Deepoutdoors Cold Fusion - Flooded Head

undrwater

Newly Enlightened
so I've done a mock up of the led, and the driver, and these look like they should fit. my biggest question now is which switch to select. if the boards for the switch in driver reach up beyond the plane of the emitter, will that have a negative impact on the spot?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I've done a mock up of the led, and the driver, and these look like they should fit. my biggest question now is which switch to select. if the boards for the switch in driver reach up beyond the plane of the emitter, will that have a negative impact on the spot?

Taskled Halltg or Hall.. The tg is a bit larger and actually locks the switch on when a magnet is swiped over it. The Hall only stays on when magnet is over it. Oh, and when I get my lathe up I can fab up the delrin plug for you.

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
what driver are you planning on using? that wil have some impact on what switch you need.

the taskled ones will work fine, assuming they will fit.
but if your driver only requires a low current momentary switch, a simple reed will do fine + probably takes up les space.

if the driver you want requires 'clicks and presses' for mode changes, the simple reed or the taskled hall will work with your existing sprung loaded magnet. if however the driver needs a quick power 'off-on ' then the taskled halltg would prob be the best choice.

undrwater

Newly Enlightened
Of the taskled drivers, it appears the lflex will fit best into one of those slots. The Halltg will also fit. Does this sound like a good combo?

gasdiver

Newly Enlightened
Hector,
Have you seen the new B3Flex driver? http://www.taskled.com/b3flex.html
b3Flex Buck Driver
Perfect solution for driving series strings of power LEDs
such as:

- XM-L
- P7
- MC-E (parallel die)

George says they are arriving this week.

Also, here is what I got back from LED Supply when I asked about a 3 up XML:

Dear Capel,

Thanks for contacting us. We are currently working on the 3-Up XM-L. It will be a larger star board (30mm vs 20mm). Since we haven't added them to the site yet I can't quote prices. It will most likely be another month before they are available.

Respectfully,

--
David McGalliard | Sales Team
www.facebook.com/ledsupply
www.ledsupply.com

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hector,
Have you seen the new B3Flex driver? http://www.taskled.com/b3flex.html
b3Flex Buck Driver
Perfect solution for driving series strings of power LEDs
such as:

- XM-L
- P7
- MC-E (parallel die)

George says they are arriving this week.

Also, here is what I got back from LED Supply when I asked about a 3 up XML:

Dear Capel,

Thanks for contacting us. We are currently working on the 3-Up XM-L. It will be a larger star board (30mm vs 20mm). Since we haven't added them to the site yet I can't quote prices. It will most likely be another month before they are available.

Respectfully,

--
David McGalliard | Sales Team
www.facebook.com/ledsupply
www.ledsupply.com

I will vouch for ANY Taskled product. George is awesome. When he came out with the Hall Effect Switch, I asked for the Toggle version and he had it out in about a week. I am also working on a high voltage video light and most of his drivers are rated to 25 volts. He is making a run of high voltage drivers as a result. The guy makes excellent products and he listens to our needs.

gasdiver

Newly Enlightened
So what do you think of the B3Flex compared to the H6Flex? When I asked George about driving a 3 up XML he suggested that I wait for the B3. I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand the difference at this point, but I'm learning...

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what do you think of the B3Flex compared to the H6Flex? When I asked George about driving a 3 up XML he suggested that I wait for the B3. I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand the difference at this point, but I'm learning...

I have used the H6Flex to drive anything from 1 XML to 3 XML to 5 XPG. Great driver. For simplicity, I do prefer the H6CC though.

undrwater

Newly Enlightened
3-up XML sounds great, but probably too much light for my diving style. Any comments on the Lflex driver with the halltg? Good combo for a single XML?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
3-up XML sounds great, but probably too much light for my diving style. Any comments on the Lflex driver with the halltg? Good combo for a single XML?

As long as it can provide 3 amps and take the voltage, should be great! Look at the datasheet for it and check on the efficiency, sometimes the more LEDs you have hooked up the better ewfficiency you get. Ususally from 85% to 95%. Ideally you shoot for whatever combo to give you 95% efficiency but it may not always work out. The less efficient, the more heat you generate so more heatsinking.

undrwater

Newly Enlightened
As long as it can provide 3 amps and take the voltage, should be great! Look at the datasheet for it and check on the efficiency, sometimes the more LEDs you have hooked up the better ewfficiency you get. Ususally from 85% to 95%. Ideally you shoot for whatever combo to give you 95% efficiency but it may not always work out. The less efficient, the more heat you generate so more heatsinking.

Is there some kind of formula that can help determine what the efficiency of a particular combination might be? Something in the data sheets to look for?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there some kind of formula that can help determine what the efficiency of a particular combination might be? Something in the data sheets to look for?

Look at the datasheet. George puts that information in there, I'm pretty sure. Although, I don't really worry about it too much.

undrwater

Newly Enlightened
I feel like we've come full circle. Codiak in the first reply to this thread suggested lflex with xml, and that looks like the direction I'm headed along with the halltg switch. Based on my poor measuring capabilities, it appears as if everything will fit.

Two final concerns: taskled states the driver should be against the heatsink. The problem is, where it will be sitting, the surface is curved. Will thermal paste or glue used to fill in that curve create any problems? And secondly, if the driver or switch reach up beyond the plane of the LED, will it create any strange artifacts in the beam?

Thanks again all!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like we've come full circle. Codiak in the first reply to this thread suggested lflex with xml, and that looks like the direction I'm headed along with the halltg switch. Based on my poor measuring capabilities, it appears as if everything will fit.

Two final concerns: taskled states the driver should be against the heatsink. The problem is, where it will be sitting, the surface is curved. Will thermal paste or glue used to fill in that curve create any problems? And secondly, if the driver or switch reach up beyond the plane of the LED, will it create any strange artifacts in the beam?

Thanks again all!

Thermal paste will insulate if applied as big globs. Depending oin voltage and current, the Taskled may run cool enough though, talk to George and see what he thinks.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, agree with you 100%. With Taskled, you know the products are built with quality parts, will work and there's someone you can e-mail and get a response. For the most part, George responds to me in less than 1 day! Try to get Dealextreme to contact you!

Yes, you pay for it, but when building a light where the LED can cost you $50-100, do you really want to put a $5 DX driver on it??

undrwater

Newly Enlightened
I've been back and forth with George now, and I've learned much just from a few emails. I wish I could use one of his H6 drivers, but they are too big. He then recommended the bflex.

The slot the driver fits into is 2cm. I may end up with the bflex, but I am curious if anyone has other recommendations.

Thanks!