Dedicated throwers

langham

Enlightened
Do any of you guys know if de-doming an emitter helps with lux in an aspherical application? I tried it with some reflector based lights and it almost doubled the output, but now I wonder if it helps with zoom to throw lights. Could someone redirect me to a thread that deals with modification of lights for extra candle power? I have read a lot of Saabluster stuff and have taken some from there, but we don't have any common ground in flashlights. Thanks for all of the help.

langham

Enlightened
AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate de-doming...

I will never and ever de-dome again... I screwed up deerelight R2 emitter with scalpel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does not work any more...

Don't laugh at me it is not funny...
Sorry to hear that you messed up your light, I haven't ever tried an R2, but they look more difficult.
34fbs06.jpg

I recently started de-doming and this is my fandyfire v6 style light, but it has a unique reflector (see how it comes all the way up to the emitter instead of surrounding the chip), and I am wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to this style of reflector. I de-domed 3 XML-T6 emitters and I messed up one by taking some of the top layer off of the led surface with the dome, I think this is due to the emitter being overheated at some point prior to the process. I like the new color temperature better than the stock color, and the one that I messed up has a unique bluish tint to it. Throw is greatly improved in all cases and the lower lumen output is only noticeable when directly compared to one with a dome. It did add a couple of rings to the pattern that were previously not there, but I think this is due to the design of the reflector.

Last edited:

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Just received my predator and it throws really well. It's my third dedicated thrower and trumps my xml thrower.

langham

Enlightened
I do not have adequate information to tell you if it is better, but after comparing everything I could find on the 2 lights I would say that the modified TN31 is substantially better in several areas. One of those areas not being total light output, but it is a lot more efficient. There aren't any numbers that I could find on approximate lux of the RRT-3 but I would say that the stock TN31 should out throw it by a good bit, and the modified one would do a lot more than that. This being said I have a Fandyfire-V6 that will get out to around 1200ft and that is enough throw for me. You probably paid a lot of money for the RRT-3 so my suggestion is to just avoid the OSTS TN31 at all cost because it will blow yours away. You can check it out on the OSTS website or on the Modified TN31 thread. Saabluster will put the Modified TN31 at 240kcd on average so it is an extreme thrower.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have adequate information to tell you if it is better, but after comparing everything I could find on the 2 lights I would say that the modified TN31 is substantially better in several areas. One of those areas not being total light output, but it is a lot more efficient. There aren't any numbers that I could find on approximate lux of the RRT-3 but I would say that the stock TN31 should out throw it by a good bit, and the modified one would do a lot more than that. This being said I have a Fandyfire-V6 that will get out to around 1200ft and that is enough throw for me. You probably paid a lot of money for the RRT-3 so my suggestion is to just avoid the OSTS TN31 at all cost because it will blow yours away. You can check it out on the OSTS website or on the Modified TN31 thread. Saabluster will put the Modified TN31 at 240kcd on average so it is an extreme thrower.

I have both the Saab modded TN31 and Fandyfire lights from OSTS.

The Fandyfire is really terrific with a good Neutral tint without looking too yellow like some do and the throw is better than most of my smaller tactical type LED flashlights like my Olight M3X etc.

The Saab modded Fandyfire throws nearly as good as a stock TN31 and I own a stock TN31 as well to compare these against each other.

I highly recommend the Saab modded Fandyfire in every way except I wish the Strobe was hidden from normal access on both modes that it works in by twisting the head.

It is great value for a light that throws at around 117Kcd but it does not come with any spare o-rings, lanyard or holster, just bare bones in my shipment anyway.

I am going to send him an email about the o-rings especially as they can become a problem after a while.

The modded TN31 is just the best compact and versatile thrower I have ever seen yet, but it is a bit pricey if you need it shipped from the USA to another Country like here in Australia.

Check out the Goingprepared website on Youtube and hit the link to the Comparison Tests.

The link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5DCCDFBD44A19BCB&feature=plpp

After you click on any of the tests or the Intro you will have the other video tests in a narrow long area scrolling below at the bottom of the page for you to click on and view.

ENJOY, and hopefully you will like the way he does the tests and he regularly updates these videos when new lights come onto the market.

I am sure you or any flashaholic would be very interested in his comparison tests.

It probably will answer a lot of what you are looking for and you may discover something that takes your fancy while you are watching these videos.

He has many LED lights that are all tested mostly under the same conditions and exposures in a few different updates to the series.

It has three targets in the bush at 100, 200, 300 yards plus the bush behind at around 400 yards and he shows you the spill as well.

The list of lights he has tested is up to or over 120 last time I checked it out.

I rely on his comparison tests just as I do Selfbuilt's Light Reviews.

Saab's modded TN31 really ROCKS!

Cheers

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my predator and it throws really well. It's my third dedicated thrower and trumps my xml thrower.

I really like my Armytek Predator XP-G2. It throws really well for the size and easily.beats my Xeno G42 XM-L U2. Perhaps you would be interested in a 2 x 18650 thrower.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN31 will do the job or you could go for the Supbeam K40 which is cheaper.

You could also go to the Thrunite Store and buy the "Hot Deal" combo of a TN31 complete with all bits and case plus an added bonus of a Thrunite T10 flashlight and all delivered for free.

My order was delivered with complete tracking info by DHL to Australia in just three days.

I don't know how long that offer will last for but I jumped in to get my combo for $139!

Cheers

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I really like my Armytek Predator XP-G2. It throws really well for the size and easily.beats my Xeno G42 XM-L U2. Perhaps you would be interested in a 2 x 18650 thrower.

I like to stick to single cell lights since they are still pocketable. Although I'd like to check out 2x 18650 lights, I'm afraid it might not see any use.

I'm loving the predator at the moment. The xp-g2 tint is blindingly white, no hints of blue :) Really happy with it. It's my first programmable light, too :)

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for putting up the L3 K40 Review, I forgot about the turboBB one.

The L3 K40 is really what could be called the little brother of the TN31 in that is slightly smaller in size and lesser throw with physical diffrences as well as a lesser throw that set it apart from the TN31.

It is not a copy of the TN31 as there are quite a few differences especially the physical ones in the L3 K40.

It is strange though that there are so many similarities like the magnetically ring controlled brightness levels that are exactly the same.

It is probably made by Supbeam or another Company that has produced all of the similar versions of the TN31 as said before on this subject in the forum threads.

Cheers

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to stick to single cell lights since they are still pocketable. Although I'd like to check out 2x 18650 lights, I'm afraid it might not see any use.

I'm loving the predator at the moment. The xp-g2 tint is blindingly white, no hints of blue :) Really happy with it. It's my first programmable light, too :)

I really like how the XP-G2 is perfectly centered in the smooth reflector. The beam profile is amazing. It manages to achieve a very defined hotspot and an out corona which lights up everything. It is a little different than my XP-G2 throwers as they exhibit a cell defined hotspot, but no bright corona for a more useful beam profile.

The tint on my is slightly warm and I do that I use single cell throwers more. I find the size and weight acceptable for EDC.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I really like how the XP-G2 is perfectly centered in the smooth reflector. The beam profile is amazing. It manages to achieve a very defined hotspot and an out corona which lights up everything. It is a little different than my XP-G2 throwers as they exhibit a cell defined hotspot, but no bright corona for a more useful beam profile.

The tint on my is slightly warm and I do that I use single cell throwers more. I find the size and weight acceptable for EDC.

Totally agree with the beam profile, the spill is still very usable.