EDC messenger bag

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that's an awesome idea. Never even thought to try something like that.

Yeah, plus the Hydrant bag and the couple pouches will have MOLLE straps built-in (don't care for speed clips) so I could incorporate all of it onto a 5.11 Rush 12 backpack I have if need be.

Now if the bag would actually get here. Last I saw it was delayed in the shipping process in CO due to bad weather.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
More like guys who know what they need, and realize that pants pockets won't be enough to carry those items.

So, they have two choices. One, get a pock-organizer or bag to carry what they need. Or, walk around without those items; and be completely unprepared to make it through their day thus feeling like an idiot. But, not having small-minded strangers think less of them. It's like having that one guy on your team during a pick-up game of basketball. The guy who would rather lose, but look good doing it; instead of hustling out there and breaking a sweat in order to win. He'll be on a winning team. But he'll be sweating and not even remotely looking good.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
More like guys who know what they need, and realize that pants pockets won't be enough to carry those items.

So, they have two choices. One, get a pock-organizer or bag to carry what they need. Or, walk around without those items; and be completely unprepared to make it through their day thus feeling like an idiot. But, not having small-minded strangers think less of them. It's like having that one guy on your team during a pick-up game of basketball. The guy who would rather lose, but look good doing it; instead of hustling out there and breaking a sweat in order to win. He'll be on a winning team. But he'll be sweating and not even remotely looking good.

Yeah, that's what woman say about THEIR pocketbooks...there's just no practical way to carry all the stuff they need without one.

Hey, manbags are getting very popular now a days.

:nana:

You know I'm just busting, right?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know you're kidding. But it just reminds me of the story that one member over at EDCF posted.

His dad was getting older, and it was clear he needed a few things to get through the day. So his son set him up with a small bag that contained a number of useful items (including a nice Nitecore flashlight). His dad had a much easier time getting through the day. Even used the Nitecore on a daily basis. Things went great for awhile. Then, one of the guy's old army buddies started ribbing him about walking around with a purse. So, he stopped carrying it. The son reported that things quickly went downhill. His dad started having all the same problems all over again. Making it through the day had gotten difficult for him. Very difficult actually. Needless to say, the son didn't think much of his dad's old army buddy.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
Ordered a 5.11 rush messenger after nymphs video reviews and mulling over but deciede on it.

Should be here in a week or so @ which point I'll do a small review for those interested.

Thanks guys!

egrep

Enlightened
speaking of EDCF and messenger bags there's a thread there started by member 'tarfu' about the Hazard 4 Kato messenger bag. It replaced the Tom Bihn Ristretto. There's lots of pictures from various folks in the thread. Holds an iPad or other tablet and even a MacBook Air 11" at the same time. Tons of room for gear, PALS webbing, etc.. I ordered mine from Tactical Distributors and got a 15% discount and free next day shipping. I'm kind of nutty about my man bags, but this is my current 'favorite'.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a custom made, hybrid messenger bag made of a tough MIL spec mesh and different sizes of nylon webbing. I;ve been using it every day on my bicycle for over eight years.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
any pix sub umbra?
Sorry, no. Ooops, see below. As bad as I am at taking pics you wouldn't see much detail. FWIW I searched long and hard for the mesh. At the time I built I found black mesh as low as $3 a yd. I finally settled on a black MIL spec mesh that was over $13 a yd -- and that was a long time ago.

Anyway the mesh bag is reinforced from the inside with at least four different widths of black nylon webbing (sized for the part of the bag being reinforced) both vertically and horizontally. I used #69 UV resistant nylon thread. All of the bags I've built with these same materials are very stealthy in front of cameras.

It's held up very well through years and years of daily use. The UV has lightened parts of it up slightly.

Yikes! I just found a pic! It doesn't show but a small fraction of the webbing on the inside and what may be seen is hard to see.

The pic was taken to show someone how the "pen holder" on the strap works -- It doesn't belong on the bag in the pic. That's a Choate plastic dagger next to it. There is a place inside the pen holder for the knife. I attached a plastic spring clip to the knife and thats the only part that sticks out of the pen holder. Many commercially produced bags/pouches for the consumer have a clip like that sewn somewhere to secure a keyring. That's what it looks like when the knife is in place. The knife is drawn by grabbing the clip and pulling straight down. It lives on one of the bags I made for Mrs Umbra, not on the bag in the pic below.

I built the bag of a mesh to make it more friendly in stores. I figured out ahead of time where various types of loads were likely to damage the mesh and I reinforced it with webbing ranging in width from .25" to 1.5" on the inside. It actually worked. It's tough as nails.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pic doesn't do it justice. It is much bigger than it looks. I can easily haul two one gal jugs of whatever and with the waist strap it distributes the weight like a cross between a fanny pack and a messenger bag.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
Got my 5.11 Rush messenger yesterday.
Loaded it up and wow. what a fantastic quality bag.

the material is top notch, the stitching and zippers are superb.
A lot of pockets for organizing and I like the molle webbing for adding sheaths and additional small pouches to it.

3 things I don't like.
1) The main strap twists up quite abit and could use a rotating attachment point at the large side release buckle to prevent twisting.
2) the side compartments taper down at the bottom and don't fully open enough for my needs.
3) and the most major issue is that at 5" wide, it's just not wide enough. I absolutely wish that it had cinching straps and 5" was the minimum but it expanded to 7" or 8".

If they release a mark2 version of this bag that's wider, I'd 100% buy it again.

Pix to follow later on.

Latest posts