Dive switches

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know how the Greenforce dimmers are working in combination with a boost driver? They work with power off and on quickly but what kind of a board and how to connect it??

Arjan

I'm not sure exactly what you want to know, but I'll take a stab at it.

There are two ways to dim an LED: put less current through it, or turn it on and off so fast that the eye can't see it (about 100 times per second), and the ratio of on time to off time determines the brightness. The former is called analog dimming, the latter is PWM.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each method, and some systems use one, some use the other. Some even use both.

If you want to wire a dimmer into an existing driver, you have to know about both the dimmer and the driver, as methods vary. Some drivers are not suitable for use with dimmers, and some have dimming capability built-in.

I don't know the Greenforce lights in particular, but I would guess that they use PWM dimming that's built into the driver. It might be analog dimming built into the driver, but not likely it's actually a separate dimmer.

Hope this helps. If not, keep asking.

D

archer6817j

Enlightened
I'm relatively new to this but I've been messing around with reed activated mosfet switches and I really like them so far. They are simple to construct and the mounting options are up to your creativity. Oh and the parts are readily available and cheap. The main thing I like in a dive light application is that you don't have to penetrate the housing to install the switch. One less point of seal failure :)

johnnyryan

Newly Enlightened
what about a reed with a mosfet. ive just ordered to mod my greenforce so ill let you know how it goes. you think it will work??????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

johnnyryan

Newly Enlightened
Cheers. Glad someone else has tried successfully. I'm just concerned about the thickness of the aluminium torch head and if the mag can make the reed pull. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see!! Do u find the MOSFET overheats at all??

baywatch106

Newly Enlightened
How about some pictures the reed switch set up? I mean the whole setup. It seems that everyone has a different method to set up reed switch.

johnnyryan

Newly Enlightened
I'll have the pics up when I get the parts. Currently waiting on the reed, MOSFET, glands and mag.
I'll post when I have it done.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $10-12 plus shipping, why bother with reed and MOSFET when Taskled has already done it for you?

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello
about a switch for a divetorch ,,,i use a reed ,,for al the HID torches i made
it works well and so far no problem ,
i get them in germany
WWW.DEV-PEIN.de

and you can with 2 or 3 reed you can dimm
sooo i like tham very much

best regards
S.