• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Downboy 1400mA

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the downboy be set to output 1400mA? I want to use this in an aleph2 with one of those 140 lumen red Lux-III.

Jeff

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done 1.5A and didn't have any immediate problems, although I can't comment on the long term effects. The emitter was a UWOK and it was insanely, ungodly bright. This particular emitter was a very good performer and this light engine in a custom head with a McR27 reflector had a more intense hotspot than a TWOJ running at 1A in an Aleph III head, with a 38mm reflector.

If you want to go for 1.4A, you can try two .1 ohm resistors in parallel on one set of pads and a .12 ohm resistor on the other set of pads. This should get you close to your target bias.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a DB1500 and it's doing a great job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
Chop,

I do have a DB1000 that I want to mod to 1.4A - which pads are you refering to? Any photos/diagrams to make sure I change the right parts?

Thanks,

Will

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles,

If you look at the downboy (you might want to use a magnifying glass), you'll see two identical, tiny (0603 size) resistors sitting parallel to each other. If it is indeed a DB1000, each should be labeled with a ".10." All you need to do is to solder an additional .12 ohm resistor on top of one of these resistors (running it in parallel to the existing one). This should get you right about where you want to be. If you want to go a bit on the conservative side, you could use a .15 ohm resistor.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles,

If you look at the downboy (you might want to use a magnifying glass), you'll see two identical, tiny (0603 size) resistors sitting parallel to each other. If it is indeed a DB1000, each should be labeled with a ".10." All you need to do is to solder an additional .12 ohm resistor on top of one of these resistors (running it in parallel to the existing one). This should get you right about where you want to be. If you want to go a bit on the conservative side, you could use a .15 ohm resistor.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Tony,

Yes, I found the two .10 resistors as you predicted. Cool - now I know what to change. Thanks much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will