Dereelight DBS review!

JKL

Enlightened
:goodjob: WadeF !
When my DBS Q5 will arrive, I'll buy a Maxpedition UFBS.
IMHO Maxpedition holsters are excellent, this is what I use for my Lumapower M1.

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
finally mine arrived this morning,all all i have to say is "OMG i've seen poop that would turn you white"
here are some photos,this sucker is a real winner,beamshots later at nite :naughty:

dbs1.jpg

dbs3.jpg

dbs4.jpg

dbs5.jpg

dbs8.jpg

dbs9.jpg

dbs11.jpg

dbs19.jpg

dbs18.jpg

dbs16.jpg

dbs14.jpg

dbs13.jpg

the holster belongs to a Nuwai ALX352-AL 5 watter.
it fit the DBS :naughty:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs Happy to hear your DBS arrived nanotech17! I was feeling your pain when you'd post updates about it taking awhile. Glad it is finally safe in your hands. Let us know what you think. :)

My Q5 pills should be here by Friday. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nano, that holster is a sweet fit for the DBS. It looks like it was made for it. Congrats on your DBS. Very nice. :thumbsup:

JKL

Enlightened
Congrats nanotech17,
We are interested to your opinion:twothumbs.
Cheers :clap:

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
WadeF,
Thanks for the concern.
Looking 4ward to your Q5 pills.

Patriot36,
Thanks and yes it's so sweet,one should have one.

Dogshund,
I got a while back when i purchased the Nuwai at eliteled.com

JKL,
Thank you.
and this is my opinion :-
The DBS is very solid and well HA,the MRV that i used to have
is not bad but this one is the best in terms of build quality,
let alone the power from the emitter (let us refer to some photos)

The contender ( teaser photos) DBS vs Mag 2D ssc p4 DD with 1x18650
DBSMag2D.jpg

DBSMag2D6.jpg

DBSMag2D1.jpg

DBSMag2D3.jpg

DBSMag2D2.jpg

DBSMag2D5.jpg
tower1 - 150m from the ground floor with DBS
tower1.jpg

tower1 same distance mag 2D ssc p4
tower2.jpg

dbs 100m to the target - the tree
DBS100m.jpg

mag 2D ssc p4 same distance slightly off target
mag2Dsscp4.jpg

i had to rush while taking the beamshots because i was in the state prison staff quarters compound ( glad you get the picture :crackup:)
as for the wall beamshots i will add up later.

JKL

Enlightened
:thanks: Nanotech17,
very nice pics and great DBS ! ...a real winner :twothumbs .

Now I only wait my DBS Q5 ...:naughty:

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ceiling bound beamshots 15 feet from the floor.

DBS on Hi
DBShi.jpg

Mag 2D ssc p4
mag2Dsscp4-1.jpg

Olight T20 Cree P4 Hi
olightT20hi.jpg

Huntlight FTXSE Cree P4 Hi
huntlighthi.jpg

RB80
RB80.jpg

check out the hotspot intensity of the DBS & the Mag 2D,it's like it's gonna explode :aaa:run!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my replacement 3-stage Q5 pills to replace the two fauly 3-stage Q4 pills I got. The 3-stage Q5's seem to have similar output to the Q4 pills when they were working properly, which is to be expected. I didn't have a LUX meter when the 3-stage Q4 pills were working, so I was only able to take EV readings with my Sekonic meter, and got around 13.5EV, which translates into around 28,900LUX. I have to do some more testing, as I took my original readings with a different SMO reflector, which had a bit of a rainbow cast, so I got another which doesn't have the rainbow, but maybe the rainbow one produced a brighter spot? :)

So here is the interesting thing, one of my malfucntioning Q4 pills is stuck in high, but not just high, it's drawing 2A! It is brighter than the Q5's as they are drawing ~1.2A which is what they should be drawing on high. So I kind of have myself a TURBO BOOST pill. :) I'm not sure how well the Q4 would hold up to the 2A current. Maybe alright if I only use it for short periods of time. It's reading 13.7-13.8EV on my Sekonic meter, which is around the 35,000LUX range according to Sekonic.

On my DX meter the 2A Q4 gives me 20,000LUX, and the Q5 3-stages working normally give me aroudn 16,500LUX.

