DIY Dyno-hub LED tail light designs?

steveo_mcg

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I'd never seen those Red Zone's before! Wouldn't like to be behind one in traffic...

My 350ma red has this (1918) lens on it which diffuses the light, but its mainly just a way of weather proofing the emitter. The light is a bare emitter stuck on a piece of alu with the lens hot glued on top and the batteries in a bottle. The plan was to do something similar but with the bridge rectifier and supercap close by. Your plan is a little brighter than I had in mind ;), what lenses are you using to get your spread?

csaadaam

Newly Enlightened
The little bit of alu is probably enough its only two watts of heat probably enough to lower its life but not by much. I can't remember what the formula to represent area to heat dispersal, but on a moving bike you don't need as much as you would in a flash light.

Moving bike, but the alu piece is not exposed to fresh air.

BrianMc

Enlightened
Oh, I'd never seen those Red Zone's before! Wouldn't like to be behind one in traffic...

They are about the same as a car's brake light. Since they are flashing, and at the seat post height and small, they aren't as bad as facing an SUV's tall brake lights shining straight into our eyes at a stoplight. They do get a response in daylight. With five power levels, they can be backed down to be socially acceptable in your particular riding environment at night like an MUP.

Good drivers here understand the need with poorer drivers here, and since The RZ4's are not way brighter than lights on cars, I am not getting any negative feedback. I have cut down on the tailgaters 5 to 10 feet off my rear fender. That is way too close for them to react so if that is what it takes to get safer driving, so be it.

I have moved them to the ankles at 60 lumens to advertise I am a cyclist better. Spread out that is about the same as a PBSF with freshly charged cells.
Your plan is a little brighter than I had in mind ;), what lenses are you using to get your spread?

Three of these whenever the Cutter order shows up.

BrianMc

csaadaam

Newly Enlightened
I've received the lamp and the LEDs, but I'm facing a new problem: How could i manage to take the lamp itself apart?
Taking off only the back part gives not enough room to put the LEDs in. Should i saw it off? :)
Tried heating it (with a hairdryer :) ), but it doesn't seem to be glued, rather just melted together.
Any ideas?
Thanks

csaadaam

Newly Enlightened
How could i manage to take the lamp itself apart?

I sawed it off, just to realize that the LEDs are mounted on stars that are just too big to fit in the small lamp.
So anybody who considers to build a lamp with LEDs on stars, forget it putting it in the lamp.