Do you text a lot?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great way to communicate quick information to and from my wife regarding our activities.
This is not because we don't know how to speak, merely that not everything deserves a phone call.
Got a few friends who communicate via text instead of email, free texting iPhone to iPhone, no problems.
Depending on how a person's email settings are configured a message may not arrive in a timely manner, text is quick and you know you've made your best effort short of calling.
If it's important enough, I'll call.

I agree 100%. I don't need to make a call to let someone know I'll be there in 5 min.

cdrake261

Enlightened
80+ a day usually...I rather text than calls so I can multitask and carry on a conversation

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I send about 1500 texts a month. I'm an old guy who has completely embraced this technology, and is always looking for other options. My friends all know that I'm very responsive to texts, but there are a ton of reasons I might not answer a call: quality time w/ the kids, eating, meeting at work, don't want to lose my train of thought, etc. I'd just rather not be interrupted for every conversation. And if we must talk live, I'd rather do it in-person than on the phone... so they should still text me! ("gotta talk, meet at 5?").

I just discovered Voxer, which fills in a gap between texting and phone calls, giving even less reason for anyone to ever call me :) It's a push-to-talk application, so we can talk live walkie-talkie style (which still lets me listen to the message, then respond a few seconds or minutes later when it's convenient), or it just leaves the message recorded so I can listen to it whenever

rock_007

Newly Enlightened
I text atleast 40-50/day, I normally talk to friends through texting.
I think it helps us to be in touch though we can't meet, though texting is always chargeable for me it takes .10 ps to send a text message for me.

Bigpal

Enlightened
I probably average 10-15 a day. I have a friend and her last cycle had 1,515 texts. Holy mackrel!

:faint:

...but there are a ton of reasons I might not answer a call: quality time w/ the kids, eating, meeting at work, don't want to lose my train of thought, etc...

Me too. For a simple "be there in 20 min.", "gonna be late" - text please. I particularly can't stand when someone calls and has nothing to say, or just wants to BS. I do not use the phone for BS'ing.

Last edited:

redaudi

Newly Enlightened
I text quite a bit, but a lot of it is army use. it's easier to keep up with multiple people/subordinates/superiors via text then via constant phone calls.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, Thanks for providing another subject to rant about.....

I never text! I have done it a few times, but even then I dont get the point of it.

It makes no sense to me to sit there and type sentences on this little friggin' keypad when I can use the exact same device to just push a button or 2 , call the person and just say what I need to say without having to keep typing messages back and forth. If I told you you needed to install a new type of toilet into your bathroom, not to replace the existing toilet, but to use alongside the existing toilet. So I install the new toilet, and you come home to find that the new toilet doent have any plumbing hooked up to it, and no drain. So I tell you that you just have to use a scoop and clean it out manually every time you use it.

Would you use that new toilet, or keep using the one right beside it with plumbing and drainage, etc.?

Same with texting! Why should I communicate with someone in the most inconvenient way possible when I have a friggin phone right in my hand!?! Makes no sense, and it is more dangerous when driving, because you MUST take your eyes off the road to see what you are typing, which is a completely redundant task anyway, because, again, you have a phone right there!

Maybe people just like making some things more difficult on themselves. Why not throw a backpack with a 75lb weight inside it when you walk everywhere, that will make that simple task more difficult, just like texting!

Anyway, whatever floats people's boats..... Some people think I'm stupid for buying more than one flashlight, and maybe they are right, but I am right about texting so Ha!!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With flashlights, you always need at least one more on you in case the batteries in the first one die.

Wrend

Enlightened
I do a lot of driving for my job.

My favorite people are those waiting at green lights/stop signs looking down at what they're typing. They actually often don't even care that they're holding up traffic since what they're doing is obviously more important.

I've seen at least one accident that I know of (happened today - young guy in the lane over from me drove into the back of a semi stopping for a light), and likely more due to driving while texting.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite people are those waiting at green lights/stop signs looking down at what they're typing. They actually often don't even care that they're holding up traffic since what they're doing is obviously more important.

I see lots of those! And when you look at them; they give you the "bad @ss" look.