Direct 12v hid mod help

bigalex310

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to make a simple mod to a spotlight I have. I'm trying to instal a standard automotive 35w hid kit and run it directly off of my trucks auxiliary port. But, when I plug it in and turn it on the hid bulb just flickers and sometimes turns off. Soo I checked ithe ballast and bulb using my truck battery and everything turns on fine therefore the ballast and bulb are fine. Any suggestions on why the hid wont power up using the 12v plug inside the truck? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
I'm trying to make a simple mod to a spotlight I have. I'm trying to instal a standard automotive 35w hid kit and run it directly off of my trucks auxiliary port. But, when I plug it in and turn it on the hid bulb just flickers and sometimes turns off. Soo I checked ithe ballast and bulb using my truck battery and everything turns on fine therefore the ballast and bulb are fine. Any suggestions on why the hid wont power up using the 12v plug inside the truck? Thanks for any advice!

Bad cables/wiring/aux power port/all of the above. There is likely too much voltage drop. Have you tried it with your truck turned on / off? Would not be surprised if it worked with the truck turned on, but not with it off as the voltage is higher. If the reverse is happening, then the HID ballast is having noise issues with the power it is getting.

Semiman