about other lights running on a single AA with higher lumens was incorrect. I believe for the preferences of the OP the L10/L11C would be my choice.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

I second Jon's vote for the L11C Nichia or L10 Nichia if you want even more simple. High CRI NW(92CRI/4500K), 140 lumen high for 1.5hours, 0.09 lumen moonlight for 147hours, and no PWM/Pulsed current.

I have an L11C and some L10s. I never really liked twisty lights, but that one has grown on me. Very easy and smooth operation, and quite a bit shorter than the clicky version. But the clip alone makes the L11C worthwhile. The clip that you can put on the L10 is just horrible.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oztorchfreak said AA lights and nothing about cell chemistry. 14500 is an AA size(AA is a cell size not chemistry) and these are small AA lights.
"Where else can you get 500 lumens out of such a small package on one AA?"
That was highlighted in your quote. One AA would be a alkaline, Ni-MH, or Lithium battery, not a 14500. Although, I don't believe that the SC5 fits the OP's parameters, so it's really a moot point.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Where else can you get 500 lumens out of such a small package on one AA?"
That was highlighted in your quote. One AA would be a alkaline, Ni-MH, or Lithium battery, not a 14500. Although, I don't believe that the SC5 fits the OP's parameters, so it's really a moot point.

Your just nit picking now lol. AA is a battery size not chemistry specific. 14500 is an AA size cell. It is a rechargeable lithium AA(R6/15) size cell. I think you may just be mad the SC5 cant use 14500 because it puts it at a disadvantage. They are all small AA lights, some are just compatible with more cell formats then others. The SC5 is the least bright of the three I listed, is the heaviest, is the most expensive, has the least throw, and has PWM/pulsed current to boot. It is the smallest of the three though but, like you said this is all moot because none of these lights are exactly simple designs.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

Why?

"Best" is a term that I never understand why people on forums have to obsess with. Far too subjective and totally meaningless without context.

Personally I've found most AA lights a little underwhelming. Poor performance and poor runtime most of the time.

The "best" light I have that uses an AA sized battery (a 14500) is the BLF Kronos X5. It's not especially compact for an AA sized light, but significantly smaller than a comparable 18650 light. And it's output and throw are simply out of this world for such a compact light.

Superb tint with the NW XP-L HI emitter. And super usable 7 output programmable driver. With Moonlight and a good choice of low modes that you can actually get pretty good runtimes and lengthy EDC carry with it.

In terms of compact dimensions. I really like the the ThruNite T10 (think it was also called Sabre 1A). It tail stands, is very short an narrow. Has 4 good output modes including an ultra low moonlight mode. And the beam profile with an XP-G2 is very very good, as is the output considering it runs on a 1.2v Eneloop.

But sadly the threads are super noisy, the head is lose fitting with lots of slop and the tint is completely ice white.

I don't have a pic on it's own. But it's the 3rd one in from the left. Note it's shorter than some AAA lights.

What I think would be a nice AA light, is if Maglite made an AA Solitaire with two or three output modes. The head tight for off is so much better than head lose for off design.
What is the one on the left anf the copper one on the right with the flared bezels? They look nice.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Any love for Xeno? I don't know if they still make a 219b version but they are cheap and simple. I've had a trouble free xml version for years.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your just nit picking now lol. AA is a battery size not chemistry specific. 14500 is an AA size cell. It is a rechargeable lithium AA(R6/15) size cell. I think you may just be mad the SC5 cant use 14500 because it puts it at a disadvantage. They are all small AA lights, some are just compatible with more cell formats then others. The SC5 is the least bright of the three I listed, is the heaviest, is the most expensive, has the least throw, and has PWM/pulsed current to boot. It is the smallest of the three though but, like you said this is all moot because none of these lights are exactly simple designs.

Then again, if you get the Nitecore or Manker, I hope you're okay with Cool White. It's 2016. And most of us here aren't - especially if high CRI is what the original poster wants. And that's were the SC5 comes ahead. It is available with a few different emitters, including high CRI options. To me (and probably MANY others here), this is FAR more important than a few hundred more lumens that are barely useful due to heat buildup in a small light and the short battery life of a low capacity 14500. When the continuous lumen output of the SC5 is considered along with the availability of high CRI and neutral options, the SC5 comes out FAR ahead. The only downside with the SC5 is the lack of 14500 compatibility. This is a REAL liability when it comes to backcountry use. But there's always the SC52 in this situation.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only downside with the SC5 is the lack of 14500 compatibility.

there are other reasons
the SC5 weighs as much as THREE L10.
the SC5 uses Pulses, not constant current like the L10/11c.
The SC5 is bigger and bulkier (as the weight also reveals) than the L10/11c, and
the SC5 is not available in 92 CRI, like the L10/11c

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm enjoying and learning of new leads from the responses. Thank you all.

