Do you remember what you were doing on Sept. 11 2001?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was driving home from school when I got a phone call from my mother. She was frantic and tried to tell me what happened. All I could hear was New York, Two Buildings, and go donate blood. I didn't get the what she was trying to say until I turned on the tv and saw the second plane crashed into the 2nd tower.

Do you remember what you were doing?

Acid87

Enlightened
I was at high school and heard rumours of a terrorist attack which wasn't uncommon since I was living in Northern Ireland. It wasn't until I got home I realised the extent of the attack.
It was truly shocking even at 14 it's not until years later you grasp the enormity of that days events. My heart goes out to everyone affected by the events.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was woke up from sleep to my phone ringing with a call from my father telling me to turn on the news. I asked what channel and was told ANY of them!
Right then I knew something bad had happened but was not prepared for what I was about to witness!
To say I was awstruck would be a huge understatement! I fact there are still no words to describe the emotions I was feeling.
They say during moments of great distress, that you'll always remember those moments like it was yesterday.....how very true!
Watching the events of that day unfold on the TV, left me feeling shaken to my core!
I knew that after that day America would never be the same. Not only because of the victims, but because of the aftermath of changes that would take place as a result.

I pray for those victims families and hope we never again have something so tragic happen again..:sigh:

Unfortunately the world is a very messed up place and things only seem to be getting worse.

Jep

Newly Enlightened
i was traveling for work in troy, oh. didnt watch any of it on TV just listened to radio. i'm glad i didnt watch it on TV, i dont like the way the media visually exploits disasters for ratings

fl0t

Enlightened
I walking to my high school when the first tower was hit. For the second one I was watching CNN live.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sitting in my 9th grade electronics class at the Vo-tech school. The guidance counselor walked in after the first plane hit the tower and told us to turn on CNN. We watched CNN as the other attacks unfolded. I remember many parents coming to pick their children up early after the attacks, me being one of them. It's the only time I can ever remember, where I didn't want to leave school, I wanted to sit right there with my fellow classmates as history unfolded before us.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting ready for work when the TV news broke in with the story. My wife and I watched as the first Tower was hit and while on the Metrolink train listened to the news of the 2nd Tower, Pentagon anf Flight 93. Spent all day watching the TV coverage at work (IT DR is my profession). Horrifying and surreal experience.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was the middle of the night here... I'd had a perfectly ordinary day, went to bed and struggled to get to sleep. I turned on the TV to clear my mind, just in time to see the second plane hit...

stoli67

Enlightened
Same for me... Night time over here....

Got a phone call from a friend in New York as soon as the first plane hit then was up all night watching the TV

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had just bought our first BIG Screen TV the night before.
Being on the West Coast, we are 3 hours behind, so just woke up, turned on the TV before breakfast just as the second plane hit the second tower.
I was in shock.
One of my first thoughts were "who ever planned this was brilliant. Delaying the second strike, so that the NEWS teams would be broadcasting LIVE..."

ganymede

Enlightened
I was about to have dinner with a few friends in a new restaurant. My then girlfriend called and told me about the news, I was shocked! We went up to the 107th floor years back.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I woke up on a pallet made from couch cushions with my friend Chad shaking me, and his girlfriend yelling at me to look at the TV...

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Sitting in a college classroom, and a burnout professor sticks his head into the classroom. "Hey man, a airplane just flew into one of the world trade center towers." The class emptied out and we were all watching on a 13" TV in the teachers office.

I will never forget, god bless the victims and their families and the first responders to all 3 9/11 sites.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was driving up River Road in New Jersey from Hoboken to Fort Lee listening to Howard Stern start to broadcast about what was happening. I watched the towers smoking and fall from my a window in my office overlooking the George Washington Bridge and the Hudson River all the way down to lower Manhattan. I left work about 11am and it took me about 3 hours and a few police check points to drive back down to Jersey City, NJ where I was living at the time. I was living about a mile in from the river and walked down to the NJ side of the Hudson River directly across from the WTC and just stood in amazement watching the aftermath of what had happened.

My parent live in Brooklyn near Brooklyn Heights. They still have printed out emails from one of the towers which blew across the East River about 2-3 miles and landed in their back yard.

