Cyclops Flashlight Explosion

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
Yes, good Idea! If your flashlight dims then it would be good practice to remove the cell/cells and test on a battery checker. Anything in the 20% mark or below should be disposed of or recharged (if RCR123). Don't be in the belief of "should be able to get another Xminutes out of them". If you think this; and put them back into your flashlight, you will be asking for trouble!!

What would happen if you forgot how much charge was in your cell/cells?
"Hmm... Torch is getting warm! A lot warmer than usual...Oh Crap!! thats right!! Now I remember"- At this stage you better start to throw your torch AKA stick of gelignite very far from you or property. :mad:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Holy crap that seems dangerous though.

As the power level of flashlights goes up, it appears the danger level does too.

Too true. A little tank of hydrogen or methanol next to "the boys" doesn't sound real comforting. I can assure you though it's going to be coming to cell phones. Nokia and other manufacturers were having a gripe awhile back about how battery technology is not keeping up with all the newer features becoming available.

cy

Flashaholic
room200, welcome to cpf... have you posted pic's yet? pretty bad news for your first posts?

I agree with battery station's comments.

problem with products out of china is wide range of quality with little to no recognition of design/property rights.

one has no idea if a mfg is leaving off PTC to save on costs or simply don't know a PTC device is required.

if what you claimed actually happened, Sam's Club has a ton of clout and will take quick action. once they find out.

damon

Newly Enlightened
now even laptop started to Explode
delllaptopexplodesatjapaneseco.jpg

http://www.i4u.com/article5924.html

firefly99

Enlightened
batterystation said:
To my knowledge there is only one or two remaining CR123A factories in the USA and I believe they are Duracell and Energizer. They both still say Made in USA on them.
Please note I had a batch of Duracell that say "Made in China"

*Retired*
InfidelCastro said:
I hear this often, but that always makes me wonder why my Energizer brand cells generally totally suck, while my Surefire batteries always kickass..

I hear comments from folks like this. Dunno, I've even gotten a near match for runtimes too, as much of a match as one gets from multiple tests from different cells you pull out of a SureFire battery box.

For example, here is a Duracell:
dura2.jpg

Here, take a look there is alot more:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1464955&posted=1

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proctor and Gamble has facilities all over the world. The Duracell batteries that are made in China are the ones that are often packaged with flashlights that are manufactured in China. I've also seen some that had indicia of "For OEM use only", I guess they are bulk batteries and the text is to minimize the potential that they will be introduced into the retail market; a somewhat futile effort as there are always people looking to buy grey market products.

NewBie said:
Were those from the factory, or were they copies from china, remember this happens with batteries alot.

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
Lit Up said:
Too true. A little tank of hydrogen or methanol next to "the boys" doesn't sound real comforting. I can assure you though it's going to be coming to cell phones. Nokia and other manufacturers were having a gripe awhile back about how battery technology is not keeping up with all the newer features becoming available.

I am pretty sure that one of the drivers of the metal hydride approach for carrying hydrogen for fuel cells was finding a safer form to store the hydrogen. If given the chance right now I would not hesitate to try one out for a while.

*Retired*
room200 said:
I've never been to this forum until today, but I had a very scary thing happen; my flashlight or batteries exploded. I had never heard of this happening before, so as you can imagine, I was scared to death. I put the flashlight down after using it about 10 minutes (the battery started to go dim while I was using it and getting hot). I waited for the thing to cool off while I ate a sandwhich. All of a sudden BANG! The sound was like a firecracker or gunshot. At first, I didn't know where it came from. I actually started looking at my windows to see if there was a gunshot that came through the window. I then noticed a very pungent odor, and this is how I realized what had happened. I reluctantly opened the flashlight to find black residue inside the battery case and all over the batteries. One of the batteries seems to be fused inside the case, and it won't come out. The name of the battery is Cyclops. The brand of flashlight is Cyclops, and the battery is a CR123A. It says made in China. I normally have the flashlight in my pocket, and I can only imagine what could have happened if I'd followed my normal routine. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

How you doing? What did the doctor say?

mechanic in the nite

Newly Enlightened
Hello Room

I am surprised really it seems you and I are the only ones who ever bought these lights from Sam's Club...Either people know something we don't or we found a deal they haven't. These lights that Sam's sells for 2 for $20 are 1 for $80 on cyclopssolutions.com

Anyways I have bought two packs of these lights a total of 4 lights about three months ago. Mine did not have the batteries installed the were in the packaging. I tested them all before installing them 3.7 on the money. I ran down about all of them to nothing, but I removed them immediately afterward. I have since fed them titanium brand cells. Drained about a dozen of those still no problems yet. I'm glad you posted this because now I'm concerned about leaving my light in my car and will be taking it out now.

