Dobermann. Tactical lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
How measurements had been done? (equipment, distance). Measurements made by our engineers are the same as written. You should take into consideration different conditions of measurements. And, besides, Cree diodes from the factory can contain errors in brightness. And difference between diodes can reach 10%.

Thank you, Armytek. I have no way to do my own measurements, but I'll take your word for it. I am very happy with my Dobermann Pro Limited Edition. It is a very bright light with excellent range for its size.

shrike2222

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, Armytek,
I wonder what is exactly lumen of Doberman Pro XP-L HI Limited Edition.
As your website, there is no difference lumen between Doberman XP-L and Doberman Pro XP-L HI. Both are 1250 Led Lumen.

However, on Cree's data XP-L HI can produce same output with XP-L HD. Because for now XP-L HI's max Flux is V3.
Below photo is Cree's data page.

2513A94156192043131499

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, Armytek,
I wonder what is exactly lumen of Doberman Pro XP-L HI Limited Edition.
As your website, there is no difference lumen between Doberman XP-L and Doberman Pro XP-L HI. Both are 1250 Led Lumen.

However, on Cree's data XP-L HI can produce same output with XP-L HD. Because for now XP-L HI's max Flux is V3.
Below photo is Cree's data page.

2513A94156192043131499

AT is over-driving the XPL HI beyond 3A.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pro HI limiteds are 4 amp lights. Got that info from the Predator Pro thread. Now that I have a limited Predator Pro HI I totally believe the 4 amp feature. Just ordered the Dobermann Pro XP-L HI should be interesting

Vol

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a dobermann pro limited with hi led.

It did not come with a manual.

I could not find a download on Armytek's site.

Any help appreciated.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a dobermann pro limited with hi led.

It did not come with a manual.

I could not find a download on Armytek's site.

Any help appreciated.

Head tightened for max mode.
Head loosened for alternating additional modes.
With head loosened (just ever so slightly until you see the max mode change to a lower mode) half press or full press switch in quick succession to change modes.
To toggle including or excluding the moonlight and strobe modes in the mode sequence, twist the head quickly 3 times (try 4 times if 3 times doesn't work): loosen/tighten from the head tightened state OR tighten/loosen from the head loosened state.
Battery and heat indication blinks are identical to the V3 Pro Predator and Viking IIRC.

rfl

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the Doberman Pro XP-L HI was over current. Because on website Doberman XP-L and XP-L HI LE are exactly same runtime.

If Doberman Pro XP-L HI were over current, run time will be different with normal version.

It is likely that the Dobermann Pro is operating at a higher current than the Dobermann. Of course you are absolutely right that the runtimes will be different in that case. However it is pretty obvious by now that Armytek's specifications for new/updated models are usually copies of specifications the older models; with a few changes to some of the more relevant values, such as throw and candela. Even if they did not increase the current, it isn't plausible that the lumen, runtime and beam angles would be exactly the same for the two models. Again, those values are obviously copied from the Dobermann -- so they aren't really very accurate -- and therefore offer no evidence regarding the current in the Dobermann Pro.

What I have found is that the Dobermann Pro does not maintain max output very well on my Eagletac 3400mAh batteries. Those batteries have been very reliable with all of my other flashlights which draw about 3 Amps. The Dobermann Pro does maintain max output with some new Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA batteries. The NCR18650GA can deliver 10 Amps. While not definitive, it does suggest that the Dobermann Pro is drawing greater current than the Dobermann.

To be sure, even though (1) I'm critical of the way that Armytek documents their flashlights online and (2) I don't believe the HI versions meet some of Armytek's claims --- I do think the Dobermann Pro XP-L HI is a very good flashlight. It has a very good beam profile for a flashlight with a 34mm head. Overall, I'm quite happy with it. Lastly, the one time I emailed Armytek directly with a specific question I received a direct answer very quickly. The next time I'm considering an Armytek flashlight I'll feel confident about their email support line.

Cheers!

shrike2222

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree your mention.
Doberman Pro's specification was copied from Doberman.
And I like Doberman Pro XP-L HI. It is very impressive beam shot even though it is quite handy sized flashlight.

The only matter is Armytek's information! If they tell us more exactly information, Armytek's brand power will be better than now.

