Dereelight Javelin

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Dereelight Javelin deserves nickel-zinc AA cells

For most of my lights, I'm switching from 1.2V NiMH AA cells to 1.6V NiZn AA cells. But not for my Dereelight XP-G R5. With that module, three NiMH cells (3.6V total) are brighter than two NiZn cells (3.2V total), while three NiZn cells (4.8V) would destroy it.

I don't have the extender. Too long for me. Love it as is.

Some day I may try a single mode high voltage XP-G in the Javelin with 2 X RCR14500 but I bet I don't beat the output by enough to see it.

Who makes 1.6 V NiZn AA? Do you need a special charger for them?

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
PowerGenix makes the batteries and you'll need to get their charger.

Paul_in_MD is correct that three 1.6V NiZn would destroy it. I have a 3S - 4.2V pill and on high mode, it made the beam blue. Of course, it was only for a fraction of a second and then I turned it off. Appears no damage was done (still have 3 modes). But if you have it on the two lower modes, the beam is fine. I have it set up for three AA's and am using regular alkies until the juice is gone, then more than likely it'll be eneloops.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
PowerGenix makes the batteries and you'll need to get their charger.

Paul_in_MD is correct that three 1.6V NiZn would destroy it. I have a 3S - 4.2V pill and on high mode, it made the beam blue. Of course, it was only for a fraction of a second and then I turned it off. But if you have it on the two lower modes, the beam is fine. I have it set up for three AA's and am using regular alkies until the juice is gone, then more than likely it'll be eneloops.

As I said I have no extender. I was thinking of using 2 of them rather than 2 L91 primaries when my primaries wear out. L91's are expensive but these 1.6 volt batteries sound expensive too when you add the cost of a dedicated charger.

oops see on Amazon the price is actually reasonable. What's the catch? Why use Eneloops with these around?

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Personally, I'd rather have the option of tailstanding even if it is harder to do so with lights of these dimensions. Since I use my Javelin with an extender, though, tailstanding is moot. It's still nice if I want to throw it in a bag since the recessed button is harder to latch on while in your pocket (which is some manufacturers ONLY reason for having that feature, ask Henry of RA lights!).

Dereelights is, to me, as responsive as 4sevens, though. Jay (flashcrazy) mentioned that another tailcap is coming out for those of you who want a more protruding button, though in reality it's the same button with less metal around it. I won't be biting, but it's nice to see a company that listens to its consumers.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
recDNA, I see those two holes you mentioned. I'll try that tomorrow. Thank you.
Lisa

Let me know how it works. You may have to fiddle and diddle to get the eraser just the right length. It's a lot cheaper than going through mutiple boots trying to cut the nipple to just the right length though!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Personally, I'd rather have the option of tailstanding even if it is harder to do so with lights of these dimensions. Since I use my Javelin with an extender, though, tailstanding is moot. It's still nice if I want to throw it in a bag since the recessed button is harder to latch on while in your pocket (which is some manufacturers ONLY reason for having that feature, ask Henry of RA lights!).

Dereelights is, to me, as responsive as 4sevens, though. Jay (flashcrazy) mentioned that another tailcap is coming out for those of you who want a more protruding button, though in reality it's the same button with less metal around it. I won't be biting, but it's nice to see a company that listens to its consumers.

I agree. Jay is the best!

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me know how it works. You may have to fiddle and diddle to get the eraser just the right length. It's a lot cheaper than going through mutiple boots trying to cut the nipple to just the right length though!

I couldn't get it to remove, but then I'm not all that mechanically inclined. Plus I don't like to force things, so for now I'll deal with the somewhat stiff button.

Lisa

recDNA

Flashaholic
I couldn't get it to remove, but then I'm not all that mechanically inclined. Plus I don't like to force things, so for now I'll deal with the somewhat stiff button.

Lisa

Oh, too bad. If you have something that fits the holes it twists out very easily...unless you're twisting in the wrong direction like I did at first!

