Do you always carry a flashlight or only at night?

bottlecap

Newly Enlightened
I always carry at least one light with me. Due to a work schedule that can vary by several hours each day you never know when you can still be out and it gets dark

FrankFlash

Newly Enlightened
I didn't leave home without a torch with me the last few years. Independent whether it's day or night time. You'll never know when you will be back home. And even at day time a flashlight can be so useful. Being in South Africa it's normal to have power failures all the time. I had it twice recently being in a mall when the lights went off and it got completely dark.
Regards Frank

Wolfmanjack

Newly Enlightened
I always carry a flashlight with me where ever I go. you never know when you need light. For instance; those dark romantic restaurants the women like. I just whip out my light so I can read the menu and assist others as well. smile and wave boys...
seriously you never know when you need to see in a dark spot or when a place will lose electric so I feel covered by having a light on me.

LeBossu

Newly Enlightened
I'll be another heretic here, since I hardly EDC anything and prefer the minimalist approach.
On a normal day, this means I would have home and car keys, papers, credit card, a lighter, and that's all... I'll only take a light if there's a great possibility I will need one. I mean, I don't even take my phone with me everytime I go out! (but I should)
I do enjoy nice knives and lights though, because when I use them, I like the extra "feel" they provide.

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every day, all the time. I've been wearing my Texas Poker by Photon Fanatic for 2 years on a Ti curb chain. The tiny little 10440 light is now capable of over 1000 lumens out the front. With 7 modes and a reversing interface that steps into a hidden loop for strobe and battery check, it's a very capable little twisty.

Also have 2 MBI HF on my keychain, one in Ti with a handmade Ti reflector and the other in Cu with the Nichia 219.

And I've also been carrying my Eagle Eye X6 Quad at 4578 lumens out the front since I built it a few months ago. With it's SS belt clip it easily rides in my front pocket. Sometimes I have an EagTac on my belt, or a triple Nichia 219 a friend in Australia made for me in it's custom made Kydex holster.

Always have a spare 10440 for the Texas Poker, usually have spares for whatever else I'm carrying, depending on situations.

ftc159

Newly Enlightened
Always. I tend to wander off quite a bit. Sometimes to explore dark places such as old buildings or caves.

More than once I've headed out in the morning to go to town or such and ended up in the middle of the woods until well after dark.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even when giving a conference presentation yesterday I had the Fenix PD35vn triple XPL clipped to my pocket. Since we were in a room with no Windows that potentially could have been very useful, although it remained unused yesterday.

CreepyThinMan

Newly Enlightened
My AAA keychain light always goes with me and my keys whenever I leave the house, doesn't matter if its in the middle of the day in summer.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry at least one, lately my V11r nw, and when I have my car keys I have an E01.

in my bag I have a headlamp and a bigger (18650) light

at work- (EMS) I carry at least 3 lights day or night.

masterP

Newly Enlightened
I don't but I would if I could decide on one.....after reading about PWM made me wonder what lights have PWM and which ones don't.

I'm assuming most will since a pocket light will be a cheaper light and will have PWM. before reading about PWM I had no idea what it was....people were saying they get dizzy or nauseous looking at PWM lights.

I haven't played with enough lights to notice any difference

I was thinking about the Foursevens mini 123 or the Fenix E15 since I have a couple of lights that all use CR123 batteries

but then I read about some people getting dizzy reading with some of these small lights and that put me off. have to learn more about PMW first and what lights use it

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry a pocket flashlight clipped into my left front pocket. And the right front pocket always as an ample knife clipped into it. Both are used ALL the time, because they are always right there when the opportunity arises! Pistol is always along for the ride when I leave the house.

These days, the light is a D25A with a li-ion cell. Awesome light. And I use it just as much during the day, as at night.

Just today, in mid-afternoon, walking outside in the Arizona desert, I pulled out the trusty D25A and used it to peer into the small, shrouded opening of a Cactus Wren nest.

When you carry a light with you all the time, it's amazing how often you find a need for it - even in broad daylight! These opportunities to "see better with more light" have happened time and time again, more often during the day than at night!, since I've been carrying a light at all times. Many dimly lit spaces present themselves in the day as well as the night and having a great light always at the ready has been a blessing for me.

Last edited:

Phlogiston

Enlightened
If I'm awake, I always have a Fenix LD02 on my belt.

If I'm out and about, I'll have at least a Fenix E05 on my keyring to add to that (soon to be upgraded to an E05 2014). I usually have my backpack as well, which means I'll have my Sunwayman V20A plus whatever backup lights I happen to have in there.

The only time I don't have a light on me is when I'm sleeping, but even then, there'll be a V20A under the pillow.

Even in high summer, there are just too many times when I need a bit of extra light to peer under a desk or into the back of a cupboard. The emergency preparedness aspect is a nice bonus, too :)

Latest posts