Easy Maglite P7 Modification!

jayrob

Enlightened
Also, check out my new Maglite 2 D Monster build kits with FlexModP3! (and others) Awesome!

Mag%20D%20small.jpg

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-large-maglite-monster-kits-flexmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

I bought a drop in reflector/heatsink/driver/P7 module from DX and fit it into a 2D Maglite...

Mag%20P7%201.jpg

I'm using 2 X 5000mAh 32600 Li-Ion batteries for this bad boy.

Here's the P7 module:

DealExtreme: $22.28 SSC P7-C 2800mA LED Module with Copper Base (3.6V~8.4V)

Here's the batteries:

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductID=2708

Here's the charger you want for these large batteries:

Ultrafire WF-188 Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 / RCR123 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger

Details of this easy modification are shown in this 'picture tutorial'...

Switch removal and modification:

The switch needs to be removed. Then cut the center post that holds the stock bulb short.

Then solder on lead wires as shown in the pictures.

Mag%20P7%202.jpg

Mag%20P7%203.jpg

Mag%20P7%204.jpg

Mag%20P7%205.jpg

Fitting the reflector:

The reflector fits, but it sits a little higher than the stock reflector, so it would leave a gap between the retaining ring/bezel of the host, and the head unless some modification is done...

Mag%20P7%206.jpg

Mag%20P7%207.jpg

Mag%20P7%2011.jpg

Battery prep:

Mag%20Stub%2014.jpg

Tail cap mod:

I modified the tail cap spring just because I wanted it to fit the 32600 Li-Ion batteries better. The stock spring position was a little too tight. Plus, this tail cap mod will also fit 32650's if you end up getting those...

Mag%20P7%209.jpg

Mag%20P7%2010.jpg

Final assembly:

That's pretty much it! Then just put it together...

Mag%20P7%208.jpg

Mag%20P7%2012.jpg

Mag%20P7%2013.jpg

Current Draw:

* 1360mA's - Estimated run time between charges: 3 1/2 hours...

I was expecting twice the current draw, but I'm happy! :)

This P7 gives a much better throw than my two other P7 flashlights, with less current draw! (1360mA's)

Also, it is noticeably brighter than my 2 X 18650 P7 build which is drawing 2.6 Amps.

This has me scratching my head...

I must have gotten a very efficient P7 emitter or something. What ever the case, it's much better for me!

A brighter light, with much longer run time between charges! :D

Hope you like it! I know I do...

Take a look at my XM-L T6 Maglite 'Stubby' (cut down to fit a single 32600) here! It shows a couple of different emitters used actually, but the XM-L T6 emitters have been ordered. Drivers too. So it will be updated soon!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=305195

2watt

Newly Enlightened
I just finished this mod. and what can I say but WOW!!!!! awsome amout of light!! thank you for posting this! I do have a couple questions:
I got the wf 188 charger but I don't know which charge rate to use. 300mah or 650 mah?
It should be on 3.7v right?
and last question is what voltage should the cells be when fully charged?
thank you very much! I am so excited about my first flashlight build!!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Considering the high capacity of these batteries, the 650mAh setting seems most appropriate - too low a charge rate for a given battery capacity can lead to failure to terminate and overcharging.

Yes, you should use the 3.7 volt setting.

Peak voltage at the end of charging should be 4.20 volts.

2watt

Newly Enlightened
thank you!! I figured the batteries would need to be charged when I got them. but the charger kept turning on the green light like they were full. 3.8v. maybe I wasn't getting a good connection or something. I'll try again on the higher charge rate. thanks again!!

pinetree89

Enlightened
Just a word of warning, be careful soldering on those batteries. I once made the mistake of attempting to solder some small wires on a lithium button cell. (2032 I think) The battery literally exploded and sounded like a small firecracker, scattering debris everywhere.

Those cells are probably big enough to handle the extra heat, but I'd hate to see the explosion one of those would make if it went critical or vented.

Nice mod! I may have to get my feet wet rehabing these old incan mag lites i have laying around.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Voltage wise, that would work - the OP states that the LED module's voltage operating range is from 3.6 to 8.4 volts, so no problem there. However, are you sure that you mean to use the 1/2D battery pack in a 3C Maglite? The 1/2D cells are shorter than D cells, but still the same width - as such, the cells would be too wide to go in a MagC body tube.

wfswonecpf

Newly Enlightened
Could this be run using just 3 d batteries? I bought this drop-in and did the basic mod, and not getting anything working. While I am new at this, this isn't my first mod. I have done 4 other easy mods before this, where I switched out Luxeon stars for P4 and added drivers. This seems a pretty straightforward mod as my others were, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

alindauer

Newly Enlightened
As a novice, how hard would this be to complete? I am looking into getting a better flashlight for tracking deer at night and this seems to be bright enough.