Documentry about the Blue Led:The blue LED was supposed to be impossible—until a young engineer (Shuji Nakamura) proposed a moonshot idea.

TL;DR:

Nakamura worked for Nichia, stubbornly sought to develop blue LED tech that would be bright enough to be practical and simple/cheap enough to be mass-produced. Against all odds, he built and customized his own oven/tool to revolutionize GaN crystal production that would make the blue LED possible and later, white LEDs. This enabled the world to have home LED lighting and really all modern applications of LED tech in our screens, monitors, TVs, etc.

Side note: He quit Nichia because they allegedly did not pay him for his breakthroughs and he (I think) ended up jumping to CREE. Nichia sued him for leaking company secrets, but he counter-sued for the company not compensating him. The court ruled in Nakamura's favor, but the award only covered his legal fees. So lawyers won, no one else.

Galane

Newly Enlightened
In USA they just used a blue filter on an incan light.
Still got green. An old microwave we had (it was of course new at the time) had very simple controls. A timer dial, a red button for cook, and a blue button for defrost. Both were illuminated and I remember being disappointed that the blue button turned green when lit up.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew the story about this, but recently watched it myself as well. Very fascinating! No one believed in him and he did it anyways!!
Guys like him should be everyone's heroes.
:)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL;DR:

Nakamura worked for Nichia, stubbornly sought to develop blue LED tech that would be bright enough to be practical and simple/cheap enough to be mass-produced. Against all odds, he built and customized his own oven/tool to revolutionize GaN crystal production that would make the blue LED possible and later, white LEDs. This enabled the world to have home LED lighting and really all modern applications of LED tech in our screens, monitors, TVs, etc.

Side note: He quit Nichia because they allegedly did not pay him for his breakthroughs and he (I think) ended up jumping to CREE. Nichia sued him for leaking company secrets, but he counter-sued for the company not compensating him. The court ruled in Nakamura's favor, but the award only covered his legal fees. So lawyers won, no one else.
Yep. And it was pretty sad how the people with Doctorates looked down on him.
:(