I have another LUX meter on the way and will be doing more testing. I also have a R2 bin CREE on the way. So do I swap a Q5 for the R2, or swap the Q4 for a 2A R2 to create as SUPER TURBO BOOSTER pill for the DBS? :p

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So here is the interesting thing, one of my malfucntioning Q4 pills is stuck in high, but not just high, it's drawing 2A! ... So do I swap a Q5 for the R2, or swap the Q4 for a 2A R2 to create as SUPER TURBO BOOSTER pill for the DBS? :p
Hi Wade, personally, I would be a bit worried about running a 18650 at that kind of battery drain. Clearly your 2A Q4 module is defective, so it's hard to predict what kind of battery-circuit interactions that could cause. Probably best just to toss it. Just my $0.02.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wade, personally, I would be a bit worried about running a 18650 at that kind of battery drain. Clearly your 2A Q4 module is defective, so it's hard to predict what kind of battery-circuit interactions that could cause. Probably best just to toss it. Just my $0.02.

Yeah, I'm looking to get more feedback about this. However, AW's batteries are protected, and should cut out if too much current is trying to be drawn. Does 2A at 4V mean the LED is running at 8 watts?

I have an Ultrafire WF-500 rated at 500 lumens that runs on two 18650's and I would think that bulb is using a lot more juice than the LED at 2A.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'm looking to get more feedback about this.
Try posting your experiences in the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" topic of the main CPF page. I've found a lot of CPFers there very knowledgeable about all things battery related. Good luck!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update! I did some more testing with my 3 Q5 pills. I found one is a bit brighter than the others, Q5 lottery. :) With my DX LUX meter I'm getting 18,500 LUX @ 1 meter. My Sekonic 408 light meter ($400 meter, but I don't know how accurate it is against similarly priced LUX meters) gives an EV of 13.6, which translates to around 30,000LUX on the Sekonic website using their EV to LUX chart. I got 13.6 LUX with my 6D Mag and Xenon bulb and fresh cells as well.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did more testing today with the DBS and the 3-stage Q5, I now have a 2-stage digital Q5 on the way which Dereelight says is a bit brighter than the 3-stage it replaced, so I'll post results when I get it.

Here are some results from the Q5, SMO reflector, freshly charged 18650. I have two lux meters now the DX meter, and I just got a meter, supposedly better (cost more than the DX) by Tes, the Tes 1332A.

DBS 3-Stage HI: DX = 19,300 TES = 26,200
DBS 3-Stage MED: DX= 9,050 TES = 12,350
DBS 3-Stage LOW: DX=2,280 TES = 3,120

To compare to lightreviews.info:

They have the CL1H V2 w/ 5-stage HI and OP at 5480 LUX

My meters with the same set up: DX = 3,540 TES = 4610

Lightreviews.info has the Tiablo A9S Q5 at 21380 for their max reading. So my TES meter, reading lower than lightreviews.info's meter, has a much higher LUX reading for the DBS 3-stage Q5. :)

If I add 19% to the reading my Tes meter gave for the CL1H 5-stage, I get the same figure lightreviews.info had for theirs. If I add 19% to the DBS reading I got on the tes, I come up wth 31,178. The interesting thing is that's about what I get with my Sekonic 408 meter, which gives an EV of 13.6, which translates to around 30-31k lux according to Sekonic's conversion chart.

I'd love to know what kind of light meter lightreviews.info is using and how accurate it is, etc. It would be nice if I could just add 19% to whatever reading I get with my Tes meter to get a more realistic reading. Or maybe lightreview.info's meter reads high? I find it interesting that their readings agree with my Sekonic 408 meter.

JKL

Enlightened
:goodjob: WadeF.

Did more testing today with the DBS and the 3-stage Q5, I now have a 2-stage digital Q5 on the way which Dereelight says is a bit brighter than the 3-stage it replaced, so I'll post results when I get it.
:thanks:

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I add 19% to the reading my Tes meter gave for the CL1H 5-stage, I get the same figure lightreviews.info had for theirs. If I add 19% to the DBS reading I got on the tes, I come up wth 31,178. The interesting thing is that's about what I get with my Sekonic 408 meter, which gives an EV of 13.6, which translates to around 30-31k lux according to Sekonic's conversion chart.

I'd love to know what kind of light meter lightreviews.info is using and how accurate it is, etc. It would be nice if I could just add 19% to whatever reading I get with my Tes meter to get a more realistic reading. Or maybe lightreview.info's meter reads high? I find it interesting that their readings agree with my Sekonic 408 meter.

My own meters, and one at work I have access to, are very consistent with the numbers LightReviews.info have published for various lights I have, eg. the Tiablos. My Tiablo A9 gave ~21 500 Lux when I measured it.
Stefan