During the following week I took a trip into Manhattan and went up to 14th Street Union Square Park where all the people looking for their loved ones had posted pictures and memorials. It was one of the most emotional experiences ever in my life.

Visions I will never get out of my head. I can't get myself to watch the 9/11 movie which came out a few years back. I don't know if others have watched it, but Steven Spielberg produced a Discovery show called Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero which has been a very emotional tale of the construction over that past few years. I highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Imon

Enlightened
I was in high school just getting out of my first class of the morning when I heard that the first tower was hit. We spend the rest of the day just watching the television.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Living in California, it was early morning when the first tower was hit. I had made it a habit of listening to CDs when driving and I noticed that traffic was light that day driving to work. Clueless. I had just started a new contract job at a company and this was my second week on the job. The entire company, except for a few individuals and all of the contractors, were on a team building exercise and were in Southern California that week so it was a ghost town in the office when I arrived. I sat at my desk trying not to surf the web (new job and all) and trying not to fall asleep. I decided to call my recruiter, but, I got his voicemail so I hit zero on the phone to get the receptionist to page him. She was frantically telling me that they were evacuating the building. I was obviously clueless and asked, why? She yelled, "didn't you see the news? We're getting the F out of the building and you should do the same!" I then decided to pull up MSN and found that I couldn't. I tried a few other news sites and found that I couldn't. I just kept trying and eventually got MSN to load and it was about that time that the person with the highest rank remaining in the office walked up to my desk and told me to go home, which I did.

I visited ground zero about six years ago. My coworker and I didn't talk for about an hour as we walked around that area. It was an emotional experience.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Was at work in Montclair NJ sitting at my desk ordering parts for my mechanics and listening to the TV when someone yells turn on Channel 2 my GF just called and said a plane hit World Trade as i changed the channel we saw the second plane hit. We knew it was no accident when about 2 mins later I hear the unmistakable sound of Military Aircraft and step outside with one of my co-workers to see two F-15s go supersonic over us.They were paired up tight on Combat Air Patrol. It was a day like no other you could really feel how scared/nervous people were. My Dad was working on the New Jersey Turnpike and after going through 2 State Police checkpoints drove south in the North lanes of the pike from the GWB to exit 16E (Lincoln Tunnel) to man the tolls with the Troopers, FBI and the Army who were stationed there. They actually had some people try to run the tolls to get to the tunnel and not wanting to take no for an answer when told the roads were closed.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was at work in Uniondale Long Island. Office job. Skip-tracer on the financial side. Small company. We all sat in a very large, open room. Our boss Mitch sat practically in the middle of us. Suddenly he looks up from his computer and says that a plane crashed into one of the twin towers. I do remember thinking immediately that it was most likely a small, single-engine plane that flew off course. That perhaps the pilot had a few too many drinks. Thought the incident would go down as an unfortunate accident and that it would soon be forgotten.

When Mitch looked up at us again and said that another plane had crashed into the other tower, that's when it began to dawn on me that this was no isolated incident. The company is gone now. Went belly-up. I still sometimes drive past the single-story building.

Right after the news, everyone in the office only cared about getting home to their loved ones. I agreed to drive a co-worker home, but all the main roads were shut down by the local police. No matter which way we went, it was no good. Then I remembered an enterance onto the Clearview expressway that was never very busy. I decided to try it before heading back to the office. Sure enough, it wasn't shut down. I couldn't get the young co-worker home. But I did get us to my neighborhood. I pointed out the subway station to her, and she had made up her mind to take a chance on getting home that way. Apparently the subway wasn't shut down either. She made it home. I drove back a few miles before reaching my home. That day 10 years ago just seemed very surreal.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at work...15 minutes after the first jet hit, I was "breaking out" missile components so we could load missiles to the fighter jets (F-15's)...pretty fast response considering no-one saw it coming...3 weeks later 80% of my work place was supporting operations in Afghanistan (or there abouts). Wish I coulda gone with them to deal some "Steel Rain" to the pricks, but I had orders to Korea :0(.

I explicitly remember going into our "Control" section, and my Chief asking me "Ya ready to go build some bombs and kill some bad guys?"..."Hell Yeah, Sir".

Last edited:

Latest posts