eBay LED Light Bar, 30 incher. The stock 60 LED's to 60 Cree XP-G?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked this up for $2.99US free ship. I will see if that will work as a LED Driver for 8 Cree XP-G's. It has 3 adjusty thingy's on the board, maybe one for current?

Hope it comes with a datasheet of some kind. The description on the site seemed to indicate that's what one of the pots (potentiometers) was for, but a good datasheet will make everything easier for you (even if it's as easy as "Nope, doesn't do that function.")

Seems like DIWdiver and alpg88 have some experience here and can probably help save you a car fire or some other problem. Good luck!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked this up for $2.99US free ship. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351197902638 (Won it on bid) I will see if that will work as a LED Driver for 8 Cree XP-G's. It has 3 adjusty thingy's on the board, maybe one for current?

it will work as a driver, just do not go over rated wattage, thou since no data on this board available, no way to know what rated wattage is, but i'd limit load to 15W.
since it is a buck, i would not run more than 3 leds in series, you can power 12 leds with one, 3s4p set current and voltage to max. 5A will be spread between 4 leds, so you should not have overload, (unless one blows and load will be spread between the rest of the leds in one string, but when you use good quality leds, it does not happen often), voltage will be automatically adjusted by the driver, it should be in 9-10v range.
it is a pretty sraightforward set up, 60 leds, 12 per driver, you 'll need 5 drivers.

pots marked cv is voltage, cc is current, and the third one is.... honestly i have no clue what they meant by "led" sign next to third, in mine it controls CV stage in charging mode, but i never adjust it. i would guess it does same thing in yours, but not 100% sure, however when in driver or dc-dc converter mode, you do not need to touch it.

Last edited:

sherwind2010

Newly Enlightened
it will work as a driver, just do not go over rated wattage, thou since no data on this board available, no way to know what rated wattage is, but i'd limit load to 15W.
since it is a buck, i would not run more than 3 leds in series, you can power 12 leds with one, 3s4p set current and voltage to max. 5A will be spread between 4 leds, so you should not have overload, (unless one blows and load will be spread between the rest of the leds in one string, but when you use good quality leds, it does not happen often), voltage will be automatically adjusted by the driver, it should be in 9-10v range.
it is a pretty sraightforward set up, 60 leds, 12 per driver, you 'll need 5 drivers.

pots marked cv is voltage, cc is current, and the third one is.... honestly i have no clue what they meant by "led" sign next to third, in mine it controls CV stage in charging mode, but i never adjust it. i would guess it does same thing in yours, but not 100% sure, however when in driver or dc-dc converter mode, you do not need to touch it.

the LED pot maybe something to do with the LED by it... Maybe light up when charge is done XD IDK. I asked the sell what it was for, slim chance they would know but can hurt to ask. Waiting on reply.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LED pot maybe something to do with the LED by it... Maybe light up when charge is done XD IDK. I asked the sell what it was for, slim chance they would know but can hurt to ask. Waiting on reply.
It could just mean the board has power. It might switch color to red if it's overloaded or something. Hopefully they respond with accurate information.

I look at these things and figure that the people who buy them know exactly WHY they're buying them and exactly how to use them, but they should still come with at least an overview of features and any warnings.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I picked this up for $2.99US free ship. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351197902638 (Won it on bid) I will see if that will work as a LED Driver for 8 Cree XP-G's. It has 3 adjusty thingy's on the board, maybe one for current?

I have one of these in a floodlight I built/modified. 6* XML2 in a series/parallel config, driven at up to 2.5A per led. Estimated at 5000 lumens. It (surprisingly) works at rated load without getting too hot (~60 on the heatsink) I connected it up to a load resistor and ran it at full whack for a few hours when I first got it.

The LED trimpot adjusts the load current at which the LED changes from Red to Green.

You can also get buck/boost versions. If I were to do a bigger light from scratch (and I might) I'd have a string of 8 LEDs, driven at 3A off one of those modules.

sherwind2010

Newly Enlightened
The LED trimpot adjusts the load current at which the LED changes from Red to Green.

I got a reply back from seller. LED POT set a threshold. When the output current is higher than the current, the indicator lights shows red, when the output current is less than the current indicator shows green.

I'm still wondering. You can set max Amps with CC pot? I'm guessing I wouldn't need that led pot for what im going to be using it for.

Last edited:

sherwind2010

Newly Enlightened
Flat Surface Clear Lens made for the XP-G LED's, Got 30° looks more like 15° a big plus! It starts showing the LED at 30° & full frame at 15° NICE!!

9yDd0GI.jpg

CkHk8jr.jpg

ZUBEk1Q.jpg

sherwind2010

Newly Enlightened
I got one CCr in the mail, But not working like i hoped. I played around with it for 10min, I only can get 3V well supplying it with 14v. The Amp draw moves around, some LED flickering too. I got it to output 2.2A. maybe something wrong with it or maybe it is for charging or something. I got others on the way that I can compare it too.

PS: I got a 2nd one in the mail that is working better, but still not what I was expecting. [email protected] running a Cree XLamp XM-L T6 led

Ou9xtZV.jpg

Last edited:

sherwind2010

Newly Enlightened
This project been on the far back burner for awhile now, I started thinking about it again. Well this DC 12V~24V Step-up To DC 36V=4A from eBay might do the trick, need 2 of them. wire 10 LEDs together, & 10 banks to make 288W of LED power. Only if I can get that same DC/DC in 3A I could get 3 of them to make full output 324W of LED power.