Did I get scammed? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Thank you so much for your hard work!

I filed a non-payment dispute with ebay...and just left a follow-up feedback saying how two e-checks were canceled before clearing. Hopefully that'll save others from being scammed by him too.

Go ahead and file with Paypal too. Just because the seller's address isn't verified does not mean you cannot open a dispute. Seller protection virtually guarantees you coverage for this sort of thing . . . but you're still entitled to dispute resolution for ANY paypal transaction.

The bad news, however, is that they lean heavily toward the BUYER, in most situations. I have friends who have shown proof of delivery and still lost buyer opened disputes.

It seems to me that these days, it's SELLER beware, not buyer beware, when it comes to Ebay and Paypal!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the guy finally sent me a Western Union / Australia Post money order and I received it today. We'll see if the check clears. Fingers crossed.

Thank you so much to the people that helped me out with this situation! Your kindness won't be forgotten! Cheers! :thumbsup:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So he's given up on the original bank and their e-checks? If this guy's genuine he must be almost as annoyed as you are.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
So he's given up on the original bank and their e-checks? If this guy's genuine he must be almost as annoyed as you are.

Yeah, he wrote me an email complaining about how I had my Aussie friends "check up" on him. haha. But I sternly reminded him that this was all his fault to begin with. He shouldn't be buying things when he doesn't have the funds to pay for it.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Releasing personal information to third parties is bad form. I would be seriously pissed of too, more since the guy is open to communication and is trying by all means to get you paid...:thumbsdow

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Releasing personal information to third parties is bad form. I would be seriously pissed of too, more since the guy is open to communication and is trying by all means to get you paid...:thumbsdow

That's the thing...He sent me two paypal e-checks that all got canceled at the last minute and he wasn't even trying to explain anything. It looked more like a stall tactic than anything. I wasn't about to call Australia and waste time/money trying to contact him. On google maps, his address showed an empty lot. So what was I supposed to do? Just keep letting him send me e-checks that would get canceled after a few days? Listen to his empty promises, while weeks and months go by?

You don't know the facts of this case and you don't know how much time and energy went into getting the money. So don't get all judgmental. I did what was necessary to get my money. My friend in Australia was simply acting as a liaison on my behalf to collect the money. The guy gave me permission to give out his phone number and address. They talked on the phone and he even wanted to give money directly to my friend and have my friend send me the money. But I didn't want to get my friend further involved with this.

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "judmental" reply/reaction was to the following comment:

Yeah, he wrote me an email complaining about how I had my Aussie friends "check up" on him. haha.

And you are right, I don't know the whole details of this transaction, just the information that you have provided so far. But, what do you mean by "chek up" ?? harass/threaten the guy to pay up?? He may have given you permission to share his info, but looks like he was not expecting you to send someone to "chek up" on him. Im not vouching for the guy or taking his side, but you seem like an experienced seller and should know better. Someone could have gotten in trouble.. Try using the proper channels next time.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, this situation has been resolved. Thanks to everyone for their input and kind words. I appreciate the support from the fellow CPFers that were concerned and wanted to make sure that I didn't get ripped off.

Cuso...yes, sir. Next time, I'll make sure I use the proper channels as per suggestion. Have a nice day.

Empath

Flashaholic
The issue is resolved, and the important considerations have been addressed. At the OP's acknowledgment, it's finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.