It is likely that the Dobermann Pro is operating at a higher current than the Dobermann. Of course you are absolutely right that the runtimes will be different in that case. However it is pretty obvious by now that Armytek's specifications for new/updated models are usually copies of specifications the older models; with a few changes to some of the more relevant values, such as throw and candela. Even if they did not increase the current, it isn't plausible that the lumen, runtime and beam angles would be exactly the same for the two models. Again, those values are obviously copied from the Dobermann -- so they aren't really very accurate -- and therefore offer no evidence regarding the current in the Dobermann Pro.

What I have found is that the Dobermann Pro does not maintain max output very well on my Eagletac 3400mAh batteries. Those batteries have been very reliable with all of my other flashlights which draw about 3 Amps. The Dobermann Pro does maintain max output with some new Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA batteries. The NCR18650GA can deliver 10 Amps. While not definitive, it does suggest that the Dobermann Pro is drawing greater current than the Dobermann.

To be sure, even though (1) I'm critical of the way that Armytek documents their flashlights online and (2) I don't believe the HI versions meet some of Armytek's claims --- I do think the Dobermann Pro XP-L HI is a very good flashlight. It has a very good beam profile for a flashlight with a 34mm head. Overall, I'm quite happy with it. Lastly, the one time I emailed Armytek directly with a specific question I received a direct answer very quickly. The next time I'm considering an Armytek flashlight I'll feel confident about their email support line.

Cheers!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pro HI limiteds are 4 amp lights. Got that info from the Predator Pro thread. Now that I have a limited Predator Pro HI I totally believe the 4 amp feature. Just ordered the Dobermann Pro XP-L HI should be interesting

CC, has your DP arrived? Would like to hear your impressions of the light, how it compares to the Predator LE, and how it stacks up against the ET T25C2 with XP-L HI.
BTW, have you had a chance to test out your Predator LE against your ET G25C2 XP-L HI?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
scs

Although I really do not know what to believe anymore from AT I did indeed get my Limited DP XP-L HI a few days ago. It is outstanding. I now own 2 AT's both Limited Edition (and very expensive) XP-L HI Pros (Predator Pro V3 and DP). I have been reading these AT posts for a bit now and was very worried I would get a bad product. Both my XP-L HI Pro's function flawlessly and showed up in perfect condition. I am actually so impressed I am saving for the older 2.5 Pred Pro just to see what all the hype was about for that light.

DP XP-L HI has astonishing throw for a light its size. The profile has artifacts around the spill from the DP's tall crenellated bezel but it does not bother me. I thought the hot spot out the DP would be larger but am in no way complaining.

I have gone over both lights with 3 magnifying glasses examining the first rate reflectors and genuine XP-L HI emitters. I have never seen anodizing so good on any other light not even close. Best highest quality optics I have yet seen on a stock light as well.

Lastly I will say this-the very expensive copy of the Predator Pro V3 XP-L HI I got LOST against my factory freak ET in my "park test". Not by a huge margin but enough to be clear and visible. Ill also say again I have no clue what emitter ET actually put in my light or what other things they may have done. I do not understand it. The excellent AT I measured the reflector depth best I could has a gorgeous reflector that is by my estimate at least 4mm deeper than my ET.

That being said the AT Pred Pro Limited HI, in my opinion, has an amazing beam. I have read a bit about there being to much corona but I find it well done and defined as is the rest of the beam.

I have been out of town a bit lately have not had the chance to do much testing. Please remember I do not have pro testing gear. I go by the seat of my eyeballs with an older Canon G10 and a landscaping measuring tape as well as two cheap Targus tripods I got at W*l Mart.

Will try to post some DP pics this week. Size wise (talking reflector here) it is very close to my SRT6. It out throws the 6 by quite a margin, how much I do not really know. Will do what I can here as despite all the doom and gloom I have read about AT my two limited Pros showed up perfect and perform at a pretty high level. As I have also said before my new neighbor to one side of me is a young D.C. cop that has requested that I leave his property out of my flashaholism. Done and done. Any pics I post from here on out will be more or less quick trips to parks "taking my friends dogs for walks".

