Current CR2 option

Southernlight

Enlightened
I know what you mean about CR2 vs CR123 size vs power but there is just something cute and neat about the CR2.
They pocket well but are good in the hand too. I like AAA and CR123 lights but the CR2 are just all I need most of the time.
Thanks for the replys, so in no particular order a partial current list of new offerings include -

Muyshondt Aeon II
Nitecore Sens Mini
4sevens Mini MLR2
- coming is 4Sevens Atom in CR2
JiL Lite Constel
JiL Lite JCR2
JiL Lite J2
Fireworm F01
PhotonFanatic Tasklight Two
Amilite Cuty CR2

I won't include cheap clones and the like.
Just recognized quality lights.

Any others?

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arcmania Extreme Micro CR2? There's one (single stage with Seoul emitter) available on the MarketPlace, and standard version is still available at one of CPF's dealers/vendors.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not good with photographs and uploading and stuff, but start with this picture:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DImnJgXYm...z9qrg4aZA/s1600/4Sevens+Quark+MiNi+Series.jpg

Now look at the Mini AA, and cut about 25mm-30mm out of the knurled part of the barrel. It's slightly shorter than the CR2, and considerably smaller in diameter as well.

Just a quick edit on Paint. Is this what you're talking about?

bHMcf9i.png

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick edit on Paint. Is this what you're talking about?

Wow! Good work on the photoshopping!

Yes, that's almost exactly it, only now that I see your picture I think that my 14250 is not as short as that, i.e. I think it still has a longer knurled section in the center. Not much, just 2mm-3mm or so. I'll see if I can measure it later.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay--rough measurements, not micrometer, the length is 56mm, after I took out a middle chunk of about 22mm (and did some smoothing of edges left rough by the tubing-cutter).

That's a few mm *longer* than the Mini CR2 which is listed as 2 inches i.e. 51mm.

But I think you could probably take out a few more millimeters from the middle section and be okay. I opted for a slightly longer body because I wanted to have the option of sliding the parts back on the titanium tube again to hold a regular AA. That worked, but was rather fidgety, and I wouldn't do it on my next build.

Oh, and for primaries? They are easy to get. Energizer 9volt Lithiums have three 14250 primaries in them, and I assume the other 9v lithium brands do as well. So you can pick them up for as little as $2 per cell, maybe $2.50 for the Energizers. And that way your high is not running the insanely high direct-drive that 3.7v rechargeables do--smarter and safer in a light this small.

[ETA: 56 + 22 = 78mm. Strange, the Foursevens specs for the unchopped Mini AA are three inches i.e. 76mm. I think the difference is a) my sloppy measuring and b) the tubing-cutters tendency to extrude the length of what it cuts. Anyhow--you should be able to cut out 25mm and be okay. Not that I advise anyone to do any of this!)

Last edited:

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
I hacked apart a Sipik SK68 so it could take a cr2. It also required a bit of boring but it wasn't difficult.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I should say how my story ended (even though it's a bit tangential to the CR2 issue).

I made a great little 14250-driven Mini. About the same length as a CR2, and a fair bit narrower. Certainly takes up less room in the pocket than the CR2 Mini (though the CR2 Atom will have it beat, because of the lack of reflector).

But what I really decided is that the extra 23mm or so length in the Mini AA was totally worth having.

The fact that a Mini AA can take regular AAs, or 14500s, or L91s, or AAAs, L92s, or 10440s, is a huge, huge plus. When I came at it from the angle of *starting* with a very small 14250 Mini, and then thinking about the additional functionality that 23mm gave me, it seemed like a huge increase in utility for not much more space in my pocket.

The Mini AA has been riding in my pocket ever since, with a 14505 primary ready to go. I use other lights as my duty light--a Quark AA running 14500, or more recently a ZL SC52 running 14500. But that MiniAA is always there.

So that's kind of what I decided about having a tiny Mini--I liked it, but not as much as I liked the flexibility of using common batteries if need arise.

fl0t

Enlightened
I can relate to your decision making around the battery.
When I started with flashlights I thought a lot about the battery type I wanted, since I didn't want to have 7 different types of batteries. Sometimes hard to find, RCRs or 'weird' sizes. So I decided to have CR123 as the main power source.

I only have one AA light; I have it because I like the design (Xeno Cube).

I almost never carry any of my CR2 lights, even though I just bought 50 CR2 primaries.

I like CR2 lights because most of them are rare limited runs.

Southernlight

Enlightened
a CR2 has just half the capacity of a CR123A, but is only 1mm thinner and about 7mm shorter.

I am curious as to the energy output as a ratio of all the main primary cells.
ie: how does a AA compare to a CR123, CR2 and AAA ?

Since starting this list of current CR2 lights I have since ordered two off the list. :)

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean about CR2 vs CR123 size vs power but there is just something cute and neat about the CR2.
They pocket well but are good in the hand too. I like AAA and CR123 lights but the CR2 are just all I need most of the time.
Thanks for the replys, so in no particular order a partial current list of new offerings include -

Muyshondt Aeon II
Nitecore Sens Mini
4sevens Mini MLR2
- coming is 4Sevens Atom in CR2
JiL Lite Constel
JiL Lite JCR2
JiL Lite J2
Fireworm F01
PhotonFanatic Tasklight Two
Amilite Cuty CR2

I won't include cheap clones and the like.
Just recognized quality lights.

Any others?

Your list should include the Nitecore EZ CR2 and the Liteflux LF4, two oldy but plenty good... The Liteflux was known as the Poor-Man HDS...

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
I have been looking for something small. The side clicky Olight S10 can get turned on in my pocket, even with the lockout. So I think, for me, the twisty UI is the way to go. I picked up an Arcmania Extreme Micro CR2 from Lighthound. This light is JUNK. $60. The UI is "maybe", as in maybe it will work this time. Crappy little emitter, no attachment point for carrying. Just don't. (BTW, no issues with Lighthound.) I tried the Nitecore Mini Sens. Neat idea, but... Anyway, the 4Sevens MLR2 is a dream! Weighs 26 grams, loaded. UI is fine and works 100% of the time. So I decided to try out the CR123 model, the Mini ML-X. Bingo! Its only a little bigger than the CR2 model. It's 34 grams, with battery, and has an XM-L2 emitter, vs XP-G2 in the MLR2. I gave the MLR2 to my wife. She loves it. (Thank the Lord for tolerant mates.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have been looking for something small. The side clicky Olight S10 can get turned on in my pocket, even with the lockout. So I think, for me, the twisty UI is the way to go. I picked up an Arcmania Extreme Micro CR2 from Lighthound. This light is JUNK. $60. The UI is "maybe", as in maybe it will work this time. Crappy little emitter, no attachment point for carrying. Just don't.

Did you research ArcMania before buying the light? Turns out the guy was selling us cheap and common lights from that nation that weren't designed for export, and he was calling them custom or semi-custom creations and obscenely jacking up the prices. Yeah, Lighthound is fantastic. But has no presence on these boards, unlike 4Sevens, Battery Junction, etc.

No surprise that the Hound still has them listed for sale.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
First of all, sorry for dredging up old acrimony.
Yes, I read about the guy, and I was curious. Now, my curiosity has been satisfied. By the way, Lighthound offered to RMA the light for a full refund.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
First of all, sorry for dredging up old acrimony.
Yes, I read about the guy, and I was curious. Now, my curiosity has been satisfied. By the way, Lighthound offered to RMA the light for a full refund.

The Hound is always willing to help customers. Good to hear they keep their excellent reputation sharp as a razor.