Does this light really put out 2000 lumens for $5.48 ?

rookieshiner

Newly Enlightened
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010NJMK96/?tag=cpf0b6-20 I cant find any reviews anywhere on net but I wonder? Also does it take the unprotected or protected 18650 batt? Doesn't say but I wonder if my Nitecore 18650's fit it but they are to big for 2 other lights I have!

Seems to good to be true and we all know what the saying about that is!

Thanks

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've come to the right place for flashlight feedback.......and here's a bit of it.

The light to which you've linked is supposedly has a Cree XP-E, which has a typical output in the neighborhood of 250 lumens. Even if that specification is wrong and it's got an XM-L with T6 bin, it still won't produce 2000 lumens.

CPF has a budget light section, but even still I doubt anybody here has any experience with the linked light. You state it's too good to be true, and that's certainly the case.

Last edited:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
In one word. NO!
First of all T6 is 'low' bin ( current bins are U and V). The maximum output for a T6 is on the order of 1000 lumens. Using XML2's in the U4 bin you can probably get to about 1500 lumens if you can supply enough power and adequate heat dissipation. That's the other problem. The upper limit on output of a standard ICR 18650 battery is about 13 watts. Overdriving reduces Lumens per watt, and the T6 isn't very competitive to start with and part of the reason it is so cheap is the T6 bin was considered obsolete 2 years ago. To get 2000 lumens you are probably going to need close to 25 watts including losses in the driver. While possible with a Hybrid or an IMR 18650, not possible with a ICR 18650. That leads to the problem #3. 25 Watts is a lot of heat to dissipate, and the flashlight has nowhere near adequate mass to do so, nor does it appear to have substantial 'fin' area to assist. My guess is you would be lucky to get 800 lumens out of that light. The early Sunwayman V60C used a XML-T6 with 3 18650's to get to about 750 lumens. If you want 2000 lumens you are going to need either MT-G2 or XHP50 emitter, and at least a pair of 18650's and considerably more than $5.48

Last edited:

Maverick86

Newly Enlightened
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010NJMK96/?tag=cpf0b6-20 I cant find any reviews anywhere on net but I wonder? Also does it take the unprotected or protected 18650 batt? Doesn't say but I wonder if my Nitecore 18650's fit it but they are to big for 2 other lights I have!

Seems to good to be true and we all know what the saying about that is!

Thanks

Hello,

That add is misleading from the get go, First it says Uses Cree t6 led as in XM-L then in description is says it uses Cree XP-E. But too be fair nether of the two led drivers will put out 2000lm, The XM-L max is 1040lm and the XP-E is 307lm looking at the footprint of that light it probably uses the XP-E. As for using your 18650s I have no idea if they would fit.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. In order to get 800 some lumens out of an XP-L2 in the TM11, Nitecore stated that it was driven with three amps. You won't get three amps out of a protected 18650, and it would gut an unprotected 18650 in short order. You could pull three amps from an IMR 18650, but you would still have the problems with heat dissipation, and still be at only 800 some lumens. You could reach the advertised lumens with three XP-L2s, put that would put you at nine amps from an IMR cell, and then you would really have a heat problem in that small of a light.

Ain't happenin. This belongs to the same fantasy land as the 10000 mAh ICR 18650 cell I saw advertised the other day.

Brlux

Enlightened
I have one that looks just like that one and it is probably 200Lm max. On that side of the world they like to throw an extra zero at the end of their specks.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
No, I have a 3000 lumin ebay light that if it puts out 100 lumins I would do a cartwheel.

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome:Of course i cant add anything, certainly NO is the answer, check out the brand convoy, various models to choose along with tints,drivers and more realistic outputs . These are a budget brand but can compete with the more expensive ones..........heck even surpass sometimes!!!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Budget flashlights are fun!

Unlike bottom-of-the-barrel batteries and chargers, which can actually be dangerous, most cheap flashlights are just fun. Sooner or later you have to try them! Of course, most of the time, you will find yourself resolving not to do it again! Why, you will ask, do I keep hoping that a sub-$10 light will turn out to be a good one!

That said, there are a number of good budget options in the $10 to $30 USD range. The Convoy S2+ is a tube light that is similar in form to the one you linked. The S2+ model with four 7135 chips, will output something like 500 lumens. It that regard, it is probably not unlike the cheapie you found. The difference is that the Convoy is a good build. If you shop around, you should be able to find the S2+ for around $15 USD. I do not own any Convoy flashlights.

Everyone needs a good C8 mini-thrower. Convoy, ThorFire, and XinTD all get good reviews. I own the ThorFire C8. It's a great light, but one goofy thing about it is its use of "on-time" memory. When you go to change modes, the first half-press does nothing. The light blinks off, and then turns back on in the same mode it was already in. The second and subsequent half-presses take you to different modes. Odd, indeed. I have seen the ThorFire C8 on sale for around $15 USD. The regular price is $21.

For around $25 USD (including shipping, tracking, and insurance), I recently purchased the Brinyte B158 zooming flashlight. It has a solid build, features a 50mm aspheric lens, and is mod-friendly. From what I have read, it is head and shoulders above the cheap zoomies you see all over Amazon and ebay, but it is still a budget light. The driver, for instance, is a little odd. To select modes, you have to use momentary presses while the flashlight is off. When you get to the mode you want, then you click all the way to turn it on. On the B158, you can swap pills simply by unscrewing one and screwing in another. I am hoping to build (or have built) a couple of alternate pills that contain better drivers and LEDs.

