Dorcy 1 Watt Metal Gear LED Head Light

Niteowl

Enlightened
I have here Dorcy's Metal Gear 1w LED 41-2091 supplied by Jamie at Dorcy International. In addition to the 1w luxeon, it also has a red 3mm LED. Powered by three "AAA" batteries. MSRP is $19.99-$24.99.
000_1517.jpg

The mounting strap system is secure with one running over the head. The head pivots with eight positions totaling aproximately 170 degrees, more than enough. Operation is with a "reverse" clicky under a gray rubber cover. Push down completely and release to turn on the 1w function, repeat to turn off the 1w and turn on the red 3mm LED. One more cycle turns it off completely. It took some practice to use the switch as it is stiff and requires careful positioning of the fingertip.
000_1542.jpg

As for the Metal Gear designation, the bezel appears to be the only aluminum body part. It is press fit and covers the threaded plastic lens. An o-ring seals the assembly. The two-piece plastic body is split down the middle, presumably glued as I saw no screws. One plastic end cap is permanently attached the other unscrews for battery access. The small red LED recessed into the plastic reflector does not seem to affect the 1w's beam much.
000_1541.jpg

Removing the one endcap reveals the battery compartment, placement is rather straight-forward, molded dividers work nicely. Care should be used replacing cap as it cross threaded easily.
000_1544.jpg

Output

The Dorcy has a hotspot about two feet and a nice even spill about 12 feet wide at nine feet. Tint was on the warm side, like my EOS. The beam was a little uneven with the emitter being off-center. For comparison is a PT EOS with about the same size hotspot but a six foot spill. The red LED had about a sixteen inch spread at arms lenght. I found it to be useful at close range with a reasonbly smooth pattern. The pics are on the dark side for the spill.

Dorcy Metal Gear
000_1608.jpg

PT EOS
000_1607.jpg

The 3mm red LED in action.
000_1609.jpg

Overall I like this headlamp and regret promising it to a fishing buddy of mine. I sat on this review a little long as Cree and Seoul powered lights have been all the rage lately. However, I think this is a good light for the masses and would recommend it.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

I have two lights that take 3 AAA's and i hate them both.
I find that the AAA's run down too fast, and so i prefer AA lights, even
if it takes more of them. I have a 4 AA headlight and it's a little heavier
but at least i get decent run time out of it.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Looks like a great light.

I'm also on the "hate 3-AAA format" bandwagon.

If someone would come out with the same thing in a single AA format, I'd be all over it.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing about AAAs is their considerably lower power capacity. With that said, I have seen many 3AAA flashlights that have useful output for 2hrs or a little more. That's not bad. A lot of CR123 flashlights will run for about an hour or bit more. While I don't hate the 3AAA format like a lot of people, I don't think it's that bad either. And besides, a 3AAA flashlight would be too big to carry in my opinion. I'm sure guys understand why the format exists. 3AAA flashlights are generally inexpensive because 3 cells can direct drive the LEDs without the need for step-up circuitry.