I'm still with the L10 currently.
Imagine it hanging in sunlight for a few years, UV coming down, no rubber boot to degrade, only one water shedding overhang to the head, only one protected O ring to consider, up under the overhang. ..
I would love to see an L10 style light built to Malkoff or HDS standards... with Efficient long running moonlight and practical low like the L10.

Speaking of which, what is the weight of a 1AA Malkoff MDC light?
I'm wondering if, for the cost and weight, if I'd be better off getting one Malkoff, or getting 2 or 3 of the lesser L10?
I'd love to see a Malkoff neutral or a high CRI AA MDC btw.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm happy with my 1xAA Quark Pro. Nice build quality, good runtimes, and useful brightness levels.

Love the 200+ hours of moon mode. :twothumbs

Yeah, 200 hours is really good, that's an Appalachian Trail or so there.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then again, if you get the Nitecore or Manker, I hope you're okay with Cool White. It's 2016. And most of us here aren't - especially if high CRI is what the original poster wants. And that's were the SC5 comes ahead. It is available with a few different emitters, including high CRI options. To me (and probably MANY others here), this is FAR more important than a few hundred more lumens that are barely useful due to heat buildup in a small light and the short battery life of a low capacity 14500. When the continuous lumen output of the SC5 is considered along with the availability of high CRI and neutral options, the SC5 comes out FAR ahead. The only downside with the SC5 is the lack of 14500 compatibility. This is a REAL liability when it comes to backcountry use. But there's always the SC52 in this situation.
NW versions may be released one day. And, that is nothing a quick emitter swap won't fix. It is very easy to do on the Manker. The biggest downsides of the SC5 are it's excessive size and weight and it's PWM/pulsed current. I personally think it is ZL worst modern light for the PWM/pulsed current alone and would never buy one for that reason.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love to see an L10 style light built to Malkoff or HDS standards... with Efficient long running moonlight and practical low like the L10.

Speaking of which, what is the weight of a 1AA Malkoff MDC light?

I'm into "single AA," low lumens, runtime, and efficiency, and have a decent collection of lights.

15151119895_fe011df59c_b.jpg

I too love efficient moonlights & practical low ~3 lms, probably where I spend 95% of my runtime. I also have a light box and DMM with good ammeter function for testing moonlight efficiency. The MDC is 2.6 oz empty, vs the L10 at 0.8 oz.

These two also consume about the same current (5.6-5.9 ma) indicating over 300 hrs runtime on a regular Eneloop, yet they are on the opposite ends of my sub-lumen efficiency range - the MDC's output being 0.35 lms while the L10 is 0.05 lms, a 7x output difference. Both lights sub-lumen modes, however, are highly volatile depending upon sample, voltage, and in certain cases temperature.

Quarks (Pro and Click models) are my personal favorite - extremely consistent efficiency and outputs no matter sample, voltage, temp, etc. and I like tuning performance by battery chemistry, not to mention Lego'ing different battery tubes to suit purposes.

19017813140_92be2cde34_z.jpg

The D25A Ti with N219 is also one of my favorites, but shares sub-lumen volatility with the others.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

reppans,
I wonder if the cool led Malkoff is using is just that much more efficient at producing light at such low draw, in addition to luck of draw variation within emitter batches?
I also wonder if the cool Malkoff will light up and stay lit with batteries that the Nichia L10 considers dead?

Along with valuing the quality of light of the higher CRI emitters, I put high value to little lights that continue to give light when the others won't. -Ideally these should be very small and low mass, something that's never minded never left behind to save space, that can be treated as a reserve battery case until it's the only thing left that still works.

Ideally that's what a "Malkoff/HDS quality" L10 would be, Neutral to HCRI leds selected for low forward voltage, potted, quality glass, springs and thicker metal contacts. .. bring the weight up to .9 oz. ;-)

Last edited:

Wilburforce

Newly Enlightened

Perhaps a 3 or 4 mode Peak Capitan then?

I was also aimlessly hoping on the Malkoff Junkie thread for a similar such Malkoff L10 type light only calling it a Malkoff Eiger/Capitan/Maratac lovechild.

I do also wish the L10 came in 3 mode of firefly, medium and high