Also after ten minutes of on time the head of this light will natuarlly get very hot. They seem to be pretty well made lights to me. It does have a tight spring/clickie though.

Hope all is well room.

*Retired*
HarryN said:
Just bumping Newbie's concern about your health. PLEASE go to a trauma unit / burn ward and tell them that you have had HF exposure. Not tomorrow, today.

HarryN,

I'd invite you to come over and catch up on what we know so far, and the testing that has been done, around post 647 (and earlier if you have not seen it):
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1492092#post1492092

Food for thought- It doesn't even take a flashlight for a fireball(sorry, missed the fireball and burning battery parts):
bstest12.jpg

whiteman

Newly Enlightened
I just had my "cyclops" flashlight explode while I was working at my desk. It suddenly dimmed down and I thought that the battery was going dim so I shut it off and put it down. About 3 to 4 minutes later there was a loud explosion like a gunshot and something went past my head and hit the wall hard enough to dent the wall. It was the lens and o ring from the light. I turned and looked at the light and it had blown the rubber switch out of the back of the light. There was smoke coming from the light and I could not touch the light for at least 10 minutes as the casing of the light was red hot. I took a handkerchief and picked it up and moved it off the desk to keep from burning the desk.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing you used a handkerchief. Ventilate the area as well as possible to get rid of any fumes and wear gloves when handling the light, even if it's cold. Where are my manners? :welcome:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with the Cyclops flashlight.
Is it a single or multiple cell flashlight?
Is it possible that if it was a multiple cell flashlight that one of the cells was inserted reversed?

What type of batteries are you using?
Rechargeable or primary?
What brand?
Most TOP brands are very interested in these types of failures and will repair or replace the damaged equipment if found to be the fault of the battery (Duracell and energizer).
I hope that this doesn't become a trend. I also hope you did not get injured.
Be careful out there guys!!
Yaesumofo

I just had my "cyclops" flashlight explode while I was working at my desk. It suddenly dimmed down and I thought that the battery was going dim so I shut it off and put it down. About 3 to 4 minutes later there was a loud explosion like a gunshot and something went past my head and hit the wall hard enough to dent the wall. It was the lens and o ring from the light. I turned and looked at the light and it had blown the rubber switch out of the back of the light. There was smoke coming from the light and I could not touch the light for at least 10 minutes as the casing of the light was red hot. I took a handkerchief and picked it up and moved it off the desk to keep from burning the desk.

mhubble

Enlightened
Ive got 4 CYCLOPS batteries that came with a set of the CYCLOPS LIGHTS. After reading this thread Im not about to use them.

SO IF ANYBODY WANTS THESE BATTERIES FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY JUST EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS AND ILL GET THEM IN THE MAIL TO YOU.

EMAIL IS [email protected]

xlr8

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I realize this is a very old post but I bought a couple of those cyclops flashlights as well and have used them extensively for a couple of years without incident I've used Energizer lithium Photo CR123's. The only reason I found this forum was because I was looking for a replacement xenon bulb for one of them. Thank you for the wakeup call I have apparently done about everything wrong that I could of but fortunately haven't had any problems.

Cyclops appears to be selling the same flashlight with an added belt clip called the XCF http://www.cyclopssolutions.com/HTML/flashlights.html

My question is, should I abandon these flashlights that have until now performed very well. If so what would you recommend for replacements?

Alternatively now that I know not to run them all the way down I can be a more conscientious user and try to find a replacement bulb, (if any of you have any suggestions on where to find one).

Thanks in advance for your help.