Dive-Rite LED700 upgrade

Stephane_A

Newly Enlightened
Nice.
Any chance you could measure the optic.
Set it 2 meters away from a wall and measure the width of the beams spot.
Hi Packhorse,

The lightest beam is 60cm wide.
It's difficult to accurately measure the secondary beam as I have to hold the battery wires on the head's connectors. I will do it as soon as I have the pack ready.

Simple trigonometry gives an angle of 17°. That's not what I expected.

Thank you Lucca for the link. ;)

Last edited:

Griffo_au

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stephane,

Did you ever get a chance to re-test the beam? I've got two DR lights that i'm thinking of upgrading so this thread is very very interesting to me. It seems like you have done a lot of the hard work for me already!

Cheers

Stephane_A

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Sounds like I missed your question!
I can test the beam again and I can test the beam of the new DR MR11 light I moded (this one has a Gaggione LLS05 lens).

Stephane_A

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, I made the measures yesterday:
the Gaggione Modbar lens has an angle of 11.42° (40cm spot at 2m distance)
the Gaggione LLS05 lens has an angle of 17° (60cm spot at 2m distance)

According to Descartes's law, underwater this would give angles of 9° and 13° respectively.

lucca brassi

Enlightened
According to Descartes's law, underwater this would give angles of 9° and 13° respectively.

?

I did not calculate angle but the water is optically denser than air so it must be angle in the water wider .

It might work from water to the air ;-)

Last edited:

arek98

Enlightened
Stephane is right. Angle in water will be smaller. 1.33 times smaller. Refractive index of air (inside head) is 1 and refractive index of water is 1.33).
Denser material will get bigger angle between ray and surface (lens in this case, material does not matter since ray will enter and exit changing angle twice) which means that beam will be tighter.

ru551n

Newly Enlightened
Hello Stephan!
Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

I am in the process of upgrading my Dive Rite 700 LED as well.

How the h*eck did you remove the heatsink and electronics?
I have removed the optics and the glass cover.
I keep pulling and pulling, but the heatsink&rest will only budge a few millimeters.
Is there another screw, o-ring or something I have to remove first?

Thanks in advance!
/Sebastian

Stephane_A

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sebastian,

Oh yes, I remember, removing the heatsink was a real pain. I removed the o-ring with a small plier (cut it before) and with the center screw pulled as hard as I could.
There is a small groove inside the body so the o-ring gets stuck in it when you try to pull. You can also try to put some oil to lubricate.
Good luck!

ru551n

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sebastian,

Oh yes, I remember, removing the heatsink was a real pain. I removed the o-ring with a small plier (cut it before) and with the center screw pulled as hard as I could.
There is a small groove inside the body so the o-ring gets stuck in it when you try to pull. You can also try to put some oil to lubricate.
Good luck!

Thank you!
After reading some similiar threads here I came to the same conclusion.
Guess I'll buy som WD-40 and some pliers to remove it.