Edc while wearing a suit

robeden

Newly Enlightened
I need my 3rd light ever. First light was a Surefire incan E2E. Next was a Zebralight H31. Now I'm looking for a good edc. Because I'm always wearing a suit, I need something small but extremely bright. I think I have it narrowed down to a Jetbeam rrt-0 ($102) and an rrt-01 ($78).

Of those two, which would you choose and why?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need my 3rd light ever. First light was a Surefire incan E2E. Next was a Zebralight H31. Now I'm looking for a good edc. Because I'm always wearing a suit, I need something small but extremely bright. I think I have it narrowed down to a Jetbeam rrt-0 ($102) and an rrt-01 ($78).

01! besides being newer, looks "cooler". And the price is really cheaper! (nice!)

Hmm...I might get a RRT01 myself. :)

yifu

Enlightened
The Preon 2 satin titanium would be great, and looks classy with a suit as well (looks like a pen). Besides it won't bulge out like the other options. I won't EDC a Preon 2 in my daily use due to runtime/brightness issues but for a suit, a penlight form factor is the most suitable and the Preon 2 is one of the brightest and the best penlights out there.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preon 2 no good. The switch is too soft. I have found my Preon 2 with dead batteries twice because the light turned itself on. And my man bag glowing a different time.

awenta

Enlightened
Preon 2 no good. The switch is too soft. I have found my Preon 2 with dead batteries twice because the light turned itself on. And my man bag glowing a different time.

I wonder if there is a fix or switch upgrade. Maybe you need a twisty?

Shouldn't be a big problem if it's in a coat pocket.

robeden

Newly Enlightened
I've never liked the idea of a pen light. I'm looking for something Super bright. If I could get away with it, I'd carry a ZL SC600w. I plan on carrying this in my front pocket, so anything up to a 25mm bezel, I can live with. And I DEF want to use rechargeable li-ion.

I love the idea of the forward clicky and op reflector of the rrt-0 but I came across a deal to get the rrt-01 at $78 shipped if I buy 3. If I could find someone to machine an extender to fit an 18650 for the rrt-01, it'd be a done deal!!

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
How about a ShiningBeam S-Mini XM-L ? 10.5 - 400 lumens, 1 x 18650, Dimensions: 11.4 CM x 2.2 CM x 2.2 CM, Weight: 1.6 oz

Or a ZebraLight SC60W ? 0.2 - 260 lumens, :Diameter: 1 inch (25.4 mm), Length: 4 inch (100 mm), Weight 1.8 oz (50 g) excluding battery

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the new V10R Ti+, 500 lumens CLICKY

Only problem with the magnetic ring lights is that their low lumen runtimes are kinda poor.. But not a problem if you're a power user.

yifu

Enlightened
Well, you can always lock it out with a twist of the head! Yes, it does make it less convenient but it prevents accidental actuations 100% of the time.

Samy

Enlightened
I carry a Neutral Preon 2 in stealth black for work in suit style pants. I lockout the head with a twist. Great light with very high output.

Cheers

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not "super bright," but in my years as a flashaholic, I've always been in a suit or at least dress-pants/shirt and tie, and I don't know if I have ever NEEDED more light than high on my Aeon, which has been my EDC for at least a few years. I have brighter in the car (and in my desk, just in case), as well as in my pocket when I get home and put on my jeans or other non-dress pants.
The Aeon is small, damn durable, bright enough, and efficient as hell. My #1, no question about it my dress-clothes EDC.
Of course, you want super bright, so feel free to ignore my totally unhelpful advice!!

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I wear a suit everyday. I have a V10R but it's a bit too bulky for me (any CR123 size light will be bulky on me as my pants are fitted and not loose). The V10R stays in my carry bag that I use for work.

Right now I carry an ITP A3 in stainless, and it hides away in my pants or jacket pocket better than a stick of chapstick. I also keep a 10440 in it so when I need some blinding light, I know it's there.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd choose the RRT-01.

Compared to the RRT-0, the RRT-01 has the following advantages:

(1) Much smaller (both thinner and shorter). Also the shape is more cylindrical so your suit will have fewer bulges. The RRT-0 is very large for a 1x CR123 light. It's almost the size of a 2xCR123 light.

(2) Easy one-handed operation with no need to flip the light 180 degrees in your hand after turning it on.

(3) Holds a larger IMR battery for longer runtime. When using rechargeable li-ion, the RRT-0 holds a 16340 only, compared to 16340 or 18350 in the RRT-01. Neither light should be used with ICR 16340 cells as the amp draw is almost certainly above the 1.5 amp safe discharge rate of that type of cell. I recommend using either primary CR123 or IMR cells only.

(4) Bright. Jetbeam rates the RRT-01 at 500 lumens. My guess is at turn-on with a fresh IMR cell the light is brighter than that. Maybe 550 lumens, which suggests that both lights have the same current draw. However, the RRT-0 might have better heatsinking due to its larger size. So if you're planning on extended burns at max power the RRT-01 might be inferior.

(5) The RRT-0 has a very long travel in the control ring (approximately 270 degrees), and has a strobe at one end that could be accidentally triggered. In contrast the RRT-01 has a much shorter 120 degree ring travel with no strobe to accidentally hit. Shorter travel in the ring means the light is easier to turn on and adjust in one hand motion.

Last edited:

robeden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really liked the idea of something I can carry around after work too and can cover all the bases (or most) in one light. I'm sure this ridiculous notion will fade as I hang around here more.

And thanks tons for the input Fireclaw. I'm really leaning to the rrt-01.

That SWM V10R+ is ridiculous! If I had a spare $90 sitting around that'd be the light to have. I really like the N-light Vinhnguyen54 has up in the Marketplace. It's tiny and fits an IMR18650 at 4.5V and a claimed 1000 lumens from an XM-L U2 emitter. :naughty: BUUUT.... Perhaps I should get a little more flashlight savvy before venturing into that territory.

A10K

Newly Enlightened
One last comment before you make your very good decision on the RRT-01: Look at Eagletac's D25 series. They're very smooth and elegant lights, not quite penlights but with minimal knurling/crenelation. They also come in 1/2 AA sizes if you want something slimmer.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
If you put it in your pants pocket, I agree with you but in a shirt pocket or suit coat pocket I never had a problem.