Deer Spotting Spotlight

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virginia is another state where there are more deer than people. I live in a pretty urban area of Va and they are still everywhere. My furthest throwing light is a cheap $45 HID Ryobi spotlight I got from HD. The battery is extra. It is 2800 lumens and must throw a mile. Down side that makes it useless is that the beam profile projected is the arcane shape of the filament in the bulb its pretty nasty looks like a giant keyhole. Idk if its like that with most HID's or what but I will say damn does my Javelot light up everything as far as my eye can see or what? I also have the ET MX25L2 Turbo Head it throws the biggest beam I have ever seen out of anything. Beam profile out of the big Javelot is outstanding so is the beam out the ET. If you are gonna go HID go Polarion those are the only really good HID's I am familiar with but boy are they expensive! Good luck and keep us posted..

You're referring to the return wire shadow. There is a ceramic tube that surrounds it, many of us carefully use pliers to break that off in effort to reduce that shadow. Your bulb my need some slight focus adjustment as well.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
.... the OP never once mentioned firearms or even hunting.
True enough, he did not.

I don't know of a single state where simply locating deer at night with a spotlight is illegal. Even during hunting season it's not illegal unless you have a weapon in the vehicle with you. Also, there are some places where it's not illegal to hunt deer with a spotlight and varmint hunting by spotlight is very popular in many places, though I concede the OP wasn't talking about varmints.
Alabama is one. It is called 'harassment of wildlife' and it is a costly fine. It makes no difference whether you have a firearm in the vehicle or not.... in fact it makes no difference whether you have a vehicle or not. :)

If you scan a field or woodlot with a spotlight or turn your vehicle headlights so as to scan a field or woodlot and you are observed by a game official... you can and most likely will be ticketed in most instances.

Now, varmint hunting is a whole different ball game.

And also for the record... IMO, anyone who ""hunts"" deer for "sport" by 'Illegally Spotlighting' is nothing less than a common criminal and deserves whatever punishment is dealt them. :poof:

recDNA

Flashaholic
In suburban MA where I live we often see deer wandering around in the strangest places. I have woods on 3 sides so I see them all the time.

I am more annoyed by the "suicide" chipmunks. Just about every time I drive down the street one or two of them bomb out of the woods, tails straight up in the air, and run right in front of the car. I instinctively veer or slam on the brakes. One of these days a car behind me will slam right into me. I try to program myself to just keep going but I have no time to think so I just react.

The deer just mosey across my street so no problem stopping. The geese also take their time. Strangely, on the highway, the deer spring right in front of cars and get hit.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, lighting up wildlife is not illegal if you don't have a gun.

BTW, my GF is in ICU. She swerved to avoid hitting a deer yesterday afternoon. Medically induced coma. Car's totaled.

If things go badly, I might not have a GF anymore.

A few months ago, a friend of mine hit a deer with a motorcycle. It rashed him up, totaled the bike, but he pulled through fine.

In a state where deer outnumber people, this sort of thing is going to happen. Rural states need relaxed regulations permitting the culling of road hazards. I can see why congested mostly urban states are scared.

Also, my rifle light is an Armytek Predator Green. Night hunting is legal in my state, but not for deer. We can do pest control 24/7/365.

I'm so sorry to hear about your girlfriend. She and you are in my prayers. I hope for the best possible outcome.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, my GF is in ICU. She swerved to avoid hitting a deer yesterday afternoon. Medically induced coma. Car's totaled.

If things go badly, I might not have a GF anymore.

A few months ago, a friend of mine hit a deer with a motorcycle. It rashed him up, totaled the bike, but he pulled through fine.

Just saw this.. I'm also very sorry to hear this M_V, my prayers to you and GF. The deer infestation is totally out of control, and this is prime season right now (rut season). I've had 7 deer run into me over my lifetime, three while I was riding motorcycles (went down on one), four while driving cars - the forest kamikazes scare more than anything in the world.

