Damaged eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Yes they are, i woked for a green laser company in the US, they sell the best laser product. we were selling high powed green lasers and got audited and fined by FDA. Look at all the high power green lasers they are pretty much all sold from over seas because they are illegal

You are wrong. Lasers that have the 5-point safety system. I am not going to waste the time to look it up, but here is a reputable site selling legal class IIIB lasers. http://www.thinkgeek.com/files/laser-instructions-2.pdf

Athoul

Enlightened
Wow... I'm very sorry to hear about what happened. I hope everything turns out ok.

I'm a big advocate of lsaer safety and have made many posts on it in the past (on other forums). What I really think is nessessary is some documentation included with every laser indicating the potential dangers and safe use of the device.

As for legality etc. 5-point safety features do not make it legal. These safety features are required for public use in... for example a club. However in your own home, a laser does not have to have any form of safety feature to be legal. When used outdoors, it's most likely not legal to shine any high powered laser around (safety features or not).

I have seen someone look into a laser device that had the 5-star safety because they thought it was broken. Lucky they looked away in time as the beam then turned on, due to the few second delay. Without proper documentation, this can be even more dangerous then a laser without a delay.

I have seen documentaion describing how to insert batteries, turn the device on etc... but as of yet generally no documentation on the safety aspect.

There's also those who insist that a 5mW laser is safe. This is not true. I have focused one enough that it made a tiny hole in a very thin plastic material. The membrane in an eye is just as delicate or even more so!

The accidents that occur with lasers are generally very easily avoided. I believe that it really comes down to the lack of danger awareness due to lack of included documentation. There's plenty of laser danger threads listed throughout the various forums, but documentation provided with the laser would allow everyone that purchased one immediate access to the information.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Wow... I'm very sorry to hear about what happened. I hope everything turns out ok.

I'm a big advocate of lsaer safety and have made many posts on it in the past (on other forums). What I really think is nessessary is some documentation included with every laser indicating the potential dangers and safe use of the device.

As for legality etc. 5-point safety features do not make it legal. These safety features are required for public use in... for example a club. However in your own home, a laser does not have to have any form of safety feature to be legal. When used outdoors, it's most likely not legal to shine any high powered laser around (safety features or not).

I have seen someone look into a laser device that had the 5-star safety because they thought it was broken. Lucky they looked away in time as the beam then turned on, due to the few second delay. Without proper documentation, this can be even more dangerous then a laser without a delay.

I have seen documentaion describing how to insert batteries, turn the device on etc... but as of yet generally no documentation on the safety aspect.

There's also those who insist that a 5mW laser is safe. This is not true. I have focused one enough that it made a tiny hole in a very thin plastic material. The membrane in an eye is just as delicate or even more so!

The accidents that occur with lasers are generally very easily avoided. I believe that it really comes down to the lack of danger awareness due to lack of included documentation. There's plenty of laser danger threads listed throughout the various forums, but documentation provided with the laser would allow everyone that purchased one immediate access to the information.

Hi,
actually, if you read the FDA'S
21 CFR1040.10 and 1040.11, it states all unregistered class IIIB laser pointers must be used indoors, in a room with no reflective surfaces and warning signs must be posted before entering the room.

Athoul

Enlightened
That criteria does not apply to your own personal use in your own home. You are free to invent and design things etc, with or without warning labels safety etc.. However if someone else was injured by it, yes you would be fully liable.

For example you could have a fully fuctional 100 Watt CO2 laser in your garage. If it didn't contain any safety features etc, it would still be fine. However the moment that others have acess to it, it becomes an issue.

Of course it's better to just always use the proper safety measures, but the point is that there are certian cases where it's not illegal to not have them in place.

As for safety goggles, you probalby want at least an OD (optical density) of 3 when using class 3b laser devices. The higher the OD, the more protection they offer. Make sure the goggles protect against all the wavelengths involved (eg. 808,1064 and 532nm for DPSS greens).

Last edited:

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Hey all, I am giving my final update. I had an eye doctor appointment today and had them check to see if I still have any damage. The results were devestating, apparently I have destroyed all of the green portion of my vision in my right eye and it will probably rot in the near future causing total blindness.

Hahaha, just kidding I'm fine no damage. She checked every section of my eye and could not find any damage.

Athoul

Enlightened
I'm very glad to find out that everything turned out to be fine. You did come close to potential damage though!

I'd like to point out one other thing, not sure if it was mentioned before. However even lasers of 5mW can be dangerous. 5mW greens would be more dangerous then reds because the red coloured tissue abosrbs green much better. Why risk it though? Always be careful with any laser.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think it is time to close this one in order to preserve it as a testimony and to avoid slipping into questionable jokes.
bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.