EDC for small farm use

tarrow

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am new to the world of sophisticated flashlights and am looking for a light that I can use walking to the barn at night, with a low mode that wont alarm my chickens to much.

I live in a wooded area and frequently must use my lights in the woods to bring my dogs in if they run too far away and to scan for predators like mink and fox near my henhouses.

I currently have a 4sevens preon that is reliable but not bright enough and does not throw far enough. I also enjoy walking in the woods at night looking for fox, coyote, racoons etc. I am not a hunter but just like searching out wildlife at night.

The light must be rechargeable and standard battery rechargeables are nice as I already have them but I am not averse to any rechargeable flashlight.

My price limit is around 100 bucks total for right now but I have a feeling I will be getting another light in about a year if my interest continues and as I learn more.

I come to the flashlight world from the custom knife world where I have collected midpriced customs from small makers for a few years and have also forged and ground out a few blades myself. This is my first real post on this forum and I thank you in advance for your help.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too live on a small farm(now unused but the old buildings are here).Near enough any decent torch will suit your needs.Last night i was out with my Fenix PD32 to check in the old barn for the owl that lives in there,usually i use my Fenix LD10 but really any will do.

Racer

Enlightened
I would think the V11R is right up your alley. You can dial down to low-low to be courteous to other life forms, and dial it up to UFO encounter levels with a flick of the wrist if you need more light, and anywhere in between. I don't have a farm, but I do have a rather large property and it's nice using the low mode most of the time and lighting up the property if something goes bump in the night. It's a great user interface.

BillD

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

If I were you, I would be looking for a light with a good balance of flood & throw, with at least a high and low mode. I don't think what you are looking to do with this light really calls for a small EDC light, but something larger that can still be easily carried when you are out in the woods.

I have quite a few lights around my house of various sizes and shapes and the one I would recommend for your purpose is the Skyray King. This 3 XM-L light runs on 4 18650 rechargeable batteries, and has a cost of about $42 - $55 depending on where you buy it. It offers high & low modes, and it will light up quite a large area if you need it to. You can buy the light and 4 18650 size Panasonic 3400mah rechargeable batteries for about $80 from fasttech.com and be within your $100 price limit. I use this light around my wooded property almost every night and it does a great job of illuminating the area. It can also serve as an excellent emergency light when used on low mode with a diffuser.

Good luck with your decision.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore Ea4 runs on 4 AA, you can use Nimh rechargeables in it. 860 lumen high and a 60 lumen low. 20k lux, so it'd do the trick.

for something smaller the Eagletac D25A2 with xpg2 has a throwy beam for its size and runs on 2aa.

i just ordered the Thrunite Archer 2aa, because it has the xpg2 and I've owned it's predecessor the Nuetron and loved it

gilly

Enlightened
The Fenix LD41 might be a better option. It has a nice low mode of 5 lumens which wouldn't disturb your chickens. The high mode is great for reaching out and checking out the wildlife. Runs on four AA batteries.

Last edited:

tarrow

Newly Enlightened
Thank you friends for all your assistance. So many good options. I will let you know what I end up getting and how it works for me. Glad to be a part of this forum.

ecoloco

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I"m a cattleman/farmer to.

About 4 months ago I get a Fenix tk22 for a 100$ with 2x18650, charger and free shipping.

That it's your budget exactly.

I really recommend it for an all around light at farm, with 9 lumens on low - 650 on turbo, with nice spill due to the op.

A great flashlight and not that big to carry around.

Good luck!

tarrow

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up getting a nitecore ea8. I didnt realize when I posted my request for a reccomendation that EDC implied a small flashlight. I just wanted a flashlight for every day use on a small farm with chickens, a few pigs etc. Our farm is surrounded by about 200 acres of other fields and also quite a bit of woodland in the smallest Canadian province between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. We have coyotes, fox rabbit and skunk that routinely pick off our chickens in the day or at night. I went for the ea8 because I was seduced by lumen fever and because it was on sale at a CDN store. Anyway I loved it. I like that it is substantially sized as I am often wearing gloves and have overly large hands. I do not really need the highest setting often but it does come in handy when I spot something in the distance a few fields over.It is also useful for letting my jack russells know that I can see them and that it is not a good time to run yipping into the night. It was important for me to also have alight that took aa batteries as I have a bucket of rechargeable AA batteries anyway. So just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations and I expect this whole flashlight experience to become a regular habit if not addiction.

Glock 22

Enlightened
There is alot out there to choose from. Just to name a few the Surefire E1B 110 lumens, Surefire Fury 500 lumens, the Malkoff MDC SHO 300 lumens, all these are great lights and there all within your budget.

dna89

Newly Enlightened
I recently received one of these & really like it. It doesn't use standard batteries. It's a bit longer than a Solarforce but with LOTS of throw.
The Crelant 7G2cs
sbi0.jpg