Eagletac MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70 (2x32650) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS and more!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Re: Eagletac MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70 (2x32650) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS and...

Great review again! I'm curious how the SBT 70 would compare to an XML2 U2? I know the SBT 70 puts out more light but they don't seem that far off right? The new TN31 is putting out close to 1,300 lumens - I would imagine if it was driven to 3.5 amps it would put out approximately the same 1450 lumens.
If that was the case which do you think would throw farther? Is the XML significantly more efficient?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eagletac MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70 (2x32650) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS and...

Great review again! I'm curious how the SBT 70 would compare to an XML2 U2? I know the SBT 70 puts out more light but they don't seem that far off right? The new TN31 is putting out close to 1,300 lumens - I would imagine if it was driven to 3.5 amps it would put out approximately the same 1450 lumens.
If that was the case which do you think would throw farther? Is the XML significantly more efficient?

The SBT 70 comes from the factory without a dome. If all else was equal and the XM-L2 would be de-domed it should out throw this emitter. Vihnguyen54 has modded lights such as Thrunite TN31 and Supbeam K40 with de-domed XM-L2 emitters direct on copper. He has also overdriven them since the extra heat is shed away faster and some of those have measured between 400,000-500,000 candela by fellow CPFers.

357mag1

Enlightened

So if I'm reading your review correctly the MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70 will only slightly out throw the Olight SR-95S UT for the first 200 seconds then it steps down and the Olight is still at max.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

So if I'm reading your review correctly the MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70 will only slightly out throw the Olight SR-95S UT for the first 200 seconds then it steps down and the Olight is still at max.
Yes.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

The SBT 70 comes from the factory without a dome. If all else was equal and the XM-L2 would be de-domed it should out throw this emitter. Vihnguyen54 has modded lights such as Thrunite TN31 and Supbeam K40 with de-domed XM-L2 emitters direct on copper. He has also overdriven them since the extra heat is shed away faster and some of those have measured between 400,000-500,000 candela by fellow CPFers.

Thanks for that Mr. Tone. It seems with dedoming XML's they get close to double the cd. I did see Vins 5-600K lux TN31's. Those are dedomed and about 1600 OTF driven at 6 amps? So it would seem the throw of a SBT 70 and a domed XML2 would be pretty close to on par in say the same size reflector both putting out 1000 lumens? Does that sound right?

But doesn't a XML have a serious advantage when it comes to efficiency as in nearly 2x the run time at the same lumens? Then of course the SBT 70 has got more output when both are driven at the max and I suppose if an XML can be overdriven to match it well then the SBT 70 could also be overdriven?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

You should be able to take the relative difference between the SST90 turbo and the SBT70 turbo to estimate the lux. The difference is approx 1.8 times more candela with the SBT70 vs SST90 turbo heads. So since the SST90 regular head was 74,000 candela the SBT70 should be somewhere around 130,000 candela with the regular head. So there you have it, a light similar in size to a 2D Maglite beating the Olight SR90.

Anyone by chance have a picture with the regular head next to a 2D mag light for size comparison?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for that Mr. Tone. It seems with dedoming XML's they get close to double the cd. I did see Vins 5-600K lux TN31's. Those are dedomed and about 1600 OTF driven at 6 amps? So it would seem the throw of a SBT 70 and a domed XML2 would be pretty close to on par in say the same size reflector both putting out 1000 lumens? Does that sound right?

But doesn't a XML have a serious advantage when it comes to efficiency as in nearly 2x the run time at the same lumens? Then of course the SBT 70 has got more output when both are driven at the max and I suppose if an XML can be overdriven to match it well then the SBT 70 could also be overdriven?

I do not know if enough about the SBT70 to answer your questions vs. XM-L and XM-L2. I think I know of a thread where it was discussed, though. If I can find it I will link it for you.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know of a pic anywhere but here are the direct size comparisons from the manufacturer's specs.