It is a little scary taking the tail apart if you've never done it. The first time I tried in a different flashlight (they all seem to have that same retaining ring) it wouldn't light when I put it back together. I freaked! After taking it back apart and fiddling a little it was fine. I just had the ring too tight. That feeling when you think you've broken a perfectly good flashlight is horrible but when you find you CAN get to work again you dare to try more and more. Before you know it you're much more comfortable with it.

I'm no modder and I CANNOT solder BUT I can take a tail apart and change a clicky or a boot. You've got to be comfortable with it though.

Actually I CAN solder I just won't! LOL

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
As I said I have no extender. I was thinking of using 2 of them rather than 2 L91 primaries when my primaries wear out. L91's are expensive but these 1.6 volt batteries sound expensive too when you add the cost of a dedicated charger.

oops see on Amazon the price is actually reasonable. What's the catch? Why use Eneloops with these around?

Why use eneloops? I have the extender and plan on utilizing it. But I'll have the option of using the 1.6V if I want a shorter light. I also have the Javelin Shorty using a 14500.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
Oh, too bad. If you have something that fits the holes it twists out very easily...unless you're twisting in the wrong direction like I did at first!

One of the tailcaps on the javelins I bought for my dad and brother was WAY tight from the factory - we had to use a pair of snap ring pliers to get it to twist out. There's no way we could have done it with a paperclip or similar type of improvised tool. Even with the snap ring pliers, it was very difficult to get it to loosen.

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the extender, but when I put 3 AA batteries in it, it doesn't work.
Did I miss something?

Lisa

recDNA

Flashaholic
I bought the extender, but when I put 3 AA batteries in it, it doesn't work.
Did I miss something?

Lisa

We need to isolate the source of the problem. I'm a poor mechanic but I can make some simple suggestions.

Does it work right now if you remove the extender and use 2 batteries?

Another thing you could try is unscrewing the tail cap just a little at a time 1/10 turn and try clicking on and off and see if that works.

I found my drop in was just a little loose inside the head and it cause the light to work eratically. When I took off the front bezel and tightened everything inside then put it all back together again it was fine. Try shaking the head and see if you can hear something rattling in there. Mind did until I tightened up the lens inside the light after removing the bezel.

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works flawlessly with two AA.

The extender goes as the last piece before the tailcap correct?

Do I keep the clip on?

I just tried the loosening of the tailcap clicking on and off and nothing.

I want this to work. The Javelin is my FAVORITE AA flashlight.

Lisa

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes, tailcap last. Clip shouldn't matter. Can you reverse which end of the extender goes to the battery tube and tailcap?

I don't mean to be condescending but all 3 batteries are new right? If one battery is weak the whole thing won't work.

Javelin is my fav too. Nothing else as bright with 2 X AA. I just ordered a Wolf Eyes Krait though because it should out throw the Javelin.

Last edited:

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to try and see if the extender goes near the head and not the tail. I am using fresh batteries, but I will put another brand new set in just to rule that out.

Lisa

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ya, what the heck. Lego it any way it wll all fit together. I mean a flashlight is pretty simple. We know the clicky works, the led works, so if the extender is connected to clicky and to body and batteries are held together by springs I don't see what could break the circuit.

If nothing else works the drop in may be a little loose in the head. Have you ever taken off the front bezel and checked inside the head to see everything is tight?

In my L2 I had to wrap a little aluminum foil around the silver colored plug of the drop in so when it went into the body it was tight and couldn't move side to side. It worked in the L2. I eventually replaced the aluminum with copper tape but it was only needed because the drop in wasn't tight in the body opening it slides into.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
If the drop in is loose the extra pressure from the extension might be moving it just enough to break the connection.

Have you tried taking off the front end of the head (bezel) to check inside? YOu may just need to tighten it.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Also if you email the dealer he'll likely have better tips than I. I find they often answer emails at night.