decent 75 dolar sharpener!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i get messed up on this when you say lower angle do you mean the back of the blade is closer to stroup?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw this is 440c steel i decided not to touch the aus 8 becuase its crazy sharp from factory

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what papper do ya all use for the push test? i only have printer paper

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
haveing trouble geting pysh thru papper test. you know where you dont use a sliceing action you just let the blade fall thru paper my knife just wont do that. it slices fine

[FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]A few tips:[/FONT]

• [FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]color your edge with a sharpie marker and make sure you are hitting the edge.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]keep the angle consistent as possible.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]Look straight down on the edge and make sure you can't see any light reflecting from the edge. If you can see the edge it needs more work.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]Get rid of the burr. Stainless steels form a burr very easily and it needs to be removed. Check out Kyle Noseworthy's vid on this:[/FONT]

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
what papper do ya all use for the push test? i only have printer paper

TP:

A really sharp knife will push cut TP. Copier paper is OK for a start. A knife that will cleanly push cut copier paper will usually scrape shave, but won't shave cleanly. Push cutting news print is the next level.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dang im giveing up for a few days. i can shave arms easly but cant push cut

raggie33

*the raggedier*
do i use oil on these stones to sharpe knifes? or just to clean the stones? i have no idea if there nataral stones

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
do i use oil on these stones to sharpe knifes? or just to clean the stones? i have no idea if there nataral stones

I don't use the Lansky, but based on what I read, they are oil stones. Generally speaking, there are two types of stones: water stones and oil stones. I'd recommend using oil on the lansky stones. You just need enough to lubricate the sharpening process. Excess oil will be a waste.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I don't use the Lansky, but based on what I read, they are oil stones. Generally speaking, there are two types of stones: water stones and oil stones. I'd recommend using oil on the lansky stones. You just need enough to lubricate the sharpening process. Excess oil will be a waste.
cool it should be here soon i hope very soon im so tired but im afraid some onevwill steal it

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i got a pet sitting job. good news the sharpmaker is on the way. is the lansys 20 degree setting the same as tge sharpmakers 40 seting?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its still not here im so tired but im afraid it will be stolen if i dont wait for it

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
nah i get sunday mail it came around 550 pm. ps should i buy any other rods

You really don't need other stones to get started. Some tips on the sharpmaker that I posted in another thread:

My advice is to watch the old video where Sal shows how to use the Sharpmaker:

Yeah the video is old and kind of corny but if you watch it and use the Sharpmaker like Sal demonstrates you will have good results. My advice is not to try to reinvent Sal's techniques.
A few tips:

Do most of your sharpening with the corners of the gray stones – if the edge is not sharp coming of the gray stones it will take forever to get it sharp on the white stones (the white stones are for refining an already sharp edge).

- Do Not sharpen the last ¼" of so of a plain edge on the corner of the stones – use the flats only for this or you may round off your point. For serrated edges keep the corner of the stone in the last couple of serrations near the tip so that the tip doesn't get pulled past the edge of the stone.

- Stand above the sharpmaker when sharpening. This helps keep the blade straight up and down so your edge angle is consistent.

- For serrated edges (use the corner of the white stones), I prefer to use the second white stone free hand to remove the burr by laying it completely flat on the side that does not have the ground edge once every 5 to 10 strokes to remove the burr, like Sal shows for deburring scissors.

- To remove burrs from plain edges you can strope (plain, unloaded strope) or use the stones at an angle slightly steeper than your edge angle with very light pressure. You can also strope serrated edges on the unground side, again by laying it completely flat on the strope.