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update, CC.
ET advertises only 41,200 CD for the G25C2 with XP-L HI V3. Let's say ET under-reports that figure, and your sample has a dedomed XP-L, so its CD should be higher than stock anyways. Let's give your G25C2 sample a healthy margin to account for the results of these two conditions.
Assume the CD of the stock ET is actually 50,000 CD, and assume the output from your dedomed XP-L is 120% that of the stock XP-L HI V3. As CD scales roughly linearly with output, that's 1.2*50,000 CD=60,000 CD for your G25C2.
As your AT PP LE loses noticeably to the assumed 60,000 CD, I'm guessing it's only in the 50,000 CD range at best if not in only the high 40,000 CD range.

I, too, would have been more than satisfied with my lights had I not expected my samples to perform as advertised and had my Dobermann Pro not malfunctioned.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey scs!

You know what man I have poured over Cree data sheets until my mind nearly melted trying to figure out a few things more specifically and I believe you are likely totally correct. Wow still reading through these AT posts make me feel like I need to treat both my expensive limiteds like they are made of eggshells or they will burst into flames. My copies get used nightly or every other night along with 4-6 other lights I used on the job and still have yet to have the slightest hiccup. How did your dobermann fail? "Samples" as in you went through a couple copies of the Dobermann? Wow with what these things costs it keeps me up in the morning sometimes.

Must also note I am a big recent fan of the Sanyo/Panasonic 3500mah 10amp GA. Recently got over half a dozen Keeppower copies of these cells and totally dedicated a couple for the AT's. Got a couple copies in the freak ET as well. They have held their charge extremely well no matter what I put them in. As for the AT's I am still very highly impressed by both. I love how both came drowned in Nyogel 760G and I must also note are the very first lights I have ever bought that were so clean in terms of contact points nothing came off with the rubbing alcohol and Q-tip treatment I give all my new lights before I even turn them on.

Thinking of a DP XP-L HI competitor in my collection my XP-L HI ET T25C2 is the closest I have. That ET is a pleasure. Also has a more neutral tint than my DP. I wish I knew enough to know why the difference in tints a bit better. Man it seems you really got burned by your DP experience that sucks these things are expensive...

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
CC, I had 1 DP and 1 PP LE. The PP was returned shortly after purchase as it didn't perform to specs. The DP was returned after several weeks, when it turned on only in a dimmed mode with whine and PWM.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow! whine, PWM and loss of modes? ....anyways will be setting up for inside shots in a couple hours after all the 3500mah 10amp Keeppowers I have in everything charged up. Been using the DP all day actually and enjoying it. I am still at a loss at how AT defines the upgraded features for the LE Pros. The lack of model specific manuals being included with these expensive lights is maddening...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two basement (its raining) LE DP HI shots. Distance to the freshly painted white brick wall is just under seven feet.
One
IMG_00561_zps6ro6qwvw.jpg

Two
IMG_00561_zps6ro6qwvw.jpg

Will add outdoor shots over the next couple days. Note the DP's artifacts around the edge of the beam from the lights tall bezel.

rfl

Newly Enlightened
Must also note I am a big recent fan of the Sanyo/Panasonic 3500mah 10amp GA.

My Dobermann Pro LE HI had difficulty maintaining max output for any length of time when I was using my customary Eagletac batteries (which have always worked well in my other flashlights). I just recently bought some of the Sanyo/Panasonic 3500mah 10amp GA batteries mentioned above and the Dobermann Pro operates well with them.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
true! I have yet to use any other cell in my DP and it just cranks! Would be great if AT stepped in here and would confirm that the LE DP HI is indeed a 4 amp light or not. Going through the other AT threads I thought I read that the LE HI lights are 4 amp lights. Would explain a lot. Either way I am running 8 of the new 3500mah 10amp cells across 8 different lights and am very pleased. I have noticed I have not had any odd step down problems or problems getting into modes etc. using this cell in both my LE DP HI as well as my LE PP HI that I have read about...

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
true! I have yet to use any other cell in my DP and it just cranks! Would be great if AT stepped in here and would confirm that the LE DP HI is indeed a 4 amp light or not. Going through the other AT threads I thought I read that the LE HI lights are 4 amp lights. Would explain a lot. Either way I am running 8 of the new 3500mah 10amp cells across 8 different lights and am very pleased. I have noticed I have not had any odd step down problems or problems getting into modes etc. using this cell in both my LE DP HI as well as my LE PP HI that I have read about...

CC, if not too much trouble, please let us know how both lights behave with the head tightened, when the cells are too low to power the max mode. Does it turn on in one of the lower modes (despite the head being tightened) or some other mode perhaps with PWM and whine. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.