Last, but not least, don't forget about the custom flashlights being put together at BudgetLightForum. The BLF Special Edition A6 ($30 USD), the BLF 348 ($7 USD), and the BLF Special Edition D80 ($24 USD with tracking and insurance) all have something to offer. The upcoming BLF Limited Edition Kronos X6 and X5 flashlight set ($85 for a pair of stainless-steel and copper flashlights, or $45 for the same two lights in aluminum) is likely to be the best of all.

Of course, I, too, had to get one of those $1.99 SiPiK SK68 knock-offs. The one I have is supposed to have a 5500K, "neutral-white" Cree XP-E (Q5) emitter. Running on a Li-ion 14500, output is advertised as 400 lumens.

I don't know about all that, because I am powering mine on an Eneloop Pro. Running on that battery, one reviewer measured 40 lumens. I believe that. Compared to my 5000K BLF 348, which outputs 50 lumens, the SK68 clone is dimmer and a bluer. Frankly, none of this is much different than I expected.

The real bummer is the user interface. It has next-mode memory! Whatever mode is in use when you turn it off, the next time you turn it on, it switches to the next mode. As the mode sequence is Hi-Lo-Strobe, that means you get to see the blinky from time to time. Turn it off in low, and it wakes up in strobe!

Man, why did I think I would get a good flashlight for $1.99?!!

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the Cigar shape and design, then do what KIL suggested and get the BLF A6.
BA241945-4721-4FB3-8C14-4EFCD3FBB744_zpsqvodcnfv.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, the a6 is a nice light, great UI and comes naked too

If its shy, put some boxer shorts on it!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics from Str8stroke and ven!

I really like my BLF Special Edition A6 flashlights. I bought them just to have as inexpensive, backup household lights, but they have turned out to be much more than that. I frequently carry one of them in my daypack as a second EDC light. I keep a smaller AA flashlight in my pocket.

I got the short body tube, too. If you swap out the regular body tube, and replace it with a short tube, you can run the A6 using an 18350 battery. In this configuration, the A6 is substantially shorter, being both smaller and brighter than my ZebraLight SC62w.

The small lights look innocuous, but when I handed one to a non-flashaholic buddy, saying, "Check this out," he was blown away. "WOW. THIS IS BRIGHT!"

Somewhere between China and California, there are a couple of diffusers for the A6 that are making their way to me. I already bought holsters from Mountain Electronics. I also have some DC-Fix (sand) that I will try out on one of them. That's a window film that acts as a diffuser when applied to the lens of a flashlight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Somehow I knew this would turn into a blf thread.

At least that 2000 lumen light is under $20 now. Used to be they were $25, then $18, then $9...I guess now they try to fool the super-chincy since they ran out of chincey folks willing to pay $10.

Just go to Lowes and buy a $20 Lux-Pro. It's a better/brighter light with a great warranty.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Dont forget convoy bykfixer!!! :p m2

Recently found and been lost for over a year !!!! the s8

Not small, but fairly compact for an 18650(smaller than the m1/m2 but bigger then the s2)

Roche F8 is a good budget light too, still works and its took a good beating from this pic

rookieshiner

Newly Enlightened
Somehow I knew this would turn into a blf thread.

At least that 2000 lumen light is under $20 now. Used to be they were $25, then $18, then $9...I guess now they try to fool the super-chincy since they ran out of chincey folks willing to pay $10.

Just go to Lowes and buy a $20 Lux-Pro. It's a better/brighter light with a great warranty.

Well being new I don't know about this so I ask, but sadly many comp do make false claims and even many major brands are not clear on details, like my Nitecore P12 will do 1000 lumens with a 18650 batt but it doesn't say if that is with a 1800mah or 2300mah or a 3400mah?

I have 2 2300mah currently but will get a few 3400mah next week!

Thanks

ven

Flashaholic
Well being new I don't know about this so I ask, but sadly many comp do make false claims and even many major brands are not clear on details, like my Nitecore P12 will do 1000 lumens with a 18650 batt but it doesn't say if that is with a 1800mah or 2300mah or a 3400mah?

I have 2 2300mah currently but will get a few 3400mah next week!

Thanks

Also as with most single cell 18650 lights, most will not stay at 1000lm for much longer than a few minutes due to heat/mass.............soon drop down to a lower level...........then again to get their 1hr or 2hr run time claim!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light that outputs 1000 lumens from a protected 2200 mAh 18660 will output 1000 lumens from a 3400 mAh 18650. The mAh rating has nothing to do with how much energy it outputs. It is the specification of stored capacity.

ven

Flashaholic
A light that outputs 1000 lumens from a protected 2200 mAh 18660 will output 1000 lumens from a 3400 mAh 18650. The mAh rating has nothing to do with how much energy it outputs. It is the specification of stored capacity.

+1 , did not read/take in that part at all:eek:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the cell can put out enough current to drive the light, the capacity of a cell will not affect lumen output until it runs down. The variations in capacity you list will only affect the run time available.