Darksucks willing to make a Ti Preon clip! Need 50+ people to make it happen!

hiljentaa

Newly Enlightened
Before I go any further, I suppose I'd like to ask what people do or do not like about the current clip. Is it just that people want Ti because it's awesome, or are there known issues about the current clip that I should be designing around? The more feedback the better...I hope this isn't considered hijacking?!

Hey Jason, glad to hear you are still showing interest in the project.

As for gripes against the stock clip, the biggest issue is bending. The metal is way too thin gauge. I've bent mine countless times in normal everyday use. It is particularly a problem with the P2, since the longer body gives more leverage against the clip.

The other problem is that its ugly. :p The strange shape and polished material just doesn't jive with the design, particularly on the titanium versions.

jurnaza

Newly Enlightened
Before I go any further, I suppose I'd like to ask what people do or do not like about the current clip. Is it just that people want Ti because it's awesome, or are there known issues about the current clip that I should be designing around? The more feedback the better...I hope this isn't considered hijacking?!

I clip my Spyderco & Preon inside my right pants pocket, however I always manage to catch the clip of the Preon on things and rip it right out of my pocket. The clip does not have a smooth low profile shape/contour to it like other clips.

archer6817j

Enlightened
I'd love more feedback on what people what issues they have with the current clip.

Here are my observations so far:

1. The clip seems to be under-engineered in the first place. Not the thickness of the sheet metal, but the actual width of the metal ring and the junction between the ring and the straight clip portion (see image below). The thicker clip in the photo is my Eiger clip. I did an LF2XT clip that is really thin like the Preon clip and it is prone to bending if you really wail on it. The thinner the material, the easier it bends, regardless of how strong the material is in the first place. Making a new clip stronger is going to be more about the geometry of the clip than the type of material. Spring steel and 6/4 Ti have "relatively" similar mechanical properties.
  2. Right now the clip is super thin right where all the bending load is...not at the bend of the clip, but right up against the body. This needs to be improved but that is actually pretty difficult because of the actual design of the light.
  3. Material thickness can be increased from .03" to .04"...the thickness of all my other clips.
  4. I'd also like to make the blade of the clip wider, like the Eiger clip...because that will be stronger.
  5. Increasing the radius of the curve where the blade of the clip meets the ring will also add strength...again, more like the Eiger clip.

preon-clip.jpg
Eiger-clip-600.jpg

My questions for you:

1. Would people be willing to have the outside diameter of the ring a "little" bit thicker than it is now? This means the OD of the clip will be slightly larger than the OD of the preon body at the point where the clip sits. I think we need to add some beef wherever available.
  2. Shape of the clip: I'm thinking plain and straight like my Eiger clip. I like clips to be simple, functional, and to not look like they are "trying too hard"...but I'm not making this for me :)
  3. Do you want to keep the shape of the original Preon "tip" portion of the clip? Or do people prefer a simple single-angle bend?

hiljentaa

Newly Enlightened
My questions for you:

1. Would people be willing to have the outside diameter of the ring a "little" bit thicker than it is now? This means the OD of the clip will be slightly larger than the OD of the preon body at the point where the clip sits. I think we need to add some beef wherever available.
  2. Shape of the clip: I'm thinking plain and straight like my Eiger clip. I like clips to be simple, functional, and to not look like they are "trying too hard"...but I'm not making this for me :)
  3. Do you want to keep the shape of the original Preon "tip" portion of the clip? Or do people prefer a simple single-angle bend?

1. Yes, I would prefer slightly thicker. (.04")
2. Simple, just like your Eiger clip.
3. Single angle bend.

pelotonjon

Newly Enlightened
1. I'd prefer the od of the ring to be "flush" with the body of the preon (although not a deal breaker).
2 and 3. The aesthetic of the eiger clip is good with me.

dbk067

Newly Enlightened
My questions for you:

1. A little would be fine. Definitely no larger than the tail cap. (I have a Preon 1 with flat cap, I don't know if the clicky has a different OD)
2. Not picky about shape at all. It would be cool to get it in a matching color (I have black), but I don't know if that would be possible.
3. I really like the Preon clip's tip shape, specifically how it ends parallel to the body. I think this makes it less likely to cut up whatever it contacts. This wouldn't be a deal breaker though.

lowindo

Newly Enlightened
If the clip is just wider at the front face where it attaches that would be fine. I look forward to more progress on this.

I want one!

Last edited:

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
My questions for you:

1. Whatever needs to be done to make the clip stronger. You might consider a teardrop shape, with additional material where the clip intersects the ring, but not around the rest of the body? Otherwise, slightly thicker than the body would be fine if there were no alternatives.
2. Simple style like your eiger clip is what I've always wanted.
3. Eiger style again, preferably. A simple bend.

Thank you for your continued effort on this project, I'm really looking forward to it.

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
1. Whatever needs to be done to make the clip stronger. You might consider a teardrop shape, with additional material where the clip intersects the ring, but not around the rest of the body? Otherwise, slightly thicker than the body would be fine if there were no alternatives.
2. Simple style like your eiger clip is what I've always wanted.
3. Eiger style again, preferably. A simple bend.

Thank you for your continued effort on this project, I'm really looking forward to it.

This sums up what I would like to see in the clip as well.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
sweet. Signing up now - really looking forward to this. I hope the 2K limit is hit.

btw, you may want to PM everyone who expressed interest - I totally forgot about this page til today and I was searching through it to see if anything became of it.

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi all, there won't be any major changes to the clip at this point, but I was curious:

Do people want the clip the same length as the stock clip or longer?

I would vote for longer, but I actually won't because I think it will interfere with one-handed operation on the 1xAAA light. So, grab your 1xAAA, twist it, and let me know!

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I'd like it to be a bit longer (I'm hoping for something similar in length to the county comm embassy pen), but I don't own the preon 1, so I can't tell you if it will work or not.