Eagletac MX25L2-regular head
Head Dia.2.4 inches (62 mm)
Body Dia.1.4 inches (37 mm)
Length:10.5 inches (267 mm)
Weight:25.7 ounces (730 grams) with battery pack

MAGLITE® LED 2-Cell D Flashlight Specifications:
Length: 10" (254 mm)
Barrel Diameter: 1-9/16" (39.67 mm)
Head Diameter: 2-1/4" (57.00 mm)
Weight with batteries: 23 oz. (674 g)

Last edited:

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened
Having both MX25L2 Turbo SB-T70 and SR95S UT, I can say that it's a slight advantage for Eagletac in words of throwing. I noticed that MX25L2 turbo head has a little bit deeper and smother reflector than SR95S UT. The beam pattern of MX25L2 is very different than R95S UT (in my samples). While, at a closer distance the spot of MX252 is a little bit larger and less bright than SR95S UT ones, at a high distance the situation is changing. MX25L2's spot is very well focused and seems to be brighter and narrower than SR95S UT. In other words, at high distances (hundred meters) I found that transition from spot to spill is more uniform at SR5S UT than MX25L2 which has a better focused spot. Clearly MX25L2 Turbo is focusing better at higher dstances than SR95S UT due to a deeper and smoother reflector. Obviously both are outstanding throwers and I am happy using them.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having both MX25L2 Turbo SB-T70 and SR95S UT, I can say that it's a slight advantage for Eagletac in words of throwing. I noticed that MX25L2 turbo head has a little bit deeper and smother reflector than SR95S UT. The beam pattern of MX25L2 is very different than R95S UT (in my samples). While, at a closer distance the spot of MX252 is a little bit larger and less bright than SR95S UT ones, at a high distance the situation is changing. MX25L2's spot is very well focused and seems to be brighter and narrower than SR95S UT. In other words, at high distances (hundred meters) I found that transition from spot to spill is more uniform at SR5S UT than MX25L2 which has a better focused spot. Clearly MX25L2 Turbo is focusing better at higher dstances than SR95S UT due to a deeper and smoother reflector. Obviously both are outstanding throwers and I am happy using them.

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt,

The ultimate throwking of the led flashlights, is the nitecore TM36, i have...its fantastic....over 1100 meters of throw.

Alot are waiting, until you do a review of the TM36.

Hope you do that soon.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt,

1 You have tested this light, at 280 kcd....280000 cd,

Does this light with this intensity, blind a person, within short-moderate distance=

2 Can it light up a bit, things at 800 meters distance.

3 Does a treeline at 300, and at 1000 meters, very well lit up, with this 280 kcd...280000 cd light.

4 Is this 280000 cd light, at night, and at afternoon, at a clear night, and at a totally overcast afternoon autumm-winter day, clearly visible, when somebody pointed at me, at a short-moderate, or even at a long distance,

Hope this light is still available.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt, can you react on my posts , if you have time for it, off course.

Thank you very much.

Or are you not on the forum for days now.

Remco

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Or are you not on the forum for days now.
Yes, I was away for the past week.

In response to your questions, there is not much I can say. Beam intensity measures are simply are an arbitrary standard for reporting and comparing lights. How well it actually lights things up in various environmental conditions at various distances (or how subjectively "blinding" it is) is not something anyone can answer. It's a question of opinion, and I can't say I have one. The numbers simply give you a way to compare to other lights you have experience of.

November 2017 and this Luminus SBT-70 thrower is still very useful and very powerful. I was picking my Mom up at the mall curbside because she can't walk far. It was like Times Square very busy with tons of cars waiting to drop off and pick up (Valet area). I pulled the Eagtac MX25L4T (4x18650 version) from my glove compartment and even under all that stress, car headlights up the wazoo, and I was able to easily feel the rubber switch and used momentary for a turbo blast to signal my Mom. She is someone who can't tell if a Boeing 747 is shining its landing lights at her. But this worked flawlessly and she saw my car and came over (three lanes of heavy mall car traffic over). Great flashlight easy to use powerful enough even in the November of 2017!