DIY Headlamp Housing

EasyD

Newly Enlightened
Hello friends. Brand-spanking-new member here (though my brother has been a bit of a maven on here for a bit). Anyhoo, I'd like to get crackin' on a DIY LED headlamp build. I've got a few Luxeon ES True Cyan 3 Watt LEDs mounted onto stars from Steve's LEDs, and I've got both 4x18650 and 4x26650 battery packs to run them. I've got the drivers. I've even got some elastic adjustable headlamp straps. Problem is, I need some kind of heatsink/housing to mount the LEDs on/in to keep them cool/dry. Are there any on the market that some kind soul can point me towards? Thank you kindly,
David

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
When I made my first own headlamp, I made it from two aluminium profiles. With only a drill press I managed to make small threads in the corners and attached front plexiglass to it. TIR optics had their own adhesive pads. Dont how how much you want to dive into that, but thats cheap option that works. You can attach aluminum heatsink profiles on sides with screws if you need more heatsink area. Get then all parts anodized.

I can make a photo of that build If you were interested. After so many years I am still smiling how simple mechanically and electrically it was.

Second lamp I modelled in CAD and was made exactly with all features I needed by one CNC guy (at that time I didnt have my own CNC). It cost a fortune to get it done but I needed that to later start my business.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind its 13 years old. Cable originally went through the grommet on the side. Button is glued.

Attachments

• 20230613_131214.jpg
    20230613_131214.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 153