Done with my novatac 120P looking for alternative

Charon

Newly Enlightened
I have gone through two novatac 120P flashlights. I love the functionality and size. But they have been too unreliable:thumbsdow I have two older units. One does not work at all, the other often does random actions such as turn off completely when being used, having to hit but button 10 times for it to actually turn on,changing modes without prompting, and even starting strobe as soon as it is turned on. I really wish they worked properly I'm just tired of dealing with broken novatac units.

But I have been out of the mix for a long time so looking for suggestions on a replacement.
I would really like to do the following.

1. LED
  2. use my current 120P leather belt holster, so a light of very similar size( 1" Diameter, 3.3" Long) a bit longer is fine
  3. Variable light levels
  4. Waterproof (or at least VERY water resistant)
  5. -optional- can use my titanium novatac bezel on it
  6. cost under $300
  7. 120 lumen or brighter

Any current standouts in the market that make a good replacement for the novatac?

fl0t

Enlightened
You definitely want to look into the HDS lights. They are LED (there are a few options for the LED nowadays), you can use your current novatac holster since they have same diameter, you have multiple modes programmable as much as you like, water/dust proof - IP67, 20m (66 feet) of water. You can get a good one for around $250-$300. Lumen output depends on the version and the emitter, but you are looking at 170-325 lumen range.

The novatac bezel does not work with the newer HDS lights.

IMO you cannot get a better light than that.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've still got my original 120P, although it's modded with a Nichia 219 now. It's been a great little light, but you know, I always found the runtime a bit low, so I started looking at lights that use the longer and higher capacity 18650 cell.

First I had a ZebraLight SC600 (actually, I still have 3), but now my EDC is the ZebraLight SC62. Heck, it's only a bit longer than the 120P, coming in at 3.75", and about the same diameter. However, it uses a side clicky switch instead of an tailcap switch, and while it's not quite as adjustable as the 120P, it does have 11 well spaced and easily accessible light levels, from .01 to nearly 1000 lumens, and VASTLY more runtime.

If, however, you want something much more like the 120P, then yes, the HDS is a GREAT light, and actually is what the NovaTac 120P should have been all along. I'd have one now if it came in an 18650 flavor.