Disassembly of some UltraFire batteries

eva2000

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the review, definitely an eye opener

I was in market for a new flashlight and was choosing between sticking with normal nimh AA based flashlight or going for 18650 powered ones and there's so many 18650 brands out there. I know which I won't be buying :)

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:
Stick with good name brands when choosing to buy 18650 batteries. (Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Sony, etc)
Also look at fellow member HKJ's website for very informative battery reviews.

eva2000

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:
Stick with good name brands when choosing to buy 18650 batteries. (Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Sony, etc)
Also look at fellow member HKJ's website for very informative battery reviews.
thanks for the welcome :)

been watching some youtube videos on ultrafire 18650 3000mah and wow some are even <900mah real !

TravelingGeek

Newly Enlightened
First visit to the CPF and this was the first thread I read! Great info and if the rest of what I read here is half as useful, I will thrilled.

Since I have a drawer full of these batteries that I bought at the Hong Kong night market, I will be doing some pretty serious weeding out this weekend. I knew I was getting inferior/fake product but I never would have considered them to be dangerous.

Thanks!
-TG

ChevellRCR

Newly Enlightened
Thank you HKJ for this info. I actually have a few of the red UF batteries you have shown above. Always knew something wasn't quite right.

Tony101

Newly Enlightened
At the top of every battery web page on ebay, there should be a link to this post. :thumbsup:

I have been supplied 9 ultrafire 26650 cells:
2 would not charge at all.
All the others fully self discharged in a time span not exceeding a a period of 1 month.

2 of them were identified as 'Protected'
When I took one of the non-functioning cells apart there was no PCB protection circuit.

Needless to say I would not advise any one to purchase any loose ultrafire cells or purchase any product which is obviously supplied with ultrafire cells.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Sick thread!

I have two Ultrafire 3000mA blue batteries and they seem to work fine (one at a time) in a Fenix that I have. Still, I'm paranoid, so I weighed them and one weighs 20grams and the other about 30. I weighed an Xtar that I bought and it was the proper 47g. I may just boot them out the door and be done with it.... they were only $5 from Amazon.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sick thread!

I have two Ultrafire 3000mA blue batteries and they seem to work fine (one at a time) in a Fenix that I have. Still, I'm paranoid, so I weighed them and one weighs 20grams and the other about 30. I weighed an Xtar that I bought and it was the proper 47g. I may just boot them out the door and be done with it.... they were only $5 from Amazon.

In my opinion, the sooner you do that, the safer you will be.

adubbz

Newly Enlightened
Love the cheap batteries for el-cheapo flashlights. (With single battery) but would only ever run quality 18650's in any flashlight that runs in series! Thanks for the write-up! Very interesting!

adubbz

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the review, definitely an eye opener

I was in market for a new flashlight and was choosing between sticking with normal nimh AA based flashlight or going for 18650 powered ones and there's so many 18650 brands out there. I know which I won't be buying :)

Oh man!!! (or woman) Don't let that scare you away!!! I've been using 18650's for a LONG time and will never go back! Once I found these cells it opened up my flashlight world to something completely different and much better! There are plenty of quality 18650 cells to purchase! I use Xtar's in my multi-cell lights, but to be honest I use a bunch of ultrafire's in my single cell lights too.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] The 3000mAh cells may be old quality cells, but they must not be used in series due to the huge difference in capacity. Neither type must be used in series due to the missing PCB protection.

When I read threads such as these, I am amazed that there aren't 10 times more of the severe 'flame'-related accidents in the general news.

HKJ, was it you who posted the 18650 disassembly pics that had mini-cells inside, or dirt/flour/etc ?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
When I read threads such as these, I am amazed that there aren't 10 times more of the severe 'flame'-related accidents in the general news.

Cells do generally not explode. Here are some of the test a cell must handle (From a Samsung datasheet):

9. Safety
9.1 Overcharge Test
Test method: To charge the standard charged cell with 12V and 2.8A at 25℃
for 2.5 hours.
Criteria: No fire, and no explosion.
9.2 External Short-circuit Test
Test method: To short-circuit the standard charged cell by connecting positive and
negative terminal by less than 50mΩ wire for 3hours.
9.3 Reverse Charge Test
Test method: To charge the standard charged cell with charge current 2.8A
By –12V for 2.5 hours.
9.4 Heating Test
Test method: To heat up the standard charged cell at heating rate 5℃ per minute up to
130℃ and keep the cell in oven for 60 minutes.

For the above test the cell will most likely vent.

HKJ, was it you who posted the 18650 disassembly pics that had mini-cells inside, or dirt/flour/etc ?

No, I have not succeeded in getting my hands on some of these cells.

Phlogiston

Enlightened

Magilla

Newly Enlightened
These Ultrafire batteries are a bit of a mine field, the amount of horror stories about them both on Youtube and in forums like this one are huge.

I would never buy an Ultrafire 18650 battery but my experience with them has not been too bad. I have 4 18650 powered flashlights that I have bought very cheaply from Ebay, they all arrived with Ultrafire 2400mah batteries and cheap two battery chargers. Two of the lights use a single battery and two use two batteries. I had no idea of the dangers of these batteries so I just used the lights and when finished I stuck the batteries in the charger overnight and put them back in the light next morning. These lights and batteries are now between 3 and over 7 years old.

After reading about the dangers of these batteries I went out and bought a good charger, a Nitecore D4, and now use that to charge the batteries. All the batteries still give a full light for a useful amount of time and I see no reason to replace them yet. My lights are used for fishing, camping and hunting duties and most times for less than an hour at a time.

On the charger all the batteries charge to between 4.1v and 4.2v though the older batteries drop to 4v after a day or two.

I will only buy quality batteries when I do eventually replace them but even that is not so easy, it would appear that most name brands sold on line are fakes as well unless you buy from a distributor.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Plenty of places to buy authentic grade A batteries. The people getting burned are the ones constantly looking for that unbelievable deal. At the end of the day one usually gets what they asked for. Buy cheap, get cheap,