Do incan flashlight people also dislike Daylight CFL's?

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
As the title says, do people that prefer incan flashlights also dislike daylight 5000k CFL's?

Do you guys prefer the look of old-school 'standard' incan bulbs, and if so, what about 'standard' 3000k CFL's? Or what about the whiter 3500k CFL's?

Just trying to get an understanding of incan flashlight as compared to 'regular' light preferences.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To many incan users the color is the regular color and all those cfl and cool temp bulbs are the new kind.

Can't speak for all but 2/3 of my life was spent see-ing in darkness by either the light of fire or an incandecent light bulb. Hence why I see the incan as the regular tint. Even my automobiles still use a version of inan throughout except in the 3rd brake light on a couple.

Again I cannot speak for others, but I use cool light often. Afterall, they're here to stay. A few years ago we replaced most of the bulbs in our home with cfl because they last so dang long and use a lot less electricity for similar output.

For certain uses cool beams work better for me. Yet when my eyes are on vacation, say...chillin' with the wife by the seashore or just strolling around the block after dark I find warm helps feed the mood.

Plus with a warm beam the user is less blinded by their own light vs cooler beams.
Walking down a path with tightly packed underbrush for example..my xenon 4C tosses a beam several dozen paces ahead of me while providing about the same brightness of nearby items.
On the other hand my Streamlight Stinger LED on low puts out a lot less 'brightness' but the pure white reflecting off nearby object seemingly reduces what I can see those several dozen paces ahead of me.

If I only had 1 flashlight and could pick the tint I'd opt for about a 3800-4500k...whatever the Kelvin is that Gene Malkoff uses in his neutral drop ins. This tint to the crumudgen is like putting fresh C cells in an old Rayovac from days gone by.

I can read better by higher Kelvin bulbs with less lumens vs incan. Plus I don't get to walk into work and say "gee company ceo, I really hate all those flourescent light bulbs".
But if they tell me to go pick out a desk lamp, it'll provide light by an incan bulb.

Last edited:

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I was brought up with incans too.
It wasn't until I dug deeper into photography and learned about color temperature & tint, that I started getting into 5000k daylight CFL's. I'm still trying to burn off a few 3000k incans and CFL's.. And seeing those in a room next to daylight CFL's, the 3000k bulbs just look so ugly, dingy yellow. The 3500k CFL's are a tad better, but still ugly yellowish looking.

I could see the yellow being used for mood purposes, though.

And I definitely understand about white-LED flashlight bounce-back sort of 'blinding' what you are trying to light up in the first place. :) So are you saying with a similarly powerful incan flashlight, you really don't have that 'bounce-back' blindness? (It's been a while since I've used any incan flashlight, so I can't quite remember anymore.)

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my work to replace the T5 tubes with warm white. It started off just being the area over my cubicle but now the whole floor is warm. Good ole OH&S came through

Ahshan

Newly Enlightened
It's not so much the color temperature, but the very fact CFL's don't offer the light we've evolved with (full-spectrum, no flicker, etc.) that irks me. It's electrically efficient, okay. It's also a financially sound interest for the psychiatry industry.

Countless public and private sector studies have indicated fluorescent lighting in mental disorders, including "ADD/ADHD", and countless other disorders. To hell with it, I'll take some hot, inefficient, short-life/sensitive, increasingly expensive, and damned hell raising relic of a light source over any shade of fluorescent lighting anyday (or night).

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I can only use the warm white option with this type of lighting. I have two florescent tubes in my kitchen in warm white, but it is still inferior lighting to a light bulb.