Hope your GF recovers well.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate the well wishes for my GF and the deer wreck. She's out of the hospital with some bruising. The worst one is on her right temple, that's what worried the medical people. She's battered and sore, but she's ok. She's been scanned, observed, etc. Worst is over, worst was not knowing. I don't even know exactly what all they did.

I've been lucky for my area, only involved with maybe 3 or 4 deer collisions in my entire life. It seems that veering to avoid them causes wrecks. One time I veered, and the deer veered INTO my course change like a heat seeking missile. Apparently he decided he could take a minivan doing 50mph.

Deer are erratic and become aggressive during rutting season. One tried to take on a minivan during that time.

This was in a national park area where guns and hunting weren't allowed and herds of 20+ deer weren't unheard of.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been lucky for my area, only involved with maybe 3 or 4 deer collisions in my entire life. It seems that veering to avoid them causes wrecks. One time I veered, and the deer veered INTO my course change like a heat seeking missile..

Yes, trying to avoid them by swerving is an instinctive reflex, but a bad one. First, that'll put you off the road, and second, without actual evidence of an impact (deer body, blood, guts, fur), insurance companies will deem an accident the fault of the driver, increasing premiums. Impact evidence will deem a deer strike as act-of-God/no-fault/comprehensive and should not change premiums. I've read a few accounts of motorcyclists actually splitting a deer in half at the waist and without going down.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read a few accounts of motorcyclists actually splitting a deer in half at the waist and without going down.
My friend who had a deer strike on a motorcycle a couple months ago did exactly this, except he went down and then the worst part happened. He was banged up and rashed up lying on the road, then an inattentive driver actually ran over him. She fled the scene and apparently got away with it. Horrible. His worst injury was to his hip as he was a speed bump.

Anyway, I like deer meat. My state law says dawn to dusk, no night in my state. Since the deer have been depriving my friends of vehicles more than usual this summer I think it's time for a few winter steaks. :) A friend of mine said yesterday (talking about my GF) that if he ever gets in a deer wreck, that's the year he will start hunting. It's going to take quite a few steaks to replace a vehicle. Heh. I understand the sentiment.

Armytek Predator Green. Tight throwing, 3 mode. Good rifle light, throw is a bit too tight for a crossbow light. This can actually be useful in very heavily shaded areas. Good for big timber with a heavy canopy.

In my state to deer hunt at night, you must follow the pest/nuisance laws and destructive hunting laws; you cannot use the animal in any way or eat the meat legally due to the reasons for hunting seasons to start with. It has to do with summer disease of game animals.

I'm now not talking about "hunting season" hunting, but my state laws on pest/nuisance control. It's actually legal, but with limits.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a hunter myself, but I've given permission to several bow hunters for my property, and my neighbor too. Tree stands are up, and they've taken ~5/yr for the last 3 yrs.... still doesn't seem like they've made a dent based on glowing eyeballs my flashlight picks up every night walking the dog :(.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
is that it? The lens and bulb need adjustment? I do not know where to begin in adjusting either I do not know enough about HID I just assumed that is just the way the ultra cheap Ryobi was. It would be really nice to get a usable beam profile out of it plus the larger size 18v lithium battery pack it was all just above $100. I know not to touch the bulb with bare skin. How would I go about tuning this huge cheap Ryobi?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fritz did my HID, the beam is about as flawless as it gets for HID, AFAIK. Seen much much worse. Throw on tight mode is great.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Everybody wants the big buck on their wall.

It's the stud buck that makes a sterdy herd. The whimpy buck makes for whimpy kids. So shoot the bullwinkle with a paint ball. You know and he knows you shot him. Like catch & release.

Killing doe is what thins the herd. And they taste more yummy.
They make all the babies, and when the monster buck is gone, all those whimpy youngans makes for crazy deer herds. Did I mention they taste better?

BTT

It seems like some deer are like a moth to a light. They crave the self destruction...so give 'em what they want. Don't mow down an innocent mailbox...
Mow down the deer instead.

No wait...what was the topic again?

Last edited: