Dark, dungeon no more - the laundry room / utility LED lighting project!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah - next - Nichia high cri LEDs over the stove, and replace 3 fluorescent fixtures under the kitchen cabinets with about 12 warm XPGs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Awesome update. 10.78w along with ~2 watts wasted in the driver. Now, compare that light output to a single 14w CFL, or single 75w incan bulb. The battery of XP-G's wins that output battle easily.

Post some pic's of the cabinets/stove when you finish that project.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! After all the lighting was done, my wife and I attacked the room yesterday. Although you can't really tell it, a 'major cleaning and reorganizing' occurred. The garbage collectors probably won't appreciate the 12 bags of trash, but oh, well. The reduction in clutter obviously gave us more useable room - I moved 6 months of food storage from the rec room into this room. The reduction in clutter also made the room seem brighter still.

The lighting is very even and natural all the way into the corners, and the 2 additional warm XPGs directly over the washer/dryer eliminated any shadows and they provide useful lighting for the seemingly never-ending laundry duties.

And the savings - that's just 'gravy.' In addition to the single CFL bulb, there were 2 rather long CFL tubes hanging over the washer dryer. I don't know their power consumption, but if they were only 20 watts each (?) that amplifies the savings.

And for grins, I left the lights on for about an hour, then reached up and touched the MCPCBs where they are not covered, and the heat sink within an inch or so of the LED - barely warm. The driver gets warm, but not at all hot.

Great sense of satisfaction. And thanks again for all of the help and suggestions! lovecpf
IMG_0527.jpg

Last edited:

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
Nice work. I finished a similar project not too long ago, although less efficient than yours. Fun stuff!

Oh, and I have that same Craftsman tool box. Well over 12 years old and still going strong. :)

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Those 2 warmwhite LEDs really did bring out the color in the room. Comparing the earlier pictures to the current one is amazing. Detergent bottle coloring, blue shirts, even the crafstman toolbox... seem to benefit from a little 'warming'.

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Your basement looks amazingly like mine! Turned out really nice. I would like to do something similar to mine!!

asimba2

Newly Enlightened
I've seen plenty of AC-DC power supplies dump AC downstream after a failure. So, the danger is there.

While we are talking about circuit safety, could the OP install a 2 amp fuse between the AC wall plug and the Xitanium to protect the wire in the event of a driver failure?

P1030240.JPG