Eagletac MX25L3C Compact (6xNichia 219 3x18650/6xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Selfbuilt,

Two days ago I received MX25L3 Nichia 219. Very nice light. It feels good in the hand and while the knurling could be more aggressive the excavations in the body helps with the grip. Mode selection by turning the head works properly and feels smooth and fine. I got the light at a sale because it's discontinued and has been replaced by MX30L4XC. The successor uses 4 cells instead of 3 and is brighter. But it's also much more floodier with much less throw despite much higher output. And because I already have several set ups of three 18650s and none 4x18650 I found it a good choice. The tint is as expected very pleasant for the eyes. It looks pretty cool with the 6 reflectors, leads my thoughts to the rocket nozzles of the Saturn 5 rocket, just one more nozzle...

But I have thought about the color rendition: it's good but I have really hard to see much improvement compared to Zebralight SC5w I got with the same package.
And I recall this is in line with my earlier experience. The distinction between good and bad color rendition usually is not between "high CRI" and the other LEDs, but between high CRI/warm/neutral and cool.
It's the cool white which really separates itself from the other. Warmer tints usually provide a color rendition close to for example Nichia 219, despite they are not classified as high CRI. This often is the case at least according to my personal perception.
And I belong to the group of flashlight users who really find it more than worth to sacrifice some degree of output for getting a comfortable and pleasant tint for the eyes!

Conclusion: MX25L3 Nichia 219 is a new great addition to my flashlight collection/selection.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I got the light at a sale because it's discontinued and has been replaced by MX30L4XC.
Actually Swedpat, the MX25L3C has its newer rendition as the MX30L3C, basically the same light, but with 2 switches. Pretty nice especially if Eagletac ever decides to get serious with the simple and marketed feature of battery/voltage status. (white switch illuminates to indicate)

starryalley

Newly Enlightened
Just got this light on sale too and it's fabulous. Thanks a lot for the consistently very good review which makes me purchase all my lights! This is the second Nichia light I got (the previous one is Eagletac D25LC2) and it will be used during my camping/hiking trips when searching for owls or other interesting things to look at night!

This is also my fourth high CRI light. (the other 2 being FourSevens mini MA, Zebralight H502d). I'll definitely make my next light a high CRI one!

markr6

Flashaholic
Just got this light on sale too and it's fabulous. Thanks a lot for the consistently very good review which makes me purchase all my lights! This is the second Nichia light I got (the previous one is Eagletac D25LC2) and it will be used during my camping/hiking trips when searching for owls or other interesting things to look at night!

This is also my fourth high CRI light. (the other 2 being FourSevens mini MA, Zebralight H502d). I'll definitely make my next light a high CRI one!

Glad you like it. It's one of my favorites. They tried to "update" it with the MX30L3C, but IMO failed. The dual button design was a good idea, but the back button is nearly flush with the body and hard to press. The MX25 is much, much easier! Great price on sale too.