Dorcy 70 Lumen MG500

Sovende

Newly Enlightened
I was cruisin' the aisles of an independent yet massive hardware store in Boulder CO (McGuckins) and spotted a flashlight that piqued my interest (mainly the clearance price of $4.99 !). Original price was ~$15. Nothing else was spectacular about it but still not too bad. 70 lumen output, 4 1/2hr run time, 130 meter throw, 1 meter drop resistance and some degree of water resistance too. No frills tho, single function on/off button on the tail cap, non-adjustable beam and no lanyard but it does have a metal pocket clip 🙂. I figured that for $5 how bad could it be? Definitely a "Budget Light" ! Also, some "no name" AAA alkalines were included.
Before opening the package I tried to do some basic internet research and was surprised to find little if any information about this light. Even the Dorcy website doesn't mention it. Some sellers were listed on Amazon, WalMart, etc. but no reviews or question. It's a "ghost light" 🤔. Again, for $5 I didn't want to deal with returning it so out of the package it came. The primary aluminum alloy construction seemed OK fit/finish wise and the lens was crystal clear. Loaded the batteries into the carrier, inserted it and secured the tail cap. Pushed the button and yup, the light came on. Already, I'm ahead of the game 😉. It was daytime so I still had to wait until evening for the real test. After Sunset went for a walk. I'm not a flashlight expert but I will say I'm not disappointed with the performance of this Dorcy light! The packaging says the light has a "TrueSpot" (Reg Trademark) reflector which must account for the center bright spot as well as the flood quality of the beam. I can't say for sure that the beam throw is 130 meters but it's at least 100. Not blindingly bright but certainly adequate.
So, overall I'm impressed with the performance to cost ratio. To be sure, I'd be less impressed if I had paid full price 😉 ($15 at the store and >$30 online). I'm going to use it to replace my ultra cheesy multi LED, AAAx3 light that I generally keep in my carry on bag when traveling. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with light?
Sovende

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Even bad flashlights aint bad these days.

I've no experience with this particular light, but have found that for general use around the house purposes some of the dime store cheapies by Dorcy, Rayovac and Energizer aint half bad. I keep them around for the runtimes since so many lights have gone max bright and end up with short runtimes when in reality 50 or so lumens is plenty for most uses. And if they fail you are out less cost than a combo meal at most fast food restaraunts.

Last edited:

Sovende

Newly Enlightened
Putting potential shortcomings aside, I'm a bit disappointed in the absence of a lanyard/wrist strap or at least an attachment point 🙁. The belt clip is fine for carrying it but I really like having a wrist strap to minimize the potential for having the light tumble into an inaccessible place if I lose my grip on it. I know that others have drilled holes in the tailcap for an attachment point but I'm not so sure the tailcap on this one has enough "meat" to allow me to do so. Hopefully, I'll be able to come up wit a suitable solution. Other than that the only thing I'm going to do to this light will be to upgrade the battery situation. Either some quality Ni-MH rechargeables or perhaps some Li-ion primaries.

BTW, I was wrong about the included batteries being "no name". Upon closer inspection, I see that they are "Dorcy" branded MasterCells. Probably not top of the line😉.
Sovende

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have found the some 3aaa carrier lights can also run off an 18500 LifePo4 solar lamp battery.

To drill it try a 1/8" bit straight down near the edge, about 1/8" deep, then on the side do same to end up with a right angle hole. Then a toothpick or dental pick to push the wrist strap into one side and "pluck" it out the other side.
Doing that with a number of lights I have yet to "poke through" any tail caps.

Some use paracord wrapped around the body as a strap grabber.

Sovende

Newly Enlightened
I have found the some 3aaa carrier lights can also run off an 18500 LifePo4 solar lamp battery.

To drill it try a 1/8" bit straight down near the edge, about 1/8" deep, then on the side do same to end up with a right angle hole. Then a toothpick or dental pick to push the wrist strap into one side and "pluck" it out the other side.
Doing that with a number of lights I have yet to "poke through" any tail caps.

Some use paracord wrapped around the body as a strap grabber.

The AAAx3 carrier is just under 54mm in overall length. I would have to add a spacer to the (-) end to ensure solid contact. That is a potential option tho😎.
RE: drilling the intersecting holes in the tailcap, I'm not so sure that there is enough room for either of the perpendicular drillings using an 1/8" bit 🤔. However the paracord option is the one I think will work 🙂. Thanks for